1911 guys listen up!

You know, there's a reason why the Army stopped using those.

Yep. Because we are far too interested in sharing ammunition diet foreign "allies" we shouldn't even be aligned with (NATO) rather than the effectiveness of a weapon system.

The 1911 uses a .45 ACP cartridge. The rest of NATO used 9mm. Thsts why we converted to the Berretta M9 (foreign made 9mm) pistol about 25 years ago. It sucks.

Only problem with a 1911 is that is is not practical for left-handed shooters (like my wife); the safety is on the wrong side.

Yep. Because we are far too interested in sharing ammunition diet foreign "allies" we shouldn't even be aligned with (NATO) rather than the effectiveness of a weapon system.

The 1911 uses a .45 ACP cartridge. The rest of NATO used 9mm. Thsts why we converted to the Berretta M9 (foreign made 9mm) pistol about 25 years ago. It sucks.

There was more to it than that. Part of the reason why they got rid of it was because it was too heavy. It weight over 3 pounds with a full magazine.

It wasn't practical for MP's, who had to use them on a daily basis.

There was more to it than that. Part of the reason why they got rid of it was because it was too heavy. It weight over 3 pounds with a full magazine.

I have T times carried a 1911 as my CCW choice. Commander length, full frame, stainless steel with 8+1 and had ne troubles. I'm not a big guy and I have to carry it concealed. Soinds like some whiney MPs to me.

They are selling M1 Garands with gear right now...I wish they came with a grenade launcher and a few grenades, to protect myself from an onslaught of renegade deers...

They were really way too heavy for a sidearm

Too heavy for today's recruits ...

pajamaBoy-e13874871215341.jpg

The 1911 is six ounces heavier than the M9 that replaced it. Having used both, give me the 1911.

Still a nice handgun though.

It was a pain in the ass to do maintenance on, particularly getting the leaf spring back in. Also way too many small parts they managed to lose while cleaning them. (I always kept an ample supply of replacements.

That's all part of an older style gun. I think it's part of the process and don't mind. I find complicated mechanical things to be rather zen inducing.

Forum List

Back