World's largest solar plant now online

in MURICA too deniers:

The World's Largest Solar Plant Started Creating Electricity Today
The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System is now operational and delivering solar electricity to California customers. At full capacity, the facility's trio of 450-foot high towers produces a gross total of 392 megawatts (MW) of solar power, enough electricity to provide 140,000 California homes with clean energy and avoid 400,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year, equal to removing 72,000 vehicles off the road.
tMoq4sK.jpg
So is it operating or not. There seems to be some contention on this thread that this site is not up. Problems have been encountered. Have you posted that yet?

I have flown over it three times since it became "operational". It has not yet been operational when I flew over. Nat Gas may have been as I have no way of knowing that....but the solar was definitely NOT.

in MURICA too deniers:

The World's Largest Solar Plant Started Creating Electricity Today
The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System is now operational and delivering solar electricity to California customers. At full capacity, the facility's trio of 450-foot high towers produces a gross total of 392 megawatts (MW) of solar power, enough electricity to provide 140,000 California homes with clean energy and avoid 400,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year, equal to removing 72,000 vehicles off the road.
tMoq4sK.jpg
So is it operating or not. There seems to be some contention on this thread that this site is not up. Problems have been encountered. Have you posted that yet?

The site is not operating. As far as the problems at Ivanpah, the owners have been silent,
Google is one of the owners, I imagine Google will not link to news stories about the problems.

Either way, this is the very last CSP of this type that will ever be built. It has proven itself to be a failure.

The cost is prohibitive, this one was built because Obama gave 1.6$ billion to the project.

Further, you must take public land, land that is suppose to be ours forever, and give it to the private corporations. not many Corporations have the cash to buy 17 square miles.

The cost to the environment is too great.

The amount of water is extreme, and that its in the desert, and california is in another drought season, which sometimes lasts as long as 7 years.

And with an unproven capacity factor of 31.7%, it will not provide a miniscule amount of electricity needed to simply pump water, which in California is 80% of our electrical usage (agriculture and industry use 90% of the water in California).

Seems the Liberal/Democrats at Google need to protect Googles stock price,

If you'd lose the paranoid conspiracy babbling, you'd appear less insane.

Just throwing it out there, Google can afford to lose billions, but the loss to us is greater, 17 square miles of land destroyed, how do we get that back?

But, Google is worth 268 billion dollars, how come they had to take 1.6 billion from the taxpayers, why does Google get my money to make more profit?

Huge Ivanpah solar power plant, owned by Google and Oakland company, opens as industry booms - ContraCostaTimes.com

Huge Ivanpah solar power plant, owned by Google and Oakland company, opens as industry booms

Back around 10 years ago, there were any number of Wind Farms posting daily production reports.
I've archived about 8 different ones. BUT TODAY -- you can barely find isolated examples of wind projects reporting their hourly, daily, or monthly output.. They have been PURGED..

I doubt that CSP projects will ever let the public monitor their production..
This is one reason why --- the news on Ivanpah can't be that great..

It's that massive climate science conspiracy again. OOOOooooh... they're EVIL, aren't they. Satan worshipping commies bent on destroying this nation because they HATE TRUTH and FREEDOM and RICH PETROLEUM EXECUTIVES.

It's that massive climate science conspiracy again. OOOOooooh... they're EVIL, aren't they. Satan worshipping commies bent on destroying this nation because they HATE TRUTH and FREEDOM and RICH PETROLEUM EXECUTIVES.

So, this is Abraham's response to all those posts that repeatedly corrected the bullshit and lies Abraham posted

Abraham's posts were all shown to be either of a person who knew nothing of what he spoke or Abraham was simply a parrot, a shill, a stooge, and this is your response?

Of course you must ignore all those posts that expose you as a fraud.

Take a good look folks, as the truth about Green Energy is told and learned by the public, the Leftist/Liberal/Democrat will become more radicalized.

Abraham, thank you for validating all the facts about Solar Power's Failure I posted by not defending your statements.

So, this is Abraham's response to all those posts that repeatedly corrected the bullshit and lies Abraham posted

Abraham's posts were all shown to be either of a person who knew nothing of what he spoke or Abraham was simply a parrot, a shill, a stooge, and this is your response?

Take a good look folks, as the truth about Green Energy is told and learned by the public, the Leftist/Liberal/Democrat will become more radicalized.

Abraham, thank you for validating all the facts about Solar Power's Failure I posted by not defending your statements.

So... your idea of a successful debate - of one in which you've done well - is one in which your opponent doesn't show up. Quite the test. A real thorough demonstration of your profound knowledge. What amazing confidence and proficiency you've displayed here. Now I think I'll go have a look and see what the heck you're cackling about.

So... your idea of a successful debate - of one in which you've done well - is one in which your opponent doesn't show up. Quite the test. A real thorough demonstration of your profound knowledge. What amazing confidence and proficiency you've displayed here. Now I think I'll go have a look and see what the heck you're cackling about.

Right, still aint addressing your lies, attack me but do not quote where I pointed out all your errors, all the things that you posted that were easily proven that you have no knowledge, you keep up the personal attack, like you have not read the two dozen posts where I corrected the misinformation you posted.

Yea, go back, like you have not even seen what I am talking about. Even though I had to repeat the same post in response to your insults and flames when you had nothing else.

Yea, go take a good look as if I have not told you a dozen times that Ivanpah never became operation despite you stating it was and at that was producing 300% more power than designed while not even working.

Abraham, the victim, now go see what I am cackling about cause you don't know, pobre voce.

The site is not operating. As far as the problems at Ivanpah, the owners have been silent,
Google is one of the owners, I imagine Google will not link to news stories about the problems.

Either way, this is the very last CSP of this type that will ever be built. It has proven itself to be a failure.

The cost is prohibitive, this one was built because Obama gave 1.6$ billion to the project.

Further, you must take public land, land that is suppose to be ours forever, and give it to the private corporations. not many Corporations have the cash to buy 17 square miles.

The amount of water is extreme, and that its in the desert, and california is in another drought season, which sometimes lasts as long as 7 years.

And with an unproven capacity factor of 31.7%, it will not provide a miniscule amount of electricity needed to simply pump water, which in California is 80% of our electrical usage (agriculture and industry use 90% of the water in California).

You've got an amazing penchant for posting falsehoods.

— All Three Units of 392 megawatt Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System Now Delivering Solar Power to California’s Electric Grid —

World?s Largest Solar Thermal Power Project at Ivanpah Achieves Commercial Operation

Solar thermal has not failed. The plant is doing precisely what it was built to do at precisely the predicted cost. No more solar thermal plants will get built for the foreseeable future because the cost of photovoltaic and natural gas have fallen. The dropping cost of PV has made the idea of distributed power generation far more feasible. We're all going to start putting PV panels on our roofs.

The government did not give 1.6 billion for the construction of the plant. They gave a loan guarantee on which they have not had to pay out one cent. They DID give Bright Source a tax credit because the plant is not nuclear and does not emit GHGs. This will total about $800 million over the next two years.

The land used by Ivanpah - in fact the public land available for use by wind and solar concerns (and these are rights of way vice leases since no mineral extraction is performed - the land could be restored to its original conditions simply by removing the installed equipment) - are less than 3% of the land available for lease for oil, coal, gas and mineral extraction. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R40806.pdf

The amount of water used by Ivanpah is less than a nearby golf course uses to water two of its holes. Water is NOT used to cool the working fluid. The only water used at the plant is keeping the mirrors clean.

I don't like being called a liar missy. Put up or shut up, as the saying goes. I want to know specifically what statements of mine you believe were lies and the evidence that makes you think so. And let me say up front that I don't call mistakes, lies; else I would have had more than a few additional comments for you along the way.

ps: if you don't like my absences, don't get involved with people who still work for a living.

Last edited:
Back around 10 years ago, there were any number of Wind Farms posting daily production reports.
I've archived about 8 different ones. BUT TODAY -- you can barely find isolated examples of wind projects reporting their hourly, daily, or monthly output.. They have been PURGED..

The truth would inflict a direct hit on the mining of the US Treasury underway to feather the next of the Green swindles going on in the country at this time.

It's too bad when the taxpayer is the person who is never consulted, tapped unmercifully for phony projects, then purged of his wages "for his own good." :(

It takes a staggering five square miles and three hundred thousand 7 ft mirrors to power one hundred forty thousand homes on it's best day? WTF?

Wow, I hadn't thought of that. So "sustainable" part-time power takes 10% of the land required to energize a typical community? That's just very inefficient.

The truth would inflict a direct hit on the mining of the US Treasury underway to feather the next of the Green swindles going on in the country at this time.

It's too bad when the taxpayer is the person who is never consulted, tapped unmercifully for phony projects, then purged of his wages "for his own good." :(

Let me be concise and succinct: BULLSHIT

It takes a staggering five square miles and three hundred thousand 7 ft mirrors to power one hundred forty thousand homes on it's best day? WTF?

Wow, I hadn't thought of that. So "sustainable" part-time power takes 10% of the land required to energize a typical community? That's just very inefficient.

Compared to what? To provide as much energy as Ivanpah will in the next year would require 50 MILLION CUBIC METERS of natural gas which would have produced several TIMES that much volume of GHG emissions.

That's just very inefficient.

Let me be concise and succinct: BULLSHIT

Read it and weep, bootlicker: Green Graveyard of Taxpayer Ripoffs

You should speak only when spoken to and stay under the porch until you're ready to run with the big doggies, silly puppy. ;)

Compared to what?

Compared to a Natural Gas plant that takes up about 300 acres and powers 150,000 homes.

To provide as much energy as Ivanpah will in the next year would require 50 MILLION CUBIC METERS of natural gas which would have produced several TIMES that much volume of GHG emissions.

What's the land use to get that gas?

That's just very inefficient.
Only if you think Carbon Dioxide can't be mitigated and that there is a finite ceiling instead of a factor for which humans can adjust.

See that's the other problem of the Climate Change policy argument, none of the solutions being proposed are workable and are proven.

You've got an amazing penchant for posting falsehoods.

— All Three Units of 392 megawatt Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System Now Delivering Solar Power to California’s Electric Grid —

World?s Largest Solar Thermal Power Project at Ivanpah Achieves Commercial Operation

Solar thermal has not failed. The plant is doing precisely what it was built to do at precisely the predicted cost. No more solar thermal plants will get built for the foreseeable future because the cost of photovoltaic and natural gas have fallen. The dropping cost of PV has made the idea of distributed power generation far more feasible. We're all going to start putting PV panels on our roofs.

The government did not give 1.6 billion for the construction of the plant. They gave a loan guarantee on which they have not had to pay out one cent. They DID give Bright Source a tax credit because the plant is not nuclear and does not emit GHGs. This will total about $800 million over the next two years.

The land used by Ivanpah - in fact the public land available for use by wind and solar concerns (and these are rights of way vice leases since no mineral extraction is performed - the land could be restored to its original conditions simply by removing the installed equipment) - are less than 3% of the land available for lease for oil, coal, gas and mineral extraction. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R40806.pdf

The amount of water used by Ivanpah is less than a nearby golf course uses to water two of its holes. Water is NOT used to cool the working fluid. The only water used at the plant is keeping the mirrors clean.

I don't like being called a liar missy. Put up or shut up, as the saying goes. I want to know specifically what statements of mine you believe were lies and the evidence that makes you think so. And let me say up front that I don't call mistakes, lies; else I would have had more than a few additional comments for you along the way.

ps: if you don't like my absences, don't get involved with people who still work for a living.

Oh.. So the owners put out a GLOWING press release that says it's OPEN.. And that's all you need to write that many words? Not even curious how it's PERFORMING? Or the production numbers? Or whether it WORKS according to design??

No way you're an engineer..

Forum List

Back