3,700,000 AR-15s in private hands...and now the current stock just sold out...

Why?

Because they look dangerous?
I believe that either is the main reason or has a lot to do with it. Resemblance to the M-16, which is seen in all contemporary war movies imparts a certain macho mystique to it.

I'm a relic from the M-1 Garand era, which was one hell of a weapon. Big and heavy, but it will take out an adversary right through a cinder block wall at 500 yards. But the present ideal is light weight and Buck Rogers imagery.

I've never seen an AR-15, which closely resembles the M-16 and probably accounts for its popularity. Based on all I've read and heard about both weapons my preference inclines to the AK-47, which is very sturdy, extremely reliable -- even in wet, sandy conditions, and is relatively simple to disassemble and clean. Plus a good AK-47 is priced at around $400, while an AR-15 costs $1,500. I don't know how much an M-16 costs but it must be around $2,000.

I'll be interested in hearing from those who have hands-on knowledge of all three of these weapons. Which is the better weapon, and why?

I have one of each. If society collapsed and I could only head to the hills with 1....no question it's the AK47. Never breaks. Never needs cleaning. Fires a 2x larger bullet. And...it eats the cheapest steel cased ammo you can buy... $4 for 20 rounds...and loves it. I can by 100 rounds for $15 in bulk packs every time I'm in the store and never hurts the budget. Have a great supply stocked up now. About 8 spare mags. Give me the AK any day over the AR.
And when you croak, your descendants are going to look at your arsenal, and wonder what the crazy old fart was thinking. I have 100 brass, and the makings of about the same number for my primary hunting rifle, that will more than likely last me the rest of my life. I really don't plan on going to war.
The 'war' is coming to you asshole. The enemy is already on your doorstep.
But don't worry. You never hear the shot that kills you.

And for good reason. It's the Honda of fighting rifles. Extremely dependable and efficient. Nothing flashy. Easy to use.
I really like my Veper. Gots me over 1k rounds too for dirt cheap and accurate to a one inch diameter at 100 yards. Not sniping but good 'nuff..
I have a 'Nightforce NXS on my 308 NM.
I can see a honey bee sitting on a watermelon from 200 yards down range.

and inevitably, 100's of those 3,700,000 made and sold legally will illegally, or through easy loop holes, end up in the hands of gangsters, murders or terrorists such as San Bernadino attackers....
Then it's a good thing there are multi millions of them in the hands of sane law abiding citizens right?
Today's question: Of the 14 dead and dozens wounded how many do you think would have wished they had a gun?
GOLD STAR!!!!!!

That will be sad - when they're all banned.
They won't. We turd
That will be sad - when they're all banned.

Why?

Because they look dangerous?

th

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

They will either be banned or magazine capacity severely reduced. Duck hunters can only have 3 shells in gun at a time.
I think the proper thing is to simply apply the same laws to them as to the .45 Thompson. And if you are caught off your property with one of the assault weapons without that license, you get a felony conviction and all your guns confiscated and destroyed. Also, a three month waiting period to purchase a gun, whether private or commercial sale. And if you sell a gun without the paper work, same thing, felony conviction, and all your weapons are confiscated and destroyed, and you never can own another firearm. Not only that, if you do said sell, without the paperwork, and the gun is used in a crime, you own that crime.
The AR-15 is not automatic weapon, so why should it be treated like one?

They will either be banned or magazine capacity severely reduced. Duck hunters can only have 3 shells in gun at a time.
I think the proper thing is to simply apply the same laws to them as to the .45 Thompson. And if you are caught off your property with one of the assault weapons without that license, you get a felony conviction and all your guns confiscated and destroyed. Also, a three month waiting period to purchase a gun, whether private or commercial sale. And if you sell a gun without the paper work, same thing, felony conviction, and all your weapons are confiscated and destroyed, and you never can own another firearm. Not only that, if you do said sell, without the paperwork, and the gun is used in a crime, you own that crime.

I think the proper thing is to simply apply the same laws to them as to the .45 Thompson.

Why?

ARs, unlike the old Thompson, is not full auto.

Which is why the Thompson has the laws covering it's ownership it does.
When you can empty a 30 shot clip in under 10 seconds, what is the differance between auto and semi-auto?
One is semi-auto, like any hunting rifle, and the other is a machine gun.

Because it looks all scary and shit

and inevitably, 100's of those 3,700,000 made and sold legally will illegally, or through easy loop holes, end up in the hands of gangsters, murders or terrorists such as San Bernadino attackers....
You mean the ones Americans of your ilk want to import by the millions

Plus a good AK-47 is priced at around $400, while an AR-15 costs $1,500.
You can get brand new AR-15s for under $500 if you put just a tiny bit of work into it.
The AR-15 is infinitely more accurate than the AK, and while it may not pass the Crest test, it is perfectly reliable for the huge, huge majority of people who shoot them.

]
I don't know how much an M-16 costs but it must be around $2,000.
Try $18k-25k
M16 Archives - David Spiwak

I think the proper thing is to simply apply the same laws to them as to the .45 Thompson.
Why?
ARs, unlike the old Thompson, is not full auto.
Which is why the Thompson has the laws covering it's ownership it does.
When you can empty a 30 shot clip in under 10 seconds, what is the differance between auto and semi-auto?
About 7.75 seconds.

Because it looks all scary and shit

th

No doubt. As they would if they were banned as well. Japan is the most heavily regulated country on the planet as regards guns, is the easiest to keep free of guns and yet the Japanese police admit that the Yakuza have more guns than members. France has more illegal weapons than legal ones. The genie is out of the box. Banning guns only makes it easier for bad people to do bad things to good people.

It's a catch 22, I know....

Yes...Americans understand that the anti gun extremists are nuts.....so...after San Bernadino..where 14 unarmed people in a gun free zone were killed by 2 muslims with guns....in a gun free zone....Americans bought out the entire stock of AR-15s...

Post San Bernardino Gun Sales Surge Drains U.S. AR Supply - The Truth About Guns

TTAG’s reached out to some of this country’s largest firearms wholesalers and learned that the sales channel is dry. AR’s they ain’t got. And no wonder. IWI US’s VP of Sales & Marketing, Michael Kassner, tells TTAG that IWI’s sold thousands of Tavors over the weekend. Folks, that’s a $2k rifle. You can imagine how many low-end AR’s are finding new homes in the rush to tool-up against terrorism, further fueled by the assault media’s decision to come out of the gun confiscation closet, ahead of Hillary Clinton’s potential election. There’s a lag between wholesaler supply and what you see at your local gun store. That means . . .

you’ll still see guns on the shelves for the time being. But for how long?

Looks like if you want an AR-15 to shoot up a classroom full of first graders or a movie theater yoy are going to have to buy one from a private gun owner

Lucky for you, there is nothing stopping him from selling it to you

And the largest single mass killing in US history was an asshole who burned 70 some people to death with a gallon of gas. The point being an asshole is going to murder people no matter what impediment you place in front of them. The reason why the 2nd is a RIGHT is to keep our government from doing the same thing to us on a mass scale. Assholes who murder people are a bane on our society but as we have seen in Norway and Europe where mass shootings STILL occur even though they enjoy the very strict controls you all demand.

Which tells this rational thinker that your supposed solution ...........isn't.

And what exactly would any of those things do to criminals or terrorists or other mass shooters….can you explain one thing…at all?

You are just obsessed with taking guns away from people who don't use them to commit crimes…...

3,700,000…..in private hands and the rest are in gun stores……

Candy corn…care to tell us exactly how many each year are used for crime or mass shootings?

Let's see….the two muslims…that would be 2 this year……they won't tell us what the colorado guy used so you can't count him…..there may be others but so far…

subtracted from 3,700,000

leaves 3,699,998…that were not used by their owners for any crime or mass shooting……

And again….the primary reason for those rifles…..to keep the government from doing what the Europeans did to 12 million innocent men, women and children of all ages…..mass murder, genocide and ethnic cleansing……

The country that kept the Germans from invading…Switzerland…why….they had 400,000 civilians with military rifles ready to fight if they were invaded….now compare that to 3,699,998 rifles in the hands of civilians…….

According to NRA gun nutters - we may as well do away with speed limits and motor vehicle laws. After all - they don't prevent EVERYONE from violating them. Should we also do away with law enforcement - since they don't prevent and/or solve ALL crimes?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back