Would you fly in a battery operated airplane?

Would you fly in a battery powered jet/plane?

• Been there, done that

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Battery operated cars, battery operated SUV's, battery operated trucks...........

Now they are working on battery operated big rigs and motorcycles.

Would you fly in an airplane that is powered by batteries???

1200px-Boeing_787_N1015B_ANA_Airlines_%2827611880663%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

If the plane has the ability to be glided in for a landing, then I wouldn't hesitate to fly it in. If it is a flying battery that falls from the sky, I will pass.

And just for the record, I had an off-airport landing once when the fuel pump on the single engine rent-a-plane I was flying decided it wasn't going to work any more. Emergency landings were something I had practiced so many times, it wasn't as big of a deal as one might imagine, at least for me. The guy whose field I landed in was pooping bricks though when he saw me coming in. If I had been over a densely populated area when it happened, who knows what would have happened.

Battery operated cars, battery operated SUV's, battery operated trucks...........

So here you are at 30,000 ft or around 5 miles up. Your flying along at 250 mph since that is all the speed you can get out of your props. It is real cold up that high, so you turn on the heater....It starts to rain, you turn on your wipers....your 250 mile range, just went to 150 and you already went 149 miles...I wont buy an all electric vehicle for the same reason....long time to charge and if you dont have a charging station near by, walking is your last resort.
And a short circuit cuts all your electric power at the Mile High Club. WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I support John Kerry and every fucking assklown libturd here flying only electric during severe thunderstorms.

I'm sure John Denver would approve of experimental aircraft too.

We have an AirplaneMechanic as a member. I bet he knows slightly more than we do....lolol

If a short circuit will bring down an electric plane, it will bring down a normal plane.

This idea that the electric planes are designed by idiots is ridiculous. They will have heat on the plane, or the people will freeze too. The limitations for range will be much less, since there will be a much bigger battery bank.

Batteries are heavy. That won't fly!

Fuel is heavy too. Batteries are getting smaller. Yes, it will fly.
OK. you UA moron. That sociology degree is failing you again. If a battery loses it's charge, does the plane get lighter?

I think electric powered hybrid airships are very feasible.

This craft has electric propellers. It's diesel-electric IIRC. You could probably make something similar that is battery powered.

54caf36723dfa_-_battle-blimp-01-0812-lgn.jpg

If the weight of the batteries is an issue you could just use more helium for more buoyancy.

Last edited:
It is amazing that, with all the advances we have seen just in our lifetimes, people have so little imagination concerning what interesting new things could be done. So many people are stuck in old ideas and approaches!

So here you are at 30,000 ft or around 5 miles up. Your flying along at 250 mph since that is all the speed you can get out of your props. It is real cold up that high, so you turn on the heater....It starts to rain, you turn on your wipers....your 250 mile range, just went to 150 and you already went 149 miles...I wont buy an all electric vehicle for the same reason....long time to charge and if you dont have a charging station near by, walking is your last resort.
And a short circuit cuts all your electric power at the Mile High Club. WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I support John Kerry and every fucking assklown libturd here flying only electric during severe thunderstorms.

I'm sure John Denver would approve of experimental aircraft too.

We have an AirplaneMechanic as a member. I bet he knows slightly more than we do....lolol

If a short circuit will bring down an electric plane, it will bring down a normal plane.

This idea that the electric planes are designed by idiots is ridiculous. They will have heat on the plane, or the people will freeze too. The limitations for range will be much less, since there will be a much bigger battery bank.

Batteries are heavy. That won't fly!

Fuel is heavy too. Batteries are getting smaller. Yes, it will fly.
OK. you UA moron. That sociology degree is failing you again. If a battery loses it's charge, does the plane get lighter?

Ok, you cow college idiot, you have trouble with reading comprehension.

The batteries are getting smaller and lighter. There will not be a plane that will take off unless the batteries can provide power for the flight, with a comfortable margin for safety. I have said I would not fly in an experimental aircraft. So the planes would have to be perfected.

It is bound to be a more reliable way to travel than the Gus Bus.

This craft has electric propellers. It's diesel-electric IIRC. You could probably make something similar that is battery powered.

If the weight of the batteries is an issue you could just use more helium for more buoyancy.
Helium powered airships have always used battery powered fans for propulsion, as far as I am aware. Using fossil fuel engines near anything filled with gas, is essentially a flying bomb.

Any scientists on here here, please advise on this concept, as I am very curious.

IF I liked flying, which I don't, I would not mind being on an airship like this, because if there's a problem, they land softly.....they just don't drop to the ground.

There's been about a dozen Airbus crashes in the last couple of decades due mostly to electronic glitches and you expect people to trust the technology that runs on batteries alone? You gotta be kidding

Helium powered airships have always used battery powered fans for propulsion, as far as I am aware. Using fossil fuel engines near anything filled with gas, is essentially a flying bomb.

Any scientists on here here, please advise on this concept, as I am very curious.

IF I liked flying, which I don't, I would not mind being on an airship like this, because if there's a problem, they land softly.....they just don't drop to the ground.
Helium is not flammable.

I don't see how you will get the same thrust as with a jet engine.

It might be OK for small prop planes

Forum List

Back