12 Years A Slave: Why Did I Win Best Picture?

Funny, Democrats were the slave owners bud.

Open a book for once.

Sure enough were.

There were no Republicans at the time.

The Republican party was the LIBERAL wing of the Whig party..who did own slaves.

You might want to take your own advice.

Are you saying that Democrats didn't oppose abolition?

You're saying Lincoln wasn't a Republican? Why did they create a Republican Party?

Everyone(who can read or took a U.S. History class) knows that Lincoln was a Republican.

What it appears that some refuse to acknowledge is that there were anti slavery Democrats who defected from the Democratic to join The Whigs to form a new Republican Party.

It is also common knowledge (for those who read), that the racist faction of the Democratic Party resided in the Southern states until as recently as the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Thank you.

Problem is I've already seen "Roots".

Why, now?

I guess one movie about slavery every 40 years is enough

Exactly. There are countless movies on the Civil War. Is it possible to talk about that subject without discussing slavery? Of course it is. Just like it is possible to tell the story of one person who was a victim of the institution f slavery, but had the courage to endure and even escape to return to his former life as a free man.

Unless a person truly has guilt feelings, or is just incapable of grasping the fact that some slaves were people who had individual and unique life stories, I do not see how it is possible to view this story as being one which exploits racism.

It's like the way the left always talks about particular events. Some are focused on and others ignored.

Today there is more important events going on other than slavery. But slavery is what blacks want to talk about, not unwed mothers or black on black violence.

Slavery is supposedly the issue to discuss, not everything else that is going on today. Why? Because it gives them something to focus on rather than the causes of their own state of affairs.

Last edited:

Exactly. There are countless movies on the Civil War. Is it possible to talk about that subject without discussing slavery? Of course it is. Just like it is possible to tell the story of one person who was a victim of the institution f slavery, but had the courage to endure and even escape to return to his former life as a free man.

Unless a person truly has guilt feelings, or is just incapable of grasping the fact that some slaves were people who had individual and unique life stories, I do not see how it is possible to view this story as being one which exploits racism.

It's like the way the left always talks about particular events. Some are focused on and others ignored.

Today there is more important events going on other than slavery. But slavery is what blacks want to talk about, not unwed mothers or black on black violence.

Slavery is supposedly the issue to discuss, not everything else that is going on today. Why? Because it gives them something to focus on rather than the causes of their own state of affairs.

If you actually believe that, you are extremely misinformed. Do you have access to Sirius/XM radio?

Everyone(who can read or took a U.S. History class) knows that Lincoln was a Republican.
Not neccessarily true anymore. I saw a history class text book that listed Lincoln's religion as "Liberal". The kids these days have a level of brainwashing that didn't exist in the near past.

So, we have three movies about slavery in 40 years and you start to get squeamish.

Why cant they make slavery movies like they used to......Mandingo

Thank you.

Why, now?

Dude, spare me.

It's never ending. Not just slavery but racism.

amistad.jpg
malcolm_x_ver2.jpg
the_help_poster_1.jpg

Slavery and racism are topics with great potential for dramatic stories.

I could put up a bunch of movie posters for Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Does the fact that he made a bunch of action movies about a guy going out and single-handedly killing masses of armed thugs mean that Hollywood has a never ending thing for mindless action movies and should stop?

12 Years A Slave was a good movie. I didn't think it was great, but good. It wasn't my favorite even among the few nominated movies I watched, but I can certainly see why it won.

I haven't seen it and I don't plan on seeing it, but it won an Oscar for best picture.

Is racism Hollywood's topic dejour now? Is that why it won?

Maybe you should see it before making judgements.

And finally dealing with slavery in a truthful manner instead of the "Gone With the Wind" and "Song of the South" fairy tales..is a good thing.

That's why it won. Not because it was a good movie, but because "it's time".

This one movie based on a true story of the mid-1800s seems to have really irked you, a man of the 21st century. I simply cannot see why.

Not neccessarily true anymore. I saw a history class text book that listed Lincoln's religion as "Liberal". The kids these days have a level of brainwashing that didn't exist in the near past.[/

His religion or his political party? I would also be interested in knowing what the name of that textbook is.

Last edited:
PS thanks for giving me a good idea RW!

I heard that Morgan Freeman spoke out against Black History.
So maybe I should try to contact his agents about a Freedmens Town movie,
especially since he closely resembles one of the historic community leaders
he'd have to research anyway to get all the political lowdown on this epic saga.

Not what typical liberals in Hollywood might want to hear, but maybe people who WANT to see the bigger picture.

It is obviously a left wing Holywood depiction of slavery

We need a conservative movie which shows slaves singing and dancing, slaves joining the Confederate Army to fight to maintain slavery and of course more black slave owners

Dear RW:

How about a real historical depiction of Freed Slaves after emancipation
who built and managed their own settlement of churches, businesses, and houses
in Freedmen's Town -- 100 years before they were even considered citizens.

Would it bother you to show a wealth successful business district of
Blacks who received no help from govt, but built it by their own labor as noncitizens
but just as a CHURCH community getting help from other churches and ministers.

Is that bad to mention their Christian faith gave them strength to overcome political adversity?
And not only survive but thrive, as much more successful than the community today
where this independence was killed off.

This success was before LIBERALS sold this idea of poor people depending on govt:
* abusing eminent domain to seize private property from minority owners to build
public housing through the federal govt against objections by the owners they overruled;
* building over sites of historic burials and excluding Blacks from the complex
(until the Civil Rights Act 30 years later and lawsuits to force desegregation)
* and continuing to give millions in taxdollars to private developers to seize and destroy
historic property, after evicting and bleeding out local residents to deprive
them of equal access to obtain and restore historic housing and landmarks

This was done under Democrat administrations, including successive
Democrat Mayors and Democrat Congress reps over this district.

Would you like to see such a movie comparing the financial success of
FREED SLAVES not even recognizes much less helped by govt,
vs poor minorities depending on govt that is abused by LIBERALS to wipe them out?

Or does this NOT fit the stereotypes you want to see reinforced either?
Do we need to rewrite history to get rid of these conflicts?
Is that why liberal Democrats want to erase all evidence of wrongdoing,
because it might prove arguments about politically "enslaving" their poor voter base
to keep them dependent on govt? even taking land away from private owners
(by federal public housing and also by local public schools
evicting and seizing property from private owners by eminent domain)

Do you want to deny this reality and wait for this drama to come to a theatre near you?
Oh wait, with Obamacare, maybe it already has reached a wider audience. Never mind.

Last edited:
His religion or his political party? I would also be interested in knowing whatbth name of that textbook is.
According to the report, his religion.

video.foxnews.com/v/3165052555001/common-core-lessonhttp://video.foxnews.com/v/3165052555001/common-core-lesson-lists-abraham-lincoln-as-a-liberal/#sp=show-clips-lists-abraham-lincoln-as-a-liberal/#sp=show-clips

tumblr_n1ugh8VpZr1rm001ko8_r1_500.jpg

I haven't seen it and I don't plan on seeing it, but it won an Oscar for best picture.

I know it's unlikely, but I HOPE its a bellwether of a political tsunami just around the corner, to repudiate Obama.

They want a big ol' unmistakable sign of their love of all things Black so that when they turn on Dear Leader, anyone accusing them of racism will be reminded of the academy's vote for 12 Years.

Like I said, I hope that's what it's about.

Maybe you should see it before making judgements.

And finally dealing with slavery in a truthful manner instead of the "Gone With the Wind" and "Song of the South" fairy tales..is a good thing.

That's why it won. Not because it was a good movie, but because "it's time".

Are we all too foreign or too young or too senile to remember, "Roots"?

It was THE first TV miniseries and caused quite a sensation across America at the time. Respected Black author, Alex Haley was in the news for his many articles, essays and books and this best seller became a miniseries that people actually had viewing parties in friend's homes for four (?) successive nights.

It made a star of several actors including LeVarr Burton who showed us the heartbreak of slavery pretty darned convincingly.

Last edited:
It is obviously a left wing Holywood depiction of slavery

We need a conservative movie which shows slaves singing and dancing, slaves joining the Confederate Army to fight to maintain slavery and of course more black slave owners

Funny, Democrats were the slave owners bud.

Open a book for once.

And it was liberals who fought against slavery

And, don't forget, it was the founding fathers who "worked tirelessly to end it".

=========

If the movie is true to the book, if its as compelling and evocative as the book, it deserves every award it gets and more.

And, very happy for the young actress who played Patsey.

Should of had some history at the end that slavery was carried out by all peoples. Thank god within white socities it has been ended.

Can't say the same for parts of Africa today.

There is more slavery in the world and in the US now than there was then.

Sure enough were.

There were no Republicans at the time.

The Republican party was the LIBERAL wing of the Whig party..who did own slaves.

You might want to take your own advice.

Are you saying that Democrats didn't oppose abolition?

You're saying Lincoln wasn't a Republican? Why did they create a Republican Party?

I enjoy it when Republicans reminisce about the time when they actually fought for the rights of the downtrodden

They don't seem to understand that they should be ashamed of that fact.

Not seen the movie yet, but I have read about the true story of Mr. Northrup....the truth is quite compelling....a educated, free black man kidnapped and held in slavery for 12 years...having to hide his education or else be punished....severely.

Thank you.

Why, now?

Yep.

Its just nag, nag, nag.

And, of course, that makes it "race baiting".

`

Not neccessarily true anymore. I saw a history class text book that listed Lincoln's religion as "Liberal". The kids these days have a level of brainwashing that didn't exist in the near past.[/

His religion or his political party? I would also be interested in knowing whatbth name of that textbook is.

Back then, Republicans were the liberal party.

Now, they're not even conservative. They're just ignorant and evil. I have little doubt they'd bring back slavery, if they could. They're real close to is as it is.

(A) Sorry, but I only read the book and haven't seen the film yet.

(B) If well done, the film can have value as a [probably] true and realistic depiction of slavery originating with a person who actually experienced it, rather than someone who has done research and drawn conclusions (like Alex Haley).

(C) The academy awards are given for all sorts of reasons unrelated to the quality of the film itself. Basically it's just a giant ego-fuck by the Hollywood Glitterati, and not to be taken very seriously by anyone outside that world.

Back then, Republicans were the liberal party.

Now, they're not even conservative. They're just ignorant and evil. I have little doubt they'd bring back slavery, if they could. They're real close to is as it is.
This is the first post I've read of yours since about my second day here and this is why. You're insane.

Forum List

Back