🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

1 Week After Trump Puts Tariff on Chinese Solar Panels, China Announces They'll Make Them in the US

'WINNING!"

Standing Up For America, 'Taking A Chance', Beats 'Cowardly 'Status Quo'!

Well that's one company Trump single handly brought back from overseas ...

Trump : 1

Obama: 0

It's a booming industry and it's contradictory that the right would think it's ok for the government to meddle in it to control it.

I bet there are some downsides to this that are conveniently left out. The panels will probably still cost more than before. The company will also be operating under a whole new set of unfamiliar regulations. The company has a greater than zero chance of not surviving the transition. There were probably better options.

Hopefully we've kept enough regulatory oversight in place to ensure they don't bring neglectful chinese manufacturing processes with them. People cheer for cutting regulation but most of it was there to protect the people from criminal negligence, exploitation, and destabilizing practices. We should expect negative consequences of the blanket deregulation to some degree.

Here's a question for you. Would it be worth growing GDP by an additional .5% - likely localized to the top - but also hurting public health by 100 billion (or some equivalent) - likely localized to the bottom/middle?

Well that's one company Trump single handly brought back from overseas ...

Trump : 1

Obama: 0

There is no company moving back, a Chinese company will set up a factory that is 90% automated and will still sell the cells cheaper than the US companies can.

So this does nothing to help the US companies, which was the stated goal of the tariff.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Trump’s move helps US solar-panel manufacturers, such as FirstSolar, Tesla, Suniva, and SolarWorld. But manufacturing only makes up about 14% of jobs in the US solar industry, and it is increasingly becoming more automated.
If Trump is serious about supporting the solar industry in the US, tariffs are the wrong tool. “Deployed recklessly, [tariffs] can provoke trade wars that might stymie US chances of taking the helm of an innovative industry with a global supply chain along which goods, services, and capital can flow efficiently across borders,” says solar expert Varun Sivaram of the Council on Foreign Relations in his forthcoming book Taming the Sun. Instead Sivaram says the US should leapfrog through innovation. Chinese solar-panel makers invest less than 1% of annual revenues in research and development, which is tiny compared to any advanced industry, say semiconductors or pharmaceuticals.

The trouble is Trump is not thinking on these lines, either. After a year in office, the White House still hasn’t hired a science adviser.

Trump’s move helps US solar-panel manufacturers, such as FirstSolar, Tesla, Suniva, and SolarWorld. But manufacturing only makes up about 14% of jobs in the US solar industry, and it is increasingly becoming more automated.

And this Chinese company gets around the tariffs and thus it does not help the US companies at all.

It's a booming industry and it's contradictory that the right would think it's ok for the government to meddle in it to control it.

I bet there are some downsides to this that are conveniently left out. The panels will probably still cost more than before. The company will also be operating under a whole new set of unfamiliar regulations. The company has a greater than zero chance of not surviving the transition. There were probably better options.

Hopefully we've kept enough regulatory oversight in place to ensure they don't bring neglectful chinese manufacturing processes with them. People cheer for cutting regulation but most of it was there to protect the people from criminal negligence, exploitation, and destabilizing practices. We should expect negative consequences of the blanket deregulation to some degree.

Here's a question for you. Would it be worth growing GDP by an additional .5% - likely localized to the top - but also hurting public health by 100 billion (or some equivalent) - likely localized to the bottom/middle?
Somehow I knew the left would hate to see companies moving into America.

Constructive criticism isn't hate. It's part of successful strategic thinking. Im open to discussion on it. Voluntarily ignoring the negatives or opposing perspectives is far worse.

This company is not moving to America, they are putting in a single factory that is 90% automated to get around the tariffs

"I bet there are some downsides to this that are conveniently left out. The panels will probably still cost more than before. The company will also be operating under a whole new set of unfamiliar regulations. The company has a greater than zero chance of not surviving the transition. There were probably better options."

Well, it'll be interesting to see if a Chinese company can produce the same product more cheaply that a US company can within our own borders. The panels may cost more than they once did, but also probably less than they otherwise would without the extra competition. Will the Chinese gov't find a way to subsidize those panels made in the US so that their company has an advantage? Kinda makes your head spin, but hey I'll take the lower price and the jobs and the additional tax revenue.

This company is not moving to America, they are putting in a single factory that is 90% automated to get around the tariffs

They are manufacturing in America. People run fix, maintain machines as well as deliver and ship materials to and from the factory.

You Leftards hate America, that is obvious.

Constructive criticism isn't hate. It's part of successful strategic thinking. Im open to discussion on it. Voluntarily ignoring the negatives or opposing perspectives is far worse.
Sucks having jobs moving from China to America for you anti American Leftards.

Forum List

Back