12 Years A Slave: Why Did I Win Best Picture?

My question is this, why must Hollywood continue race-baiting?

Isn't it just a veiled attempt to foment racial tension, and isn't this all just political?

Obama said the Cold War has been over for 20 years. It's yesterday's news to him. Slavery has been over for roughly 150 years, yet they still want to bring it up and give it awards, as if it is a new subject matter.

Why is making a movie about slavery race baiting?

Hollywood just made a movie about Noah and another about Jesus. Is there a time limit on when an historical movie can be made?

I haven't seen it and I don't plan on seeing it, but it won an Oscar for best picture.

Is racism Hollywood's topic dejour now? Is that why it won?

Not seen the movie yet, but I have read about the true story of Mr. Northrup....the truth is quite compelling....a educated, free black man kidnapped and held in slavery for 12 years...having to hide his education or else be punished....severely.

Thank you.

Problem is I've already seen "Roots".

Why, now?

My question is this, why must Hollywood continue race-baiting?

Isn't it just a veiled attempt to foment racial tension, and isn't this all just political?

Obama said the Cold War has been over for 20 years. It's yesterday's news to him. Slavery has been over for roughly 150 years, yet they still want to bring it up and give it awards, as if it is a new subject matter.

Why is making a movie about slavery race baiting?

Hollywood just made a movie about Noah and another about Jesus. Is there a time limit on when an historical movie can be made?

I didn't see it getting any awards ether.

Funny, Democrats were the slave owners bud.

Open a book for once.

Sure enough were.

There were no Republicans at the time.

The Republican party was the LIBERAL wing of the Whig party..who did own slaves.

You might want to take your own advice.

Are you saying that Democrats didn't oppose abolition?

You're saying Lincoln wasn't a Republican? Why did they create a Republican Party?

Did you read my post?

Republican Party (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a wiki page for ya.

Funny, Democrats were the slave owners bud.

Open a book for once.

Sure enough were.

The Republican party was the LIBERAL wing of the Whig party..who did own slaves.

You're saying Lincoln wasn't a Republican? Why did they create a Republican Party?

After Northrup was freed. :D Here, let me help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)

The Republican Party, also commonly called the GOP (for "Grand Old Party"), is one of the two major contemporary political parties in the United States, the other being the Democratic Party. Founded by anti-slavery activists in 1854,

Solomon Northup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Solomon Northup[Note 1] (July 1808 – 1863?)[1][2] was a free-born African American from New York, the son of a freed slave. A farmer and violinist, he owned a property in Hebron. In 1841 he was kidnapped by slave-traders, having been enticed with a job offer as a violinist. When he accompanied his supposed employers to Washington, DC, they drugged him and sold him as a slave. He was shipped to New Orleans where he was sold to a plantation owner in Louisiana. He was held in the Red River region of Louisiana by several different owners for 12 years, during which time his friends and family had little word of him other than his being kidnapped. He made repeated attempts to escape and get messages out of the plantation. Eventually he got news to his family, who contacted friends and enlisted the Governor of New York, Washington Hunt, to his cause. He regained his freedom in January 1853 and returned to his family in New York.[3]

I enjoy it when Republicans reminisce about the time when they actually fought for the rights of the downtrodden

We still are. Democrats are still enslaving the downtrodden and the rest of us are being ridiculed for trying to prevent it.

Democrats say that working less means more freedom. From what? Freedom from success? Poverty is not freedom. It is the lack of freedom.

Democrats discourage marriage (unless it's same-sex marriage).

Democrats are busy working to increase poverty at the same time they're splurging on corporate welfare in the form of Quantitative Easing, and at the same time they're intentionally driving up the costs of everything. If this isn't a form of enslavement, I don't know what it is.

Get help man.

FOXspeak is killing your brain.

Sure enough were.

The Republican Party, also commonly called the GOP (for "Grand Old Party"), is one of the two major contemporary political parties in the United States, the other being the Democratic Party. Founded by anti-slavery activists in 1854,

Solomon Northup[Note 1] (July 1808 – 1863?)[1][2] was a free-born African American from New York, the son of a freed slave. A farmer and violinist, he owned a property in Hebron. In 1841 he was kidnapped by slave-traders, having been enticed with a job offer as a violinist. When he accompanied his supposed employers to Washington, DC, they drugged him and sold him as a slave. He was shipped to New Orleans where he was sold to a plantation owner in Louisiana. He was held in the Red River region of Louisiana by several different owners for 12 years, during which time his friends and family had little word of him other than his being kidnapped. He made repeated attempts to escape and get messages out of the plantation. Eventually he got news to his family, who contacted friends and enlisted the Governor of New York, Washington Hunt, to his cause. He regained his freedom in January 1853 and returned to his family in New York.[3]

Your link is no good, and you cut off the fact that the GOP, not the Democratic Party, was founded by anti-slavery activists in 1854.....

The Republican Party, also commonly called the GOP (for "Grand Old Party"), is one of the two major contemporary political parties in the United States, the other being the Democratic Party. Founded by anti-slavery activists in 1854, it dominated politics nationally for most of the period from 1860 to 1932. There have been 18 Republican presidents, the first being Abraham Lincoln, serving from 1861 to 1865, and the most recent being George W. Bush, serving from 2001 to 2009. The most recent Republican presidential nominee was former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.

But thanks for your honest, but slightly flawed response. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
I enjoy it when Republicans reminisce about the time when they actually fought for the rights of the downtrodden

We still are. Democrats are still enslaving the downtrodden and the rest of us are being ridiculed for trying to prevent it.

Democrats say that working less means more freedom. From what? Freedom from success? Poverty is not freedom. It is the lack of freedom.

Democrats discourage marriage (unless it's same-sex marriage).

Democrats are busy working to increase poverty at the same time they're splurging on corporate welfare in the form of Quantitative Easing, and at the same time they're intentionally driving up the costs of everything. If this isn't a form of enslavement, I don't know what it is.

Get help man.

FOXspeak is killing your brain.

Nothing wrong with my brain.

I see this every time I fill up my gas tank, or buy food, or pay my bills.

I just can't figure you out muddy

Here it is Hollywood making a movie that condemns the evil Democratic slaveholders and Republicans complain

You would think it is the Democrats on this board starting such a thread

Here it is Hollywood making a movie that condemns the evil Democratic slaveholders and Republicans complain

I never see the Democrats getting bad press for it.

The rationale is that it's whites being whites, and everyone knows who has 90% whites in their party. *nod nod wink wink*

The rationale is that it's whites being whites, and everyone knows who has 90% whites in their party. *nod nod wink wink*
Oh....I see your point

Republicans complain about movies like this not because it makes Democrats look bad.....but it makes their white conservative base look bad

I haven't seen it and I don't plan on seeing it, but it won an Oscar for best picture.

Is racism Hollywood's topic dejour now? Is that why it won?

Not seen the movie yet, but I have read about the true story of Mr. Northrup....the truth is quite compelling....a educated, free black man kidnapped and held in slavery for 12 years...having to hide his education or else be punished....severely.

Thank you.

Why, now?

I guess one movie about slavery every 40 years is enough

Your link is no good, and you cut off the fact that the GOP, not the Democratic Party, was founded by anti-slavery activists in 1854.....

The Republican Party, also commonly called the GOP (for "Grand Old Party"), is one of the two major contemporary political parties in the United States, the other being the Democratic Party. Founded by anti-slavery activists in 1854, it dominated politics nationally for most of the period from 1860 to 1932. There have been 18 Republican presidents, the first being Abraham Lincoln, serving from 1861 to 1865, and the most recent being George W. Bush, serving from 2001 to 2009. The most recent Republican presidential nominee was former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.

But thanks for your honest, but slightly flawed response. :eusa_angel:

Oh?

Oh....I see your point

Republicans complain about movies like this not because it makes Democrats look bad.....but it makes their white conservative base look bad

Whites were the first to end slavery and see it as morally wrong. So tell me what does that make the slave owners of parts of Africa look like?

Thank you.

Why, now?

Dude, spare me.

It's never ending. Not just slavery but racism.

amistad.jpg
malcolm_x_ver2.jpg
the_help_poster_1.jpg

Thank you.

Why, now?

Exactly. There are countless movies on the Civil War. Is it possible to talk about that subject without discussing slavery? Of course it is. Just like it is possible to tell the story of one person who was a victim of the institution f slavery, but had the courage to endure and even escape to return to his former life as a free man.

Unless a person truly has guilt feelings, or is just incapable of grasping the fact that some slaves were people who had individual and unique life stories, I do not see how it is possible to view this story as being one which exploits racism.

Forum List

Back