300 Win Mag vs 300 WSM

Where did you get THAT info?? The seven mm does have a little more speed but it NEVER passes the WM with ft.lbs.

At one time, I looked at the 444 marlin V 300 H&H Mag at 300 yds. Just looking at the ballistic charts, the 2400 fps of the 444 vs the excess of 3700 for the 300 says that the 444 marlin is a very bad choice. At 300 yds, the 444 drops below 2200 fps and the 300 is still over 3300. Both shooting 200 and 240 grain ammo. But there is another factor involved that makes the 444 marlin head and shoulders over the 300. It's cross bullet density which the .429 vs .30 means that at 300 yds the 444 smokes all 30 calibers hands down. It won't be until 500 yds before the 30 cal catches up. This is where the 444 starts to degrade severely and the 30 cal is still pretty constant. The 7.62 v 7, the 7 would have to markedly faster and swing a heavier slug to beat out almost any of the 30 cal magnums. But if you increase the bullet weight you also lose fps if you don't push it harder. At some point, the 7mm gets a kick that I don't care to experience. The 30 cal Mags are bad enough.
I had a Ruger 77 in 7mm for 20 years.

Recoil was never a factor.

Gun has to fit though.

I didn't think that a .444 had a BC.... Talk a-bout a flat nose bullet.... may as well be shooting a Brick...

I love them Ruger77`s
I like the older ones with the tang safety.

That said, it was worthless in a gun rack, back in the day when trucks had gun racks.

I have two, would like a .280 Liberty Model, but, have too many guns to close the safe as it is.

I didn't think that a .444 had a BC.... Talk a-bout a flat nose bullet.... may as well be shooting a Brick...

The 444 marlin shows that if you throw a brick hard enough and you get hit with it it's deadly. At 100 Yds, I put a twig one inch from the target and hit the twig. The Bullet went to pieces and peppered the target over a 4 inch diameter and a half inch hole. At the speed of the 444, it's downright deadly out to about 400 yds. After that, it's almost falling straight down. Even then, it can bring down just about anything. At 400 yds, it's still traveling faster than the muzzle velocity of a 44 Mag.

s

The 444 marlin shows that if you throw a brick hard enough and you get hit with it it's deadly. At 100 Yds, I put a twig one inch from the target and hit the twig. The Bullet went to pieces and peppered the target over a 4 inch diameter and a half inch hole. At the speed of the 444, it's downright deadly out to about 400 yds. After that, it's almost falling straight down. Even then, it can bring down just about anything. At 400 yds, it's still traveling faster than the muzzle velocity of a 44 Mag.
Nothing I ever shot walked off from my .44 Rem Mag.

And in the Handi-Rifle, it does not knock you teeth out

BTW, who would shoot out past 100-150 with any of those big bores?

s

Elk, bear, Nosy Neighbors (just kidding). I sold my marlin to a buddy. I told him to NEVER shoot a deer at 50 yds. His Father in Law did just that. A nice half inch hole and the other side was blown off.

One of the real reasons to own the 444 is that it's about the most ponies you can get in a saddle gun. It works like a charm in brush country. If you can see it, you can shoot it and it will go right through the brush and hit on target hard. I was hired as a backup rifle for black powder and bow hunters by a Guide in Alaska. There were two of us. My partner had a friggin cannon of a full bolt rifle of the .458 Win Mag. WE got pinned down by some idiot with a 30 cal that was sound shooting. The more we yelled the more he shot. Finally, I put a round in his general direction. Even after the BOOM you could still hear the bullet trucking through the brush. It got mighty quiet over there after that. On the Range, I got complaints from the 440 mag and 30 cal mags to warn them before I fired that "Cannon".

I never tried any shots beyond 300 yds. Sometime after that, the bullet drops considerably and slows down markedly. But at 300 yrds without scope, it still did a 6 inch grouping. You just had to adjust 4 inches high since it was sighted in for 100 yds.

I would like to locate a Winchester 1886 50-100-450 some day. That thing is about as much power you could ever handle out of a saddle gun.

http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1886/M86-127365/Tom Adams 1886 Cal 50-100-450.pdf

I found one on the Internet at $95,000 bucks. Too rich for my blood. The replicas are all chambered for the various 45 cals. And I don't want a super 45.

s

Elk, bear, Nosy Neighbors (just kidding). I sold my marlin to a buddy. I told him to NEVER shoot a deer at 50 yds. His Father in Law did just that. A nice half inch hole and the other side was blown off.

One of the real reasons to own the 444 is that it's about the most ponies you can get in a saddle gun. It works like a charm in brush country. If you can see it, you can shoot it and it will go right through the brush and hit on target hard. I was hired as a backup rifle for black powder and bow hunters by a Guide in Alaska. There were two of us. My partner had a friggin cannon of a full bolt rifle of the .458 Win Mag. WE got pinned down by some idiot with a 30 cal that was sound shooting. The more we yelled the more he shot. Finally, I put a round in his general direction. Even after the BOOM you could still hear the bullet trucking through the brush. It got mighty quiet over there after that. On the Range, I got complaints from the 440 mag and 30 cal mags to warn them before I fired that "Cannon".

I never tried any shots beyond 300 yds. Sometime after that, the bullet drops considerably and slows down markedly. But at 300 yrds without scope, it still did a 6 inch grouping. You just had to adjust 4 inches high since it was sighted in for 100 yds.

I would like to locate a Winchester 1886 50-100-450 some day. That thing is about as much power you could ever handle out of a saddle gun.

http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1886/M86-127365/Tom Adams 1886 Cal 50-100-450.pdf

I found one on the Internet at $95,000 bucks. Too rich for my blood. The replicas are all chambered for the various 45 cals. And I don't want a super 45.

For some reason, primarily to sell more guns and licenses, a single-shot big bore is now legal for "primitive" season here and in Mississippi.

Mississippi legalized the .35 Whelen, and Louisiana follow.

Many rifles have been sold in .45-70 and .444, but I find the .44 Rem Mag, with a proper handload, to be all I have ever needed.

I fired one round of .45-70, in the synthetic stock Handy-Rifle, and that is all I would ever want of that.

If I had to carry a light rifle for bears, it would be an AR in .308.

s

For some reason, primarily to sell more guns and licenses, a single-shot big bore is now legal for "primitive" season here and in Mississippi.

Mississippi legalized the .35 Whelen, and Louisiana follow.

Many rifles have been sold in .45-70 and .444, but I find the .44 Rem Mag, with a proper handload, to be all I have ever needed.

I fired one round of .45-70, in the synthetic stock Handy-Rifle, and that is all I would ever want of that.

If I had to carry a light rifle for bears, it would be an AR in .308.

The first time I fired the 444 marlin, I got quite a lesson. I put my cheek securely on the stock like you would for any normal rifle. I fired it and it felt like someone just punched me in the mouth. I learned you treated it more like a shotgun and lightly put your cheek on the stock. The Marlin weighs a whopping 5 lbs and under 7 fully loaded. It has a very fast powder burn rate like a shotgun. I learned by firing a 45-70 and a 458 win mag that you fired it the same way. You relaxed and rode the recoil.

And make sure you have a good rubber pad on the stock for your shoulder.

Forum List

Back