Zip ties, cold air, strip searches: Ont. jail officials probe alleged assault on inmates by guards

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
When a nation operates a near caste system where your rights don't exist, this is a regular occurrence.

From the cradle to the grave the state does as it pleases. It is a major reason why we are losing business from nations who support civil liberties and not covert, unaccountable apparatuses.

Ontario correctional officials are investigating a reported assault — by specially trained officers in riot gear — on dozens of inmates at a provincial jail last December, the ministry of the solicitor general has confirmed to CBC News.

Video of the incident at Maplehurst Correctional Complex in Milton, west of Toronto, was to be played in court for the first time on Wednesday, but the hearing was postponed at the last minute.

A judge who viewed the video in private said inmates were "herded" with their hands zip-tied. One of the men caught up in the alleged assault described being strip-searched and left to wear just boxers in the "freezing cold" institution for 20 hours.

On Dec. 22, officers "busted in the door of my cell with a loud bang," the inmate, Jason Mercuri, said in a sworn affidavit reviewed by CBC. "I had no idea what was happening and hit the ground fearing for my life."

The incident followed an alleged attack on a correctional officer by an inmate two days prior.

The Toronto Star, which first reported the incident, cited other prisoners as saying they had been beaten and pepper-sprayed.

Forum List

Back