Working Premise: Every sports team's nickname can be offensive

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Lets try this. Pick one of your favorite sports teams, and try to be offended by it:

I'll go first.

New York Giants:

This is troubling for two opposite reasons. First, gigantism is an awful disease, shortening the lifespan of the person suffering from it. Use of the concept for a team mascot is damaging to their self esteem. Second, by implying being a "Giant" is something powerful (the usually oppression found in sports teams nicknames), one is consequently diminishing or ignoring the power of those short in stature or size.

One doesn't even have to go into the inherent oppression found in American Football in general to be offended.

I've always been offended that grown functioning adults actually named a professional sports team the "Mighty Ducks". Although if they were going for comedy they hit the mark.

I'm still offended that the Tampa Bay Devil Rays took the Devil out.

Then there's the Cincinnati Reds, who in the '50s tweaked their name to "Redlegs" so they wouldn't be thought of as "communists".

The Chicago White Sox. Implies that the other team has not done its laundry.

The Cubs on the other hand -- I'm not sure it's possible to find anything offensive about that. They may be the exception that proves the rule. Along with the Buffalo Bills.

Say -- if the San Diego Chargers match up against the Buffalo Bills ----- who gets the check?

San Diego Padres. Misogynist.

You also forgot the whole Catholic thing, and thus supporting the cover up of kid touching by priests.

I thought that padre mascot looked kid touchy creepy.

Say -- if the San Diego Chargers match up against the Buffalo Bills ----- who gets the check?

Whoever gets is has do deal with the "Chargers" inherent support of electricity, and thus fossil fuel use, and the Bill's cultural appropriation of the Buffalo, AND bringing back the memory of a gun toting (hence bad) cultural oppressor of native americans.

The Cubs on the other hand -- I'm not sure it's possible to find anything offensive about that. They may be the exception that proves the rule. Along with the Buffalo Bills.

The Cubs speciest-ly appropriate bear identity and use it for corporate profit.

It's an irony that one LA team is called the "Dodgers" (obviously cowards) yet it's the other team who can't figure out where they play -- "Angels of Anaheim, Los Angeles, California or ...Wherever"

The Cubs speciest-ly appropriate bear identity and use it for corporate profit.

Co-opting young Bear-Americans.

Kansas City Royals -- elitist snobs. Chiefs -- same thing. Must be a citywide inferiority complex.

And speaking of elitist, if the Baltimore Orioles really wanted to be inclusive they'd be the "And/Orioles".

It's an irony that one LA team is called the "Dodgers" (obviously cowards) yet it's the other team who can't figure out where they play -- "Angels of Anaheim, Los Angeles, California or ...Wherever"

I never get why they would want to be part of LA. California Angels was fine, like Golden State Warriors.

New York Rangers. Implies gun ownership, and law enforcement, both taboo.

I never get why they would want to be part of LA. California Angels was fine, like Golden State Warriors.

The Warriors moved from Philadelphia. I think they should call themselves the Golden State Showers.

That's another thing -- the New Orleans Jazz moving to Utah and NOT changing their name. Because the first thing you think of associated with Salt Lake City is ... jazz.

Forum List

Back