18 senate republicans join with Democrats to break filibuster

Dude, thread was discussing the bill being debated.
Dude, I know that. The bill that the 18 Republicans sided with the Democrats to end the filibuster is just part one of a 2-bill plan. I basically agreed with you that there's not much pork in this first bill. The second will be stuffed with pork and other wasteful bullshit.

The two bills are related. Pay attention to the news.

And when that happens; they will probably sound just like you do in this post. Wow.

How many times in the last 7 months have you guys predicted the end of life as we know it?

I sincerely hope the Dems double back and ram though another infrastructure measure to address what they couldn't get GOP support for in this package. Child care for working moms (you can't go to work if you have to stay home with your kid), expanding worker training, and flood control.

What was passed (From NPR)...

Lawmakers set aside the largest share of the money, $110 billion, for roads and bridges.
The bill also includes roughly:
  • $73 billion for electric grid and power infrastructure
  • $66 billion for passenger and freight rail
  • $65 billion for broadband investments
  • $55 billion for water systems and infrastructure
  • $50 billion for Western water storage
  • $39 billion for public transit
  • $25 billion for airports
  • $21 billion for environmental remediation projects
  • $17 billion for ports and waterways
  • $15 billion for electric vehicles
  • $11 billion for road safety
And that money is going to come right out of your pocket...

I think we're witnessing a slow weaning of Republicans from the teats of the Magabeast.

Money talks, and BS walks, and that truism still stands the test of time.

Orange donny should have shared some of that $100 million he raised from the minions.
I think what we’re going to witness is a split within the Democrat party although Nancy and Co. are making various deals to prevent (postpone more like it) that very thing. This possibility of a split will never be discussed by US Lame Stream Media sources. No way. Keeping things under cover is a tactical standard.
Compare the goals between Corporate Democrats and Super Progressives. The glue is holding, but the need for additional glue is required every few weeks now. Bargaining chips are on the table, while words of promises hold off their release of rage (similar to the rioting full of violent types ready to act out again) if they don’t get their demands met. Super Progressives will soon outweigh the number of Progressives. What will Nancy do to then to save the ship…give away the farm?

If there's ANYTHING they can make deals on, it's the kind of unlimited spending that allows them all to pay off lobbyists as well as spreading around some vote-buying cash. Between January of 2017 and today, how much magic money has been injected or scheduled to be injected into our economy? Is it 6 or 7 trillion? If anyone can explain for me how we are going to avoid hyperinflation and the collapse of the dollar, I'd really like to hear it. Any bets on how long our economy remains viable after the collapse of the dollar?

I'm no economics wizard but when I think about the downstream effects of the day after our cash becomes worthless, I have a real sense of foreboding about the consequences. I doubt that 5% of the populace of the average major city has the resources to feed themselves and buy fuel to leave the city or be mobile enough to gather other resources in the aftermath.

The other 90+ percent will be desperate within a few days.
none of them even have a clue....they see numbers like " Trillion " and just assume it will come from somewhere.
Doesn't matter anymore.....the dollar is so far in the negative it cannot survive...it's no longer a matter of if but now when.

JO

18 senate republicans have broken ranks and joinded with Democrats to break the filibuster on the infrastructure bill. Debate has ended, final vote to be held within days.

It's about trying to some cooperation, this country might survive after all.

none of them even have a clue....they see numbers like " Trillion " and just assume it will come from somewhere.
Doesn't matter anymore.....the dollar is so far in the negative it cannot survive...it's no longer a matter of if but now when.

JO

Looks like we better claw all of those tax cuts for the filthy rich and corporations back huh?

Conservatives have ben railing against budget deficits for decades and the sky has not fallen yet

but sooner or later it will

The Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill Is a Sham​

The Senate just passed a $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill—and teed up another $3.5 trillion bill in the process.​

". . . Meanwhile, the Congressional Progressive Caucus released a statement today saying that its members "won't support a bipartisan bill without a bold reconciliation bill to advance our priorities." It's a two-bill deal.

The best way to think of these two pieces of legislation, then, is not to think of them as two entirely separate bills, but as a package deal representing $4.1 trillion in spending on the Biden agenda. And rather than restraining Democratic spending ambitions somehow, the infrastructure bill tees up the rest of the package, advancing the ball on the larger Biden agenda.

So when 19 Senate Republicans turn out to vote for the infrastructure deal, arguing that it's a fully paid for compromise that doesn't raise any taxes, they are effectively supporting a $4.1 trillion tandem package, and everything that may end up in it, even while pretending that they are adamantly opposed.

To understand why this happened anyway, it's important to understand the almost mystical allure of bipartisan dealmaking in Congress, especially in the Senate. In parts of official and high-status Washington, bipartisan deals are seen as a good unto themselves, almost independent of what's in them. And for a certain type of lawmaker, that allure has an even greater appeal now, in the post-Trump era, when one of the Senate's own is in the White House. Biden himself is a true believer in the power of across-the-aisle dealmaking.

At the same time, Congress has been consumed by gridlock and dysfunction, and as a result there has been a growing sense, shared in part by many frustrated lawmakers, that it has lost the ability to get things done. . . . "

Bipartisan-usually.jpg

Forum List

Back