Your Government Owes You a Job

Sounds outlandish, doesn't it?

"A right to a job may sound outlandish, but it’s common sense. You need dollars to eat, and unless you steal the dollars, you generally have to earn them.

"If the government wants to protect property with cops, courts, and prisons, issue a single, common currency, and tax and fine us in it, it should at least guarantee we can work for our own dollars.

"Politicians ramble about equality of opportunity and the dignity of work, but to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, we need boots.

"And lest our boots stomp each other’s necks in senseless competition for too few jobs, we need a job guarantee.

"A job guarantee isn’t that radical.

"Thomas Paine proposed one in 1791.

"In 1944, FDR included the right to a living wage job in his Second Bill of Rights and his Republican opponent promised state-ensured employment.

"The Universal Declaration of Human Rights enshrined the right to work and philosophers Rawls and Dewey advocated government provide enough work.

"LBJ deliberated a JG and Martin Luther King Jr., demanded one."

Your Government Owes You a Job | The Nation

Since US Capitalism prefers extracting wealth as opposed to producing wealth leading to a situation where median household income today, adjusted for inflation, is lower than it was in 1989, it becomes clear that US capitalism no longer delivers the goods for a majority of its citizens.

The democratic solution calls for government to provide what the private sector is no longer capable of providing.

There is a word for what yo just described, communism. Why do you think it is going to work better now than it did in the past?

Wait, I know, you finally figured out how to make magic money work, right?

the nation and NYslimes told him so...that's all he needs
"A JG would offer a hand-up from the isolation and stagnation often accompanying joblessness. As economists Sandy Darity and Darrick Hamilton argue, it would also combat racist hiring discrimination, anti-immigrant sentiment and crime.

"Some critics don’t want dignified living to depend on wages, preferring an income guarantee. I’m sympathetic, but people want checks and good jobs. Moreover, unemployment, like disenfranchisement, feeds the fat cats. Paying people to sit on the sidelines, without offering an option to participate, can finance apathy."

"A right to a job may sound outlandish, but it’s common sense. You need dollars to eat, and unless you steal the dollars, you generally have to earn them.

"If the government wants to protect property with cops, courts, and prisons, issue a single, common currency, and tax and fine us in it, it should at least guarantee we can work for our own dollars.

"Politicians ramble about equality of opportunity and the dignity of work, but to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, we need boots.

"And lest our boots stomp each other’s necks in senseless competition for too few jobs, we need a job guarantee.

"In 1944, FDR included the right to a living wage job in his Second Bill of Rights and his Republican opponent promised state-ensured employment.

"The Universal Declaration of Human Rights enshrined the right to work and philosophers Rawls and Dewey advocated government provide enough work.

Since US Capitalism prefers extracting wealth as opposed to producing wealth leading to a situation where median household income today, adjusted for inflation, is lower than it was in 1989, it becomes clear that US capitalism no longer delivers the goods for a majority of its citizens.

The democratic solution calls for government to provide what the private sector is no longer capable of providing.

Actually, I wouldnt trust walking on a sidewalk built by govt. What they do provide is an excellent example of incompetence, irresponsibility, unaccountability, and ineptitude.
I've been walking on WPA sidewalks all my life with no problems.
Maybe you're paranoid:lol:

"Involuntary unemployment is barbaric. In the wealthiest country in history, almost 30 million people wish they had full-time work.

"But, as always, there aren’t enough jobs.

"And because economic security requires decent work, it’s unsurprising that 50 million people are poverty-stricken and 16 million children are hungry."

The private sector is too inept and incompetent to provide enough jobs for those who want one

Do you understand that much?

Government should step in a employer of last resort.

This is a disgrace and an economic error: the US government can easily afford a Job guarantee (JG) program, becoming our employer of last resort."

The government owes us responsibility to the constitution, it does not owe us a job - that is our responsibility.

We need to elect out those who don't serve us, but we are to stupid, and gullible to do so; too many sucking on the gov. teats! :cuckoo: :eusa_pray:
So how does a right to a job affect the general Welfare and Tranquility?
I would agree we need to FLUSH 90% of Republicans AND Democrats from DC next November.

In a perfect world, everyone would have food and shelter, and a true utopian society would be devoid of sexism, racism and other forms of oppression. But for most of the world's population, this perfect society just isn't possible. Communism is one proposed solution to these problems.
Most people know what communism is at its most basic level. Simply put, communism is the idea that everyone in a given society receives equal shares of the benefits derived from labor. Communism is designed to allow the poor to rise up and attain financial and social status equal to that of the middle-class landowners. In order for everyone to achieve equality, wealth is redistributed so that the members of the upper class are brought down to the same financial and social level as the middle class. Communism also requires that all means of production be controlled by the state. In other words, no one can own his or her own business or produce his or her own goods because the state owns everything.
HowStuffWorks "How Communism Works"

Comrade, I hear Russia is lovely this time of year ...
I'm leaning toward Springtime in Ukraine, myself

"This leads us now to Marx's assessment of communism.

"Would communism be a just society?

"In considering Marx's attitude to communism and justice there are really only two viable possibilities: either he thought that communism would be a just society or he thought that the concept of justice would not apply: that communism would transcend justice.

"Communism is described by Marx, in the Critique of the Gotha Programme, as a society in which each person should contribute according to their ability and receive according to their need.

"This certainly sounds like a theory of justice, and could be adopted as such. However it is possibly truer to Marx's thought to say that this is part of an account in which communism transcends justice, as Lukes has argued.

"If we start with the idea that the point of ideas of justice is to resolve disputes, then a society without disputes would have no need or place for justice..."

Karl Marx (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

There is a word for what yo just described, communism. Why do you think it is going to work better now than it did in the past?

Wait, I know, you finally figured out how to make magic money work, right?
Would you be any less skeptical (or sarcastic) if you became convinced a JG program "could be funded entirely from the savings and additional revenues it would generate"?

http://www.philipharvey.info/fundingjob.pdf

Nope.

Actually, I wouldnt trust walking on a sidewalk built by govt. What they do provide is an excellent example of incompetence, irresponsibility, unaccountability, and ineptitude.

"Involuntary unemployment is barbaric. In the wealthiest country in history, almost 30 million people wish they had full-time work.

"And because economic security requires decent work, it’s unsurprising that 50 million people are poverty-stricken and 16 million children are hungry."

The private sector is too inept and incompetent to provide enough jobs for those who want one

This is a disgrace and an economic error: the US government can easily afford a Job guarantee (JG) program, becoming our employer of last resort."

Unless you live in the 1950s there are no sidewalks left that were built by the WPA.

Let's step back a moment and think about this.

If the government owes me a job, can I settle for a cash pay out instead? I will release the government from all obligations for the job deal if they cut me a check.

How much money am I likely to get?

How about the Federal Government not being allowed to approve legislation to replace Americans with Indians because "Americans don't have the skill set to do shit!"?

Why, even the American Free Market Conservatives on USMB don't have the skill set to do shit!

If the government owes me a job, can I settle for a cash pay out instead? I will release the government from all obligations for the job deal if they cut me a check.

I'm not sure; however, there is an unemployment option in Italy I've heard of that would pay you your entire UE benefit in a single lump sum if you can convince at least nine other individuals to take the same pay-out with the intention of launching a new business venture.

Unless you live in the 1950s there are no sidewalks left that were built by the WPA.
Possibly "sidewalk" wasn't what I really meant.
I should have written I've walked upon and over and around traditional infrastructure projects like roads, bridges, schools, courthouses, hospitals, waterworks, and post offices built by the WPA without any problems.

I'm not sure; however, there is an unemployment option in Italy I've heard of that would pay you your entire UE benefit in a single lump sum if you can convince at least nine other individuals to take the same pay-out with the intention of launching a new business venture.

Venture capital financing for people who can't find a job?

Sounds like the Italian government.

I should have written I've walked upon and over and around traditional infrastructure projects like roads, bridges, schools, courthouses, hospitals, waterworks, and post offices built by the WPA without any problems.

Another possibility is that you are an idiot that says things without thinking.

Guess which way I lean.

$500.

Paid entirely in wooden nickels.

Sometimes there are not enough jobs to go around.
Maybe capitalism has outlived its usefulness?

Maybe so. Capitalism isn't in the Constitution. People should be (and are, near as I can tell) free to set up whatever kind of economic systems they like. People can create co-ops and communes and the like. Who knows what else we might dream up? Just don't go forcing it on your neighbors and it's all good.

Hold on a second. If the government owes me a job, and there are not enough jobs to go around, then they have to be borrowing a job from somebody so they can give it to me.

Who is loaning the government jobs?

Last edited:

Another possibility is that you are an idiot that says things without thinking.

Guess which way I lean.

In a previous post I mentioned some of the things the WPA built during the New Deal, but the WPA was only one agency, another was the PWA. The PWA built some bigger stuff: The Tribourough Bridge in New York also the LaGuardia Airport, Grand Coulee Dam, the highway to the Florida Keys are examples. And for the jobless young men, there was the CCC's that planted trees and cleaned up the national forests. And can any housewife remember turning on a washing machine with electricity from TVA?, or the factories that went in with the new electric generators powered by water?

No body owes me anything with the exception of those i lend my property to or that I've done work for.

Forum List

Back