XB-70 Valkyrie

Really? A freaking missile could do the same thing and wouldn't have to be refueled
Why do we have bombers in 2023?
Rockets in the early 60’s?

1693221628727.gif

Last edited:
I get that changing technology rendered the XB-70 unnecessary before it even got to be put into service. Still, it seems tragic for the one surviving example to just be on static display in a museum.

Only two were ever built. One, as reported, was destroyed in a collision with an F-104. The other has not flown since 1969.

I wish someone would restore it, and show it off at airshows.

I get that changing technology rendered the XB-70 unnecessary before it even got to be put into service. Still, it seems tragic for the one surviving example to just be on static display in a museum.

Only two were ever built. One, as reported, was destroyed in a collision with an F-104. The other has not flown since 1969.

It would cost too much money just to take off from the runway.

I bet it would cost more than $10,000 in fuel just to get it off the ground, let alone fly for a few minutes.

Avionics:Engine:6x 6 × General Electric YJ93-GE-3 afterburning
Jet

It would cost too much money just to take off from the runway.
I bet it would cost more than $10,000 in fuel just to get it off the ground, let alone fly for a few minutes.

It'd be no small cost, to be sure.

There are groups out there that restore and maintain large vintage aircraft that have to be pretty expensive to maintain and operate. Most prominently World War II vintage bombers. If the surviving XB-70 were made available, then surely some similar group would step up with the resources to restore it, and at least occasionally take it to the air.

A friend of mine down in Carson City has a piece of the crashed one.

Forum List

Back