1,500 Teachers Paid to Do Union Business While Missing Class

Willow, I cannot speak for the activities of these teachers specifically, or what the United Federation of Teachers is having them do, but I can say that as a Union Steward and as someone who sat on the Negotiating Team for our last Contract, there are times when Union business does need to be carried out during the regular workday. I missed probably an average of part to all of one day every two weeks for Union Business between January of 2009 and March 31, 2010 related to the negotiations for our contract.

Without the ability to do certain (not all, but certain) business during regular work hours, Unions cease to exist as a viable entity. Whether it's negotiations, grievance hearings, etc... some of these things just cannot be done after hours.
I agree with you, like it or not union business for the most part has to be done on company time. If you forced people to conduct union business on their own time there would be no one willing to be in the union.

I agree with you, like it or not union business for the most part has to be done on company time. If you forced people to conduct union business on their own time there would be no one willing to be in the union.

That's not the issue. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Any company that refused to allow the Union to meet on company time would find that their Union employees walked out the door. No contract would ever get completed. No grievance would ever get dealt with. The entire system would simply stop working.

How Much Does Part B Cost?
If you have Part B, you pay a Part B premium each month. Most people will pay the standard premium amount. Social Security will contact some people who have to pay more depending on their income. If you don't sign up for Part B when you are first eligible, you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty

Paid into the system for 30 years.

Have paid premium fees monthly

Have paid for a supplemnt monthly

Have paid a huge deductible when I went for my yearly physical..

and Jillian wants to bitch about me and my use of medicare part B.

:cuckoo:

and those teachers took lesser salaries in order to obtain their benefits.... by virtue of collective bargaining which you're ok with stripping them of.

sure nuff... balance that budget, but not on your back, eh?

That's not the issue. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Any company that refused to allow the Union to meet on company time would find that their Union employees walked out the door. No contract would ever get completed. No grievance would ever get dealt with. The entire system would simply stop working.

I'm not sure how your situation compares to what the OP article is claiming. According to the article these "teachers" work one class period a day. The rest of the time is spent on union business. To me, that sounds like they're more union employees than school employees. A vast majority of their time - every single day - is spent on union business. If they are predominantly union employees, the union should be paying a vast majority of their compensation. Geting over $100k from the DOE for working one class period a day every day is not equitable.

wow my dear Jilly. SO uncalled for.
tsk tsk

shall we call you a waaaaaambulance?

Yea... but.... having read the OP, do you think it is wrong for the unions to be doing this or is it ok?

what i think is that if a bunch of radicals tried to cut off my collective bargaining rights and take away the benefits for which i'd negotiated, on which i relied and for which i (most likely) traded pay raises, i'd do everything legally possible to thwart the loons.

that's what i think. if the teachers' union donated to the gov's campaign, he'd be leaving them alone like he is the fire and police departments. that's what i think.

and i think someone cavalierly thinking it's ok to hurt working teachers, while collecting her own benefits, is a hypocrite.

If you have Part B, you pay a Part B premium each month. Most people will pay the standard premium amount. Social Security will contact some people who have to pay more depending on their income. If you don't sign up for Part B when you are first eligible, you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty

and those teachers took lesser salaries in order to obtain their benefits.... by virtue of collective bargaining which you're ok with stripping them of.

why don't you get honest? their collective bargaining is not wiped out. they are allowed to bargain for salary.. honest? do you know the meaning of honest? can't tell by what you post.

Willow, I cannot speak for the activities of these teachers specifically, or what the United Federation of Teachers is having them do, but I can say that as a Union Steward and as someone who sat on the Negotiating Team for our last Contract, there are times when Union business does need to be carried out during the regular workday. I missed probably an average of part to all of one day every two weeks for Union Business between January of 2009 and March 31, 2010 related to the negotiations for our contract.

Without the ability to do certain (not all, but certain) business during regular work hours, Unions cease to exist as a viable entity. Whether it's negotiations, grievance hearings, etc... some of these things just cannot be done after hours.

Playing devil's advocate here only a little bit, why not? Why can't union business be done during non business hours? Shouldn't teachers participating in union negotiations be doing that on their own time and not during the taxpayer's time? I have done a ton of voluneer work and also participated on employee committees and it was always on my own time, not my employers' time.

obie wan already stripped us of 960 Billion dollars,, how much more do you want?

I'm not sure how your situation compares to what the OP article is claiming. According to the article these "teachers" work one class period a day. The rest of the time is spent on union business. To me, that sounds like they're more union employees than school employees. A vast majority of their time - every single day - is spent on union business. If they are predominantly union employees, the union should be paying a vast majority of their compensation. Geting over $100k from the DOE for working one class period a day every day is not equitable.

gosh,, you don't share you brain with anybody do you?:eusa_angel:

Playing devil's advocate here only a little bit, why not? Why can't union business be done during non business hours? Shouldn't teachers participating in union negotiations be doing that on their own time and not during the taxpayer's time? I have done a ton of voluneer work and also participated on employee committees and it was always on my own time, not my employers' time.

according to the lawyer on board it's just too damn much to ask a teacher to actually teach,, they got bigger fish to fry.. she share's a brain with RDD..

Well then, if it is not important enough to do on their own time, it might be a real blessing for those so unmotivated to not do union business, yes? And if it turned out that NONE of the employees were interested enough to do it without getting paid to do it, then maybe the union isn't accomplishing all that much for the employees anyway.

We condemn corporate leaders for private jets and expensive vacations, and they steal from the shareholders. This kind of practice in NY steals from the taxpayers. They are both wrong.

There is a difference between a company and being paid by the taxpayers.

It's a different situation. I am required to get my regular work done every day, unless there is an unusual situation that requires my extended attention.

I would be interested to know why it is that these teachers need someone dealing with Union issues that frequently. Is it that problematic of an environment that there are constant grievances and situations which require Union representation on a daily basis? If so that sounds like something the Executive Board should be looking into with the District.

Forum List

Back