🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

you can't make this stuff up. wtf?

Nevr mind, ravi; I have it. From the same CDC report on 4/5/2011
Jennifer Kherani: I see. Do you happen to know if there has been either an increase in miscarriages or abortions or if that is a completely unrelated statistic?

Ursula Bauer: The data that we have in Vital Signs around teen birth is for 2009. The CDC does have a report called the Abortion Surveillance Report that reports data from 2007 and from what we've seen over time there are declines in the rates of abortion for all age groups including teens. We've also noticed that there's a decline in the number of abortions to live births which implies a decrease in pregnancy rates overall. Again, we don't have specific information on miscarriage rates but overall pregnancy rates and abortion rates are declining. What we're seeing is long-term declines in both teen birth rates and teen abortion rates and therefore we're hopeful that teen pregnancy rates are coming down. We're also seeing declines in the percentage of high school students who are sexually active and we're seeing increases in the use of effective contraception among those high school students who are sexually active. So all of these trends point to very positive outcomes for our teens so we can be optimistic about the future. However, that 400,000 number is quite startling and we need to reenergize our efforts to bring that down.
[Emphasis added] CDC Media Relations - Press Briefing Transcript: April 5, 2011

So, teen births are down and teen abortions are down.

I'm not so sure that claiming that teen pregnancies are up is such a good idea at all.

But you still think teen pregnancies are up.

:rofl:

Last edited:
Nevr mind, ravi; I have it. From the same CDC report on 4/5/2011
Jennifer Kherani: I see. Do you happen to know if there has been either an increase in miscarriages or abortions or if that is a completely unrelated statistic?

Ursula Bauer: The data that we have in Vital Signs around teen birth is for 2009. The CDC does have a report called the Abortion Surveillance Report that reports data from 2007 and from what we've seen over time there are declines in the rates of abortion for all age groups including teens. We've also noticed that there's a decline in the number of abortions to live births which implies a decrease in pregnancy rates overall. Again, we don't have specific information on miscarriage rates but overall pregnancy rates and abortion rates are declining. What we're seeing is long-term declines in both teen birth rates and teen abortion rates and therefore we're hopeful that teen pregnancy rates are coming down. We're also seeing declines in the percentage of high school students who are sexually active and we're seeing increases in the use of effective contraception among those high school students who are sexually active. So all of these trends point to very positive outcomes for our teens so we can be optimistic about the future. However, that 400,000 number is quite startling and we need to reenergize our efforts to bring that down.
[Emphasis added] CDC Media Relations - Press Briefing Transcript: April 5, 2011

So, teen births are down and teen abortions are down.

I'm not so sure that claiming that teen pregnancies are up is such a good idea at all.

But you still think teen pregnancies are up.

:rofl:

I wish I were half the troll that Ravi is.

how do you know they have no reason to skew their results?

what makes you think that the charitable arm of a private for-profit corporation exists for anything beyond a tax writeoff?
Or more likely as a profitable form of advertising.

So, taking a politically incorrect, and 'uncool' stance on teen sex is profitable as an advertising tool? I seriously doubt that, Ravi.

when did advocating for teen pregnancy become *politically correct*?

:eusa_hand:

please

What is it that you think the charity has to gain by skewing their own results? They're not publicly funded, they had no reason to twist their results. This is a very standard way of ascertaining which celebrities a charity to target to work with. They get feedback from their target demographic and use that as a starting point. Then, they research those celebrities and approach them. Once they have a group of celebs, they develop campaigns around those people.

I honestly don't think many people on this board are thinking about this logically. Bristol Palin was a good choice, for some strange reason (probably that Dancing on Ice shit) she has name recognition, and young people (again for some strange reason) seem to like or respect her. So they used her. What is the problem with that? Give me just one logical, well thought out reason why not? Not an opinion (like they should use virigins), or a set of other celebs, or any bullshit... just one LOGICAL reason against her.

how do you know they have no reason to skew their results?

what makes you think that the charitable arm of a private for-profit corporation exists for anything beyond a tax writeoff?
Or more likely as a profitable form of advertising.

Yes, there is always that. Charity has same name as the store. Not that such a move is a bad thing, i like to see companies advocate for causes that benefit their customer base in a positive way.

The CDC hasn't released a report since 2007.

Interesting that pregnancy is considered a disease, though.
But the CDC said on 4/5/2011 that the teen pregnancies are down.

You say they are up and I still laugh at you for it.
Yeah, they said a report they released in 2007 made that claim.

Pretty sad that you have to twist so much to defend an idiot pimping her child.

There's a difference between teen pregnancy rates and the rate of teens who give birth.

Feb 24 2010

For the first time in 16 years, teen pregnancy is on the rise. It's a trend one expert called "deeply troubling," as many see it linked to the decline of contraceptive use among teens and the increase of "abstinence only" sex education programs.

According to a January 2010 report from the Guttmacher Institute, the teen pregnancy rate in the United States rose 3% in 2006, paralleling the 4% rise in teen births and 1% rise in teen abortions for that year.

Teen Pregnancy - Rise in Teen Pregnancy After Decades of Decline
No shit. Take a look at my post.

And, according to the CDC, teen pregnancies are down.

I did look at your post and noticed your graph is of "teen births" which is what prompted me to post since that's not what Ravi had said...

FTR - You could actually make an argument that having superstars for these ads glamorizes teen pregnancy. I agree with what Luissa said, they should show some examples of less glamorous people if they really want to turn kids off.

There's a difference between teen pregnancy rates and the rate of teens who give birth.

I did look at your post and noticed your graph is of "teen births" which is what prompted me to post since that's not what Ravi had said...

FTR - You could actually make an argument that having superstars for these ads glamorizes teen pregnancy. I agree with what Luissa said, they should show some examples of less glamorous people if they really want to turn kids off.
But that wouldn't sell shoes.

And my edit also shows a Reuters article stating that the CDC said on 4/5/2011 that teen pregnancies are down. I've also posted the transcript of the CDC stating that. Out of their own words, teen pregnancies are down.

And my edit also shows a Reuters article stating that the CDC said on 4/5/2011 that teen pregnancies are down. I've also posted the transcript of the CDC stating that. Out of their own words, teen pregnancies are down.

4 years ago they were down. According to mo recent research they are back up.

The CDC hasn't released a report since 2007.

Interesting that pregnancy is considered a disease, though.
But the CDC said on 4/5/2011 that the teen pregnancies are down.

You say they are up and I still laugh at you for it.

No, they said in 2007. They just repeated the data from 2007 in an interview in 2011.
'No' what? The CDC didn't say teen pregnancies are down?

And the Guttmacher link said they were up in 2006.

Your point is what?

The data that we have in Vital Signs around teen birth is for 2009. The CDC does have a report called the Abortion Surveillance Report that reports data from 2007 and from what we've seen over time there are declines in the rates of abortion for all age groups including teens. We've also noticed that there's a decline in the number of abortions to live births which implies a decrease in pregnancy rates overall. Again, we don't have specific information on miscarriage rates but overall pregnancy rates and abortion rates are declining. What we're seeing is long-term declines in both teen birth rates and teen abortion rates and therefore we're hopeful that teen pregnancy rates are coming down. We're also seeing declines in the percentage of high school students who are sexually active and we're seeing increases in the use of effective contraception among those high school students who are sexually active. So all of these trends point to very positive outcomes for our teens so we can be optimistic about the future. However, that 400,000 number is quite startling and we need to reenergize our efforts to bring that down.​

from what i've read, they only count teen pregnancies if they're carried to term.

i hope they're down overall. it's times like these that i'm glad my daughter is gay.

is her last name wasn't palin, the neocons would just consider her another teenaged whore

from what i've read, they only count teen pregnancies if they're carried to term.

i hope they're down overall. it's times like these that i'm glad my daughter is gay.
Out of the CDC's own mouth:

The data that we have in Vital Signs around teen birth is for 2009. The CDC does have a report called the Abortion Surveillance Report that reports data from 2007 and from what we've seen over time there are declines in the rates of abortion for all age groups including teens. We've also noticed that there's a decline in the number of abortions to live births which implies a decrease in pregnancy rates overall. Again, we don't have specific information on miscarriage rates but overall pregnancy rates and abortion rates are declining. What we're seeing is long-term declines in both teen birth rates and teen abortion rates and therefore we're hopeful that teen pregnancy rates are coming down. We're also seeing declines in the percentage of high school students who are sexually active and we're seeing increases in the use of effective contraception among those high school students who are sexually active. So all of these trends point to very positive outcomes for our teens so we can be optimistic about the future. However, that 400,000 number is quite startling and we need to reenergize our efforts to bring that down.

Forum List

Back