111 In Phoenix Today...

The old saying "it's not the heat it's the humidity" is totally true.
Visited a buddy in Vegas and it was 110 but it felt fine compared to 100 with 98% humidity we get in Houston.

It's how fast your sweat evaporates that makes the difference....the more water in the air, the longer you stay sweaty. I only been in trouble once out here....I climbed a nearby little mountain called "Squaw Peak" without a canteen after doing my run. I thought I'd rehydrated myself but I guess I hadn't. Somebody gave me a slug of water and I got my mojo back pretty quick but I leaned my lesson....can't get cocky with heat or intense cold....it'll kick your ass if you do.

Visited a buddy in Vegas and it was 110 but it felt fine compared to 100 with 98% humidity we get in Houston.

It's how fast your sweat evaporates that makes the difference....the more water in the air, the longer you stay sweaty. I only been in trouble once out here....I climbed a nearby little mountain called "Squaw Peak" without a canteen after doing my run. I thought I'd rehydrated myself but I guess I hadn't. Somebody gave me a slug of water and I got my mojo back pretty quick but I leaned my lesson....can't get cocky with heat or intense cold....it'll kick your ass if you do.

Yep...high humidity defeats the cooling effect of evaporation.
It sure makes swamp coolers ineffective in the South. I run mine for the breeze and thats about it.

It sure makes swamp coolers ineffective in the South. I run mine for the breeze and thats about it.

Yep, that's why I go by dew point....got a "piggyback" system that uses the swampy until it gets too humid....at a dew point of 55 water no longer cools the air and I turn on the regular AC....and helplessly watch the meter spin my bucks into SRP's coffers. They say one of the reasons the mehicans eat spicy food is to sweat and cool themselves in a breeze.

Yep, that's why I go by dew point....got a "piggyback" system that uses the swampy until it gets too humid....at a dew point of 55 water no longer cools the air and I turn on the regular AC....and helplessly watch the meter spin my bucks into SRP's coffers. They say one of the reasons the mehicans eat spicy food is to sweat and cool themselves in a breeze.

Tell me about it. My electric bill can reach 1500.00 bucks in July and August.

WHOA! Mine is only about $300...mainly because we keep democrats on our corporation commission. They won't let the utilities sock it to us.....SRP and APS hate them but can't name their own commission or we'd be in for it. We let APS build the Palo Verde nuclear plant (on the CEO's piece of scrub cha-ching!) and they ended up selling the power to the Kalis instead of us. We're down-wind of that turkey if it ever goes china syndrome.

WHOA! Mine is only about $300...mainly because we keep democrats on our corporation commission. They won't let the utilities sock it to us.....SRP and APS hate them but can't name their own commission or we'd be in for it. We let APS build the Palo Verde nuclear plant (on the CEO's piece of scrub cha-ching!) and they ended up selling the power to the Kalis instead of us. We're down-wind of that turkey if it ever goes china syndrome.

My main culprit is three A/C units and a two story.
I'll never buy a two story again thats for damn sure.

what-size-central-air-conditioner-do-i-need-for-my-house-calculator.jpg

Bills that high in the summer for A/C alone would mean the house size would have to be extremely large.........anywhere from 7500 square feet to 9000 square feet...............using approximately 9000 kwh's a month unless you open your windows up or something.......

Bills that high in the summer for A/C alone would mean the house size would have to be extremely large.........anywhere from 7500 square feet to 9000 square feet...............using approximately 9000 kwh's a month unless you open your windows up or something.......

It's right at 5000 square feet. Add the pool pump that runs 8 hours a day and the fact i'm home all day since i'm retired it adds up quick.
And the wife runs the unit that controls temp in the workout room the bedroom sitting room,bathroom and bedroom at meat locker temps.

It's right at 5000 square feet. Add the pool pump that runs 8 hours a day and the fact i'm home all day since i'm retired it adds up quick.
And the wife runs the unit that controls temp in the workout room the bedroom sitting room,bathroom and bedroom at meat locker temps.
How Many Watts Does a 2.5 HP Pool Pump Use Home Guides SF Gate
Math Conversions
One horsepower is equal to 745.7 watts. When you multiply 745.7 watts by 2.5 hp, you get 1,864.25 watts. Energy costs are calculated in kilowatt-hours, and to get kilowatt-hours, you multiply watts by hours and divide by 1,000. So, if you run your pool pump for 8 hours in one day, 1,864.25 multiplied by 8 and divided by 1,000 equals 14.9 kilowatt-hours. If you run your pump every day for an average of 30 days per month -- 30 multiplied by 14.9 -- your pump uses 447 kilowatt-hours in a month.

I doubt your pool pump is larger than a 2.5 H.P. pump. Most are only 1.5 HP............which would lower that usage by 40%.
2 5 Ton units would handle the load even in meat locker temps for that sized house.............using too many tons lowers the efficiency and drives costs up....................

Why an Oversized Air Conditioner Is a Bad Idea

Another point................are your ac's short cycling...................

Either way..................you need an energy audit..................that's way too much power and you could be losing power through nuetral to ground bleed and or harmonics...............short cycling increases the energy usage of ac units as well.

How Many Watts Does a 2.5 HP Pool Pump Use Home Guides SF Gate
Math Conversions
One horsepower is equal to 745.7 watts. When you multiply 745.7 watts by 2.5 hp, you get 1,864.25 watts. Energy costs are calculated in kilowatt-hours, and to get kilowatt-hours, you multiply watts by hours and divide by 1,000. So, if you run your pool pump for 8 hours in one day, 1,864.25 multiplied by 8 and divided by 1,000 equals 14.9 kilowatt-hours. If you run your pump every day for an average of 30 days per month -- 30 multiplied by 14.9 -- your pump uses 447 kilowatt-hours in a month.

I doubt your pool pump is larger than a 2.5 H.P. pump. Most are only 1.5 HP............which would lower that usage by 40%.
2 5 Ton units would handle the load even in meat locker temps for that sized house.............using too many tons lowers the efficiency and drives costs up....................

Why an Oversized Air Conditioner Is a Bad Idea

Another point................are your ac's short cycling...................

Either way..................you need an energy audit..................that's way too much power and you could be losing power through nuetral to ground bleed and or harmonics...............short cycling increases the energy usage of ac units as well.

I'll definitely look into that.

running in 100 degree heat aint too bright bull.....no matter your age....

I do it all the time. When it starts getting over 100 I'll just reduce the length of the run. This weekend is supposed to be over 110 so I probably won't run at all or I'll wait until night maybe. I have my limits.
but you are admitting you wait until it cools down......bull thinks he is proving how much of a man he is by running in the heat...its called stupidity...

running in 100 degree heat aint too bright bull.....no matter your age....

I've been doing it for 35 years. I walk a quarter mile to warm up, run two, and walk the quarter mile back, so the actual run only lasts about 16 minutes. I stopped 3 years ago because of a foot injury....in a couple months I gained 20 pounds and when I first went back out couldn't run more than a quarter mile without getting winded. Started my routine again, the weight fell back off and I quickly regained my stamina. If I ended up stranded out on a highway, I'd be less apt to succumb than a person not used to exercise in the heat.....at least that's what I keep telling myself.
still not smart....if you ran early morning or at dusk im sure no one will think you are any less a man....

once it gets over a 100 a few more degrees aint that much more noticeable.....but yea humidity has a lot to do with the comfort factor....

Forum List

Back