~Your Teenage Years Ages 14-18~

Me... I got my 1st job at 14 stocking shelves at the local auto parts store to save up for my 1st car at 17 :cool:. A '71 Ford Torino Cobra, and WOW what a year I had at 18 in that thing!
Fastest and coolest car in town.
Didnt drink, smoke, or cuss.... boy have things changed :tongue:

Lived one house away from the ball field, so I played Baseball and Football every day the weather permitted and I was 5 blocks from the ocean and across the street from a lake so I swam, body-surfed and water-skied all summer. But my first love was always music and I listened to 45s and played the drums all the rest of my free time.

45s.gif

Rogers_IMG_4134_sm.jpg

It was nice back then when parents could let their kids wander the streets and not worry (as much) about some prick snatching and molesting them. Those were the good ole days. My kids were cheated as they were rarely allowed to leave the front yard unless a well known adult was with them.

Immie
The same shit happened back then but it wasn't reported on the 24 hour news cycle like we have now.

My parents could see the field from the window in our kitchen door, and one thing about the drums, you could hear exactly where I was and what I was doing. :eusa_whistle:

Generally hung with the wrong crowd until the service straightened me out and cured me of all those "bad habits" and "poor social skills" I had. :lol:

Interesting:

I had the exact opposite experience. Hung out with intelligent, well-mannered gentlemen, until the service, then spent all my money on loose women, fast cars, and cheap booze.

The rest you just wasted? :cool:

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Hmm..

From the ages of 9-13: Worked in a grocery store bagging food and taking the bags to cars.
From the ages of 13 - 16: Worked several fish markets cutting and cleaning fish for sale.
From the ages of 16 - 17: Beefsteak Charlies as a busboy.
From the ages of 17 - 18: Mini Market stocking the refridgerators (yay. Free beer!)

While this is not actually me, this is what I spent a majority of my teen and early adult life doing:

2691458992_77fe882050.jpg

My parents were smart enough to figure that if they got me a horse, it would keep me out of many other kinds of trouble. ;)

Lived one house away from the ball field, so I played Baseball and Football every day the weather permitted and I was 5 blocks from the ocean and across the street from a lake so I swam, body-surfed and water-skied all summer. But my first love was always music and I listened to 45s and played the drums all the rest of my free time.

45s.gif

Rogers_IMG_4134_sm.jpg

It was nice back then when parents could let their kids wander the streets and not worry (as much) about some prick snatching and molesting them. Those were the good ole days. My kids were cheated as they were rarely allowed to leave the front yard unless a well known adult was with them.

Immie
The same shit happened back then but it wasn't reported on the 24 hour news cycle like we have now.

My parents could see the field from the window in our kitchen door, and one thing about the drums, you could hear exactly where I was and what I was doing. :eusa_whistle:

It did happen, but it was not as prevalent. It was safer to roam the streets then at various times we lived anywhere from a block to probably five blocks away from school, but we were pretty safe riding our bikes over to school to play football or baseball. We could leave at 9 am (my parents would not let us out before then because they didn't want us bothering the neighbors) and not return until dinner time and never be bothered by anyone.

I have never felt comfortable letting my kids roam the streets... okay, maybe the fact that I have two daughters and a son and my parents had four boys played some part in that, but I was never comfortable letting my son roam the streets either.

Immie

We drove down to the Airport and watched the planes take off, and when they were put in, we took the trolley's out to the outbuildings. We went to drive in movies....my sister got caught when she tried to smuggle in a couple of people in the trunk. Spent a lot of time in the summer at my aunt's beach house. Riding horses, swimming in the sound. Today's kids have no idea....

I was never a teen, LOL. Didn't look or act like one either.

The old mantra of sex, drugs and rock and roll works for me. I just left out the drugs and rock and roll. :lol:

When I was a teen-ager, back when Brooklyn was a really nice place, there were no computers and television was a great big heavy wood box with a round, 9" black & white screen and rabbit ears antenna. My older brother and I spent most of our spare time at Brooklyn Central "Y" (MCA) where I was into wrestling and swimming. My older brother was a competitive bodybuilder along with his best friend, Vinny Zoino, who later changed his name to Vince Edwards, moved to California, made a few movies and became famous as Dr. Ben Casey on the 1960s tv series.

Back then there were dances in Prospect Park on Wednesday and Friday nights, The girls all wore "poodle" skirts and pony-tails and Rock & Roll was just starting to replace Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey. Back then a guy could take his girl to a movie and for Chinese food or pizza afterward for less then four dollars -- including popcorn, cokes and trolley or subway fare (which was a nickel). And if all of that sounds like a different world, it was.

Thanks for asking this question. It brings back a lot of nice memories.

Last edited:
14 – 18 was 1955 – 58 for me.
Elvis Presley made his last 78 RPM recording in 1958, and 45 RPM records had nudged them out. What was called HI-Fidelity sound in phonographs had become something teenagers could afford about by my 14th year. I didn’t have the money to spare but a couple of friends did. I didn’t get a Hi-Fi until stereo systems were available, and I got one of those at about 17.

There was no FM radio, only AM, but the quality of the sound didn’t matter to us. We’d drive the country roads all night long on the week-ends (we called them night excursions) Even though we were in southern Indiana we’d listen to WLAC in Nashville, Tennessee, or sometimes KOMA in Oklahoma City, Ok. That was back in the day of the “blow-torch” 50,000 watt stations that stayed fired up all night long. WLAC played Rhythm & Blues, and KOMA straight R&R. Some favorite artists at the time on WLAC were Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Little Richard, the Staple Singers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly and the Crickets, and the Everley Brothers.

There was a station in a place that sounded like Sedata Acuna Coahuila Mexico that played to an American audience. American stations were limited to 50,00 watts but these “border blasters” of the 1950s operated with 250,000 watts of power. One legendary broadcaster WHO made his mark on an across-the-border station during that time called himself Wolf Man Jack. He was the original ‘border’ jock on XERF, the big gun, on the Mexican border.

I can recall when we got the first FM radio station in our region, a station with call letters WIFE in Indianapolis. It began broadcasting in the winter of 1965 and had no advertisers; no commercials at all, because they hadn’t found any advertisers yet. The began by trying out easy listening popular music, and changed to different formats afterwards, like call-in talk radio with naughty-gossipy themes to attract an audience of both males and females listeners.

By the time 1958 had arrived, the transistor radio had made it’s entre. I remember buying a fairly large (maybe 8” long x 6” tall x 2” thick with a leather case) portable am radio at a “Radio” store in about 1957; but by 1960 when (August 1960) I enlisted in the Marines, I remember we carried little transistor radios in our jacket pockets, not much larger than a pack of cigarettes, and the sound was very poor compared to my earlier larger tube-type radio.

We’d spend a lot of Friday or Saturday nights in drive-in theaters, mostly chatting away the hours instead of watching the films.

There were no game rooms back then like there was in the 80s and on, so we hung around pool rooms which usually also had pin-ball machines. they also had other mechanical games of skill. I was expert at playing a car game in which I manipulated a little car successfully through a series of obstacles. Bowling was a sometime passtime.

I would not own a cell-phone until 1987, and it was a “bag phone;” a handset that looked like a regular phone receiver, the part that hangs on the hook on a wall, in a bag with a power cord to the cigarette lighter plug. There wasn’t much coverage, so it didn’t get used very much. I went ahead and had regular land-line phones installed on my construction sites, because I needed something more dependable.

We weren’t always out driving around in our cars, only a few of us had one. A couple of my friends had parents without partners (one a widow, and the other a widower) and we were welcome to spend evening there, playing chess, listening to music and just sitting around BS’n about anything of current interest. The events in Cuba (revolution) were a subject of interest just before we enlisted in the Marines; 6 of us went together in the buddy system.

Last edited:
I spent as much time as I possibly could in the woods, read an assload of books, and constantly built things. Go-carts, mini-bikes, log splitters, etc etc.I grew up in the country around some incredible craftsman ( and women)
Friends would come by and ask my mom where I was and she'd just point to the mountain.........whether it was 6 am or 10 pm.
Man. If I woulda had youtube in the sixties I'd now be living on Jupiter.

What did you do for fun back in the "day" when you were a teen, ages 14,15, 16, 17 and 18.

Were you a teen before CD's? Computers? Video Games? Cell Phones?

What kind of things did you do back in your teen years?
Pre-driving: Hanging out at club pool, riding, sailing, waterskiing, homework.

Post-driving: Hanging out at club pool, riding, sailing, some waterskiing, snow skiing, homework, hanging out at JCCA for friends' hockey games, parties, baseball games, football games, basketball games, picnics, poms, more parties

I loved high school.

Quantum mechanics occupied the majority of my wonder years. That, and I was a dab hand at making girls shudder.

I was also kinda heavily into strangling small animals when I was about thirteen, but we don't talk about that anymore.

Quantum mechanics occupied the majority of my wonder years. That, and I was a dab hand at making girls shudder.

I was also kinda heavily into strangling small animals when I was about thirteen, but we don't talk about that anymore.
I hear you also liked to start a few fires here and there. Or, it could be it was just a nasty little rumor. ;)

Forum List

Back