🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

you can't make this stuff up. wtf?

I did read what was written. The point being that they are a campaigning charity, therefore the majority of their spend is gonna be on campaigning. And that includes paying their chosen celebrities to undertake work on their behalf. It's hardly an unusual way to run a charity. Nor does it suggest any 'mismanagement'.

In your opinion. That's the key phrase.

Campaigning constitutes all of the associated fees I just described. Not just a single salary to an individual.

It looks to me that Candies signed Bristol up with a roll of the dice in 2009, expecting that the donations should would help bring in would offset their gamble in the size of the salary they paid her. There is no data for 2010 given, but obviously indications from the 2009 data make it look like their gamble is going to fail. Which is another reason why I asked in what years the other celebrities were spokespeople and how much they got paid (if any). I would want to know if the charity has a record of rolling the dice like this.

The Candie's Foundation Announces Bristol Palin Initiative was Money Well Spent - Yahoo! Finance

he Candie's Foundation (the "Foundation") announced today that partnering with Bristol Palin was a successful vehicle to combat teenage pregnancy. Bristol Palin's work with the Foundation including multiple television and print PSAs, viral video, town hall meetings, and numerous media interviews has resulted in more than ONE BILLION media impressions. This is an unprecedented reach for a teen pregnancy prevention campaign.

The Candie's Foundation is not a grant-making organization. Like many other foundations, it develops and implements its own programs. The goal of the Foundation is to get people talking about teen pregnancy; this is done by producing and funding celebrity-driven public service television, print, radio and online announcements and campaigns.

The expense of Ms. Palin's campaign has been far more cost-effective than other public service and social marketing campaigns, some of which spend tens of millions of taxpayers' money each year. The Candie's Foundation is entirely funded by private donations and has never received taxpayer money

I don't care what they announce. No business or charity is ever going to say that they blew 21% of their gross for the year. They're always going to say that it was money well spent.

It's all PR. No one is going to voluntarily give themselves poor PR.

Could I suggest you watch it? There's at least one link to it in this thread. It's a strong, impactive ad. Ignore the money.... that's how much the charity deemed her value to be... and she was paid not for one ad, but to undertake the PR work to promote it as well.

I just watched it.

Yes it does have a good message. However i got several messages from that little piece she did.

Watching from the stand point that i DO know what kind of support she does have:

Play all you want if you are rich...if you are poor, pause before you play, life may not be so grand.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpHlztPeHf8]YouTube - Candies Foundation Bristol Palin PSA[/ame]

Yep. That's the point. These kids idolize celebrities.... and see celebrities with some cute kid perched happily on their hip, but they don't see the Nanny, the puke, the dirty diapers, the sleepless nights, the teething, etc etc etc.

Also, you might want to check this out.... the candie's foundation

This is the research running Palin's ad against others to see which was most impactive on their target audience. Palin's worked best. Hence, their decision to go with Palin.

I get the celebrity endorsement aspect of all of this. I dont believe for one second that bristol is a teen idol in any shape or fashion. Adults know who bristol and her mother are...but teens..no i dont believe so. Lady gaga or rehana sure thing, bristol not so much.

I am not sure i would trust their non independent research either.

Don't get me wrong if it makes ONE person think about birth control that's great. The other problem i have is that they are not saying up front and in your face to use condoms. Pregnancy wont kill you. The down side of this add would just be more abortions.

Teens know who Bristol is. They watch Dancing with the Stars as well and they all know "The Situation"

I am still flabbergasted by this entire thread. I think its an important message and a clever campaign. But even if the Candies Foundation was promoting "Bat Dung Awareness" who would give a shit what they paid Bat Girl to promote it? This is simply PDS to its extreme absurdity. Have we ever had a thread of the financial statements of any 501C 3? Who cares???? (Rhetorical question of course"

Bat dung crazies. That's who.

Actually, she is a good example. The ad is basically saying 'not everyone is as lucky as I am.... and showing how most teens will end up.... struggling to get by and raise a kid'.

Bear in mind, we don't know that she was their first choice.... we don't know if they approached others who turned it down. There's a lot we don't know about how Bristol came to be their spokesperson, but, frankly, I just don't have a problem with anyone giving kids a reality check about having a kid. I don't care who it is.

Then if the intent is to show struggling teen mothers, they should HAVE a struggling teen mother..or mothers being the mouth piece.... not some pampered, spoiled, well taken care of, not struggling for anything, brat who got knocked up, talking about it.

I am not sure ANY teen mother being offered that much money would turn it down. I think they chose her because of her name value.

As far as i am concerned bristol is not a reality check to teen motherhood...

If you watched the ad, you would know that THAT is exactly what she talked about. I appreciate the argument but..... the fact is this is ONE ad in an ongoing campaign.... and we don't know what the rest of the ads will be. Maybe they will choose to have a struggling teen mom, maybe they already have had a struggling teen mom. I doubt any of us have bothered to check that part.... because, as per usual, we look at one small part of it, instead of looking at this for what it is.... ONE small part of a much larger campaign.

The ad is not supposed to show Bristol as a reality check.... She says so in the ad.

It might help if you watched it before commenting.

Nope, they hire celebrities. I've been reading up on them. The 3 people who run the charity made over $16 million last year. Not a charity I would give any money.

Then if the intent is to show struggling teen mothers, they should HAVE a struggling teen mother..or mothers being the mouth piece.... not some pampered, spoiled, well taken care of, not struggling for anything, brat who got knocked up, talking about it.

I am not sure ANY teen mother being offered that much money would turn it down. I think they chose her because of her name value.

If you watched the ad, you would know that THAT is exactly what she talked about. I appreciate the argument but..... the fact is this is ONE ad in an ongoing campaign.... and we don't know what the rest of the ads will be. Maybe they will choose to have a struggling teen mom, maybe they already have had a struggling teen mom. I doubt any of us have bothered to check that part.... because, as per usual, we look at one small part of it, instead of looking at this for what it is.... ONE small part of a much larger campaign.

The ad is not supposed to show Bristol as a reality check.... She says so in the ad.

Nope, they hire celebrities. I've been reading up on them. The 3 people who run the charity made over $16 million last year. Not a charity I would give any money.

They made it from other revenue streams though. The founder of the Charity is also the CEO of Iconix, which also owns Candies, the teen store.

Was it over a 262K salary?

Come one radioman. I actually tried to find out the answer to your question and see how much their other "teen ambassadors" have been paid. It's no where on the net. Why? Because no one cares!!! And for most people, their salary is considered private information. Unless they work for the govt. How much do other celebrities get paid for PSA's? Who cares????

Teens know who Bristol is. They watch Dancing with the Stars as well and they all know "The Situation"

I am still flabbergasted by this entire thread. I think its an important message and a clever campaign. But even if the Candies Foundation was promoting "Bat Dung Awareness" who would give a shit what they paid Bat Girl to promote it? This is simply PDS to its extreme absurdity. Have we ever had a thread of the financial statements of any 501C 3? Who cares???? (Rhetorical question of course"

I care....I think everyone should know about the financial statements of the charities they give to, so they can give their money to the ones that provide the most help. I will not give to the Red Cross as they give so much to their CEO plus all living and traveling expenses. I have discussed that on this board before. I will give to the Salvation Army as more of their money gets to those who need it.

Mostly I give to our cancer sorority, Phi Beta Psi, Gamma Delta chapter. Almost 100% of the funds we raise go directly to the doctors doing the research to cure cancer. We pay dues to cover our overhead. Our chapter alone paid $5,000 for a machine for a local hospital, and still provided more than that to national for the research grants. In addition, we give ourselves every year to provide money for the community supper program at a local church AND we usually give money to someone down on their luck directly. Now THAT's a charity I recommend giving money to, not one that pays the people who made it up and run it $millions.

An issue with the payment to people who run it is absolutely legitimate. I'd agree with you that the amount appears excessive. However, I don't have an issue with a teen Mom giving potential teen Moms a dose of reality. Because that ad.... it shows how it is for some... and how it is for most. And, for most, it ain't pretty.

I also have an issue with the charity focusing solely on abstinence... while I do support abstinence... I think we also need to balance that with informing kids about contraceptives.

Was it over a 262K salary?

Come one radioman. I actually tried to find out the answer to your question and see how much their other "teen ambassadors" have been paid. It's no where on the net. Why? Because no one cares!!! And for most people, their salary is considered private information. Unless they work for the govt. How much do other celebrities get paid for PSA's? Who cares????

It was over unequal disbursement of funds.

And a salary paid for by a charity isn't private information by its very definition.

For my part, I really don't care if they hired Elmer Fudd to be a speech therapy spokesman at $262K. It's not about Palin for me.

I have a mind for business and numbers, and IMO its even more difficult to run a non-profit than a business. So it's an intellectual curiosity to me as to how they can outlay 21% of their revenue stream for a salary of any one individual. So now I'm curious as to if they have done this before and what their revenue model looks like.

Or, to put it another way, it's not about the dollar amount. It's about the percentage.

I said in the beginning of the thread that $262K seemed about par for the course for a celebrity endorsement of a product. Some much higher, some lower, but for a B-lister like Bristol...yeah...$262 seemed right.

Then I found out that equaled 21% of their gross, and I'm like WTF? To make a comparison, Nike pulled in $19B in gross profits in 2009. They would have to pay Tiger Woods over $4 BILLION to equal the percentage of gross this charity paid their spokesperson.

bristol palin has been hired to be the poster child for teen abstinence for $262K

really? really.

"Teen mom Bristol Palin, now 20, scored $262,000 in 2009 as Candie’s Foundation ambassador promoting abstinence.

Let me get this straight: Candie’s paid a teen mom a quarter-million dollars to tell other teens not to become teen moms?

According to the Candie’s Web site, Palin’s job — which she still has — is “helping other teens understand the incredible challenges teen parents face, and encouraging them to wait until they are socially and financially independent to start their families.”

What incredible challenges? Like walking the red carpet and mastering the paso doble on “Dancing with the Stars”?"

Teen mom Bristol Palin’s hefty check gives birth to outrage - BostonHerald.com

cut the shit

We finally agree on something. :cool: Shoot me that friends request :)

I care....I think everyone should know about the financial statements of the charities they give to, so they can give their money to the ones that provide the most help. I will not give to the Red Cross as they give so much to their CEO plus all living and traveling expenses. I have discussed that on this board before. I will give to the Salvation Army as more of their money gets to those who need it.

Mostly I give to our cancer sorority, Phi Beta Psi, Gamma Delta chapter. Almost 100% of the funds we raise go directly to the doctors doing the research to cure cancer. We pay dues to cover our overhead. Our chapter alone paid $5,000 for a machine for a local hospital, and still provided more than that to national for the research grants. In addition, we give ourselves every year to provide money for the community supper program at a local church AND we usually give money to someone down on their luck directly. Now THAT's a charity I recommend giving money to, not one that pays the people who made it up and run it $millions.

Different strokes for different folks. I give to a lot of different charities. I consider each to be valuable in its own way... and I look into the work they do before I donate. I would think most people do likewise.

Amazing - all these rich kids working for Candies and no one said a word. Maybe because it's a good message?

fboy.jpg

hilary.jpg

ciara.jpg

I don't know anything about those people. Are/were any teen parents?

Amazing - all these rich kids working for Candies and no one said a word. Maybe because it's a good message?

fboy.jpg

hilary.jpg

ciara.jpg

I don't know anything about those people. Are/were any teen parents?

Would that make them more credible or less?

I think showing students a picture of haggered looking girl in a trailer would probably work a little better, than showing a picture of Hilary Duff.

I see a poster with a celeb saying no to drugs I don't look twice. I see a poster of a before and after picture of a meth head I stare. Instead of treating children with kid gloves, show them the reality.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Well Luissa I agree with you there. Yet no where in our health textbooks are pictures of meth heads or botched episiotmies. So like I said, any prevention program - including school programs - has its limitations. But the intent is still noble.

Miley Cyrus comes to mind as a better choice for spokesperson.

She's has a huge base of fans among teens. She actually is a good example to the kids, having not had a baby, unlike Miss Palin.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I assume you have some kind of research to back that up. Some academic research demonstrating the suitability of Ms Cyrus measured against Ms Palin perhaps?

These guys who work for Candie's... they're experts with this target market. They know what does and does not work with teens. They've been running this foundation for 10 years, and they're the charity arm of the fashion brand.

You seem to think this is an 'either/or' thing... it isn't. They may well use Miley... assuming Miley agrees... they use a whole bunch of celebrities in a variety of ways.... you're looking at this as one message... it's not. Its part of a series of messages with a lot of celebs.

I find it sad that people can't see past their own prejudices to see the good that Bristol will do with this.
:confused: If they are experts in what they are doing, why has teen pregnancy gone UP since they started their foundation?

i agree. unfortunately, bristol isn't that *someone*.

is this a breakthrough?
That's what makes marketing a challenge. We do not all have the same tastes. But those making the decisions about what sort of marketing should be done, try to make decisions that give the best bang for their buck. It seems that is exactly what the foundation did.

so you're saying that bristol is an example of " Someone who used poor judgment and who now cannot go to college or be as free as her peers or follow her dreams as she originally envisioned them"?

really?

:lol:

such a kidder; you really had me going. :thup:
Who is preventing her from going to college? That appears to be her choice. She certainly isn't being prevented from dancing with the stars.

Forum List

Back