10 Commandments for Atheists

Penn Jillette's 10 Commandments for atheists

1. The highest ideals are human intelligence, creativity and love. Respect these above all.
2. Do not put things or even ideas above other human beings. (Let's scream at each other about Kindle versus iPad, solar versus nuclear, Republican versus Libertarian, Garth Brooks versus Sun Ra— but when your house is on fire, I'll be there to help.)
3. Say what you mean, even when talking to yourself. (What used to be an oath to (G)od is now quite simply respecting yourself.)
4. Put aside some time to rest and think. (If you're religious, that might be the Sabbath; if you're a Vegas magician, that'll be the day with the lowest grosses.)
5. Be there for your family. Love your parents, your partner, and your children. (Love is deeper than honor, and parents matter, but so do spouse and children.)
6. Respect and protect all human life. (Many believe that "Thou shalt not kill" only refers to people in the same tribe. I say it's all human life.)
7. Keep your promises. (If you can't be sexually exclusive to your spouse, don't make that deal.)
8. Don't steal. (This includes magic tricks and jokes — you know who you are!)
9. Don't lie. (You know, unless you're doing magic tricks and it's part of your job. Does that make it OK for politicians, too?)
10. Don't waste too much time wishing, hoping, and being envious; it'll make you bugnutty.
That's humanism in a nutshell and humanism has nothing to do with gods and even the religious wackos can't disagree with it.

1. The highest ideals are human intelligence, creativity and love. Respect these above all.
2. Do not put things or even ideas above other human beings. (Let's scream at each other about Kindle versus iPad, solar versus nuclear, Republican versus Libertarian, Garth Brooks versus Sun Ra— but when your house is on fire, I'll be there to help.)
3. Say what you mean, even when talking to yourself. (What used to be an oath to (G)od is now quite simply respecting yourself.)
4. Put aside some time to rest and think. (If you're religious, that might be the Sabbath; if you're a Vegas magician, that'll be the day with the lowest grosses.)
5. Be there for your family. Love your parents, your partner, and your children. (Love is deeper than honoou and parents matter, but so do spouse and children.)
6. Respect and protect all human life. (Many believe that "Thou shalt not kill" only refers to people in the same tribe. I say it's all human life.)
7. Keep your promises. (If you can't be sexually exclusive to your spouse, don't make that deal.)
9. Don't lie. (You know, unless you're doing magic tricks and it's part of your job. Does that make it OK for politicians, too?)
10. Don't waste too much time wishing, hoping, and being envious; it'll make you bugnutty.
I always knew you were just another religous nut

Communism is naturalized humanism. ~ Karl Marx
He also said

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

So you must agree with that too right?

Specious garbage spiced with attempted virtue signalling .
Cult thinkers desperately trying to convince themselves that they have not wasted their lives.
I am Catholic. Out of curiosity, what part of my life has been wasted?

Also out of curiosity: Why the need to call a person of faith a "cult thinker"?

I am Catholic. Out of curiosity, what part of my life has been wasted?

Also out of curiosity: Why the need to call a person of faith a "cult thinker"?

Christianity was considered a cult as was Islam. Quakers and Baptists were considered to be cults as well.

Many people today think that Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are cults

All religion has a cultish quality to it and one of the biggest factors in the long term success of any religion is convincing enough people that the religion isn;t a cult.

Not that I'm aware of but way to try to distract from the company you keep in the dehumanization of human life.
That doesn't make them my company. Only a low IQ moron or desperate attention seeker would think that fallacy is valid.

Ah, I see the next attention seeking post . I guess that answers that.

Christianity was considered a cult as was Islam. Quakers and Baptists were considered to be cults as well.
Correct. The etymology of the word 'cult' begin with the Latin, 'cultus' meaning
care, cultivation, worship. The word 'cult' with the same meaning entered the English language in the early 1600s.

It wasn't until the 1930s and 1940s that a new definition of 'cult' began to emerge.

All religion has a cultish quality to it and one of the biggest factors in the long term success of any religion is convincing enough people that the religion isn;t a cult.
Yes, all religion has the qualities of care, cultivation, worship. Language changes, and aren't you delighted that you can now use the word 'cult' to denigrate and insult religion. The word for it is semantic change, some which is done for prejudicial purposes.

What say you? Do you like to use the second definition of the word 'cult' that evolved in the 1930s and 1940s to denote your own prejudice and denigration of religion?

heavenly humanism can not tolerate monotheism any differently than a monotheist can not tolerate self determination.

as for why the desert adherents make up commandments for others to follow than just themselves.

5. Be there for your family. Love your parents, your partner, and your children. (Love is deeper than honor, and parents matter, but so do spouse and children.)
Penn Jillete is a really sensible person. Which almost always pisses people off.

“Do not murder” and “Do not steal” are completely unique to Christian teachings!

No other civilization in the history of earth has ever made such bold and revelatory declarations!

“Do not murder” and “Do not steal” are completely unique to Christian teachings!

No other civilization in the history of earth has ever made such bold and revelatory declarations!

- is that for christians they were a revelation ...

could this be your first visit to planet earth - the "do not's" have been said many times by all entities - no civilization in history have ever taken them seriously and certainly not the desert religions.

- is that for christians they were a revelation ...

could this be your first visit to planet earth - the "do not's" have been said many times by all entities - no civilization in history have ever taken them seriously and certainly not the desert religions.
I was obviously being sarcastic

Forum List

Back