4 day vs 5 day school week.

If they choose not to work than they dont have a problem with childcare.
And your link said it was people 55 and older.
How many parents have children that young at 55?

I had two links, one about working paretns, one about retired people.

From the first link......The labor force participation rate—the percent of the population working or looking for work—for all mothers with children under age 18 was 71.2 percent in 2021, unchanged from the prior year but down from 72.3 percent in 2019.

This is a rather startling turn of events.

The same people harping on inflation for the past 2 years are now saying that the cost of daycare has no bearing at all on if a parent chooses to stay home vice going to work with young children that would need daycare.

The cost of childcare has risen by 41% during the pandemic with families spending up to 20% of their salaries

I am aware of the rising costs of child-care, I already said that the cost of child-care went up precipitously in my post. But the question was how much that affected the drop in the labor force participation rate for all mothers with children under age 18 between 2019 and 2021. I doubt the decline in that rate was due to the higher costs of child-care for the basic reason that most families weren't paying for child-care in the 1st place. Mothers were not staying home during the pandemic because of higher child-care costs, they stayed home cuz they couldn't go to work.

I had two links, one about working paretns, one about retired people.

From the first link......The labor force participation rate—the percent of the population working or looking for work—for all mothers with children under age 18 was 71.2 percent in 2021, unchanged from the prior year but down from 72.3 percent in 2019.

And as I said,if they aren't working they have no need childcare.

I am aware of the rising costs of child-care, I already said that the cost of child-care went up precipitously in my post. But the question was how much that affected the drop in the labor force participation rate for all mothers with children under age 18 between 2019 and 2021. I doubt the decline in that rate was due to the higher costs of child-care for the basic reason that most families weren't paying for child-care in the 1st place. Mothers were not staying home during the pandemic because of higher child-care costs, they stayed home cuz they couldn't go to work.

So, what in your mind is the reason that some mothers that worked before COVID are not going back now?

And as I said,if they aren't working they have no need childcare.

They were working prior to COVID and now they are not. Do you think maybe, just maybe the added cost of childcare might play a role in that decision?

I already said some people dont work because childcare is so expensive.
That was going on long before covide became an issue.

But it got worse during and after COVID as the price has gone up by about 40% in just a couple years

So, what in your mind is the reason that some mothers that worked before COVID are not going back now?

Don't know. Maybe the costs of working (food, gas, etc.) made it more attractive to stay home, at least for one parent. BTW, the participation rate for fathers with children under age 18 also declined for that same period of time, just thought I'd throw that out there. Are they going back to work now, mothers and fathers? Don't have the numbers either way, but I imagine the reasons are probably diverse. One might think that with the inflation rate as it is that parents would be trying to make ends meet rather than being unemployed. It could be that some parents who were paying for child-care before had to quit due to the higher cost, add it all up and maybe it made more sense for mom or dad to stay home. But I've seen nothing to quantify that; I'm not saying the higher child-care costs didn't matter, but I do think an awful lot of people weren't paying for child-care before the pandemic hit, so it wasn't that big of a factor IMHO.

Maybe a lot of people including parents did some thinking about their careers, work conditions, and long-term goals. LOL, maybe they just didn't want to go back to work for personal reasons like the boss or owner was a jerk. Maybe a lot of them are self-employed now and didn't want to get back into the rat-race.

Don't know. Maybe the costs of working (food, gas, etc.) made it more attractive to stay home, at least for one parent. BTW, the participation rate for fathers with children under age 18 also declined for that same period of time, just thought I'd throw that out there. Are they going back to work now, mothers and fathers?

Which is not surprise because there are families where the mother makes more money thus it makes more sense for the father to stay home.

Why would the kids be dumber if they got the same amount of hours of instruction as they did going 5 days a week?
I think it is worth a try, but I don't expect it to be a good way to improve education. Right now, in my school, the kids attend 7.5 hours for five days, which is 37.5 hours per week. Divide that same time by four and it's nine hours and twenty-two minutes.

I can tell you, most kids are exhausted by last period as it is. At least exhausted of learning, they still have to be yelled at to stop running in the halls on the way out. I try to schedule my special kids for their core classes in the morning, while they're fresh. so they can burn off energy at PE, and relax in Art or whatever.

I think teachers would be exhausted also, with such long days. Exhausted to the point that they would stop functioning well as teachers. Before I taught, my assumption was that a teachers work was how I remembered my teachers: take roll, give a brief lesson, and sit at their desk while the kids worked on worksheets, looking up answers, or doing math problems. It ain't like that at all. Not complaining, I love my job, but at the end of the day, I'm spent.

Still, let them try it and see. We need to think outside the box, if we don't want Asian kids to keep kicking our asses in international testing.

Prices have definitely sky rocketed.
The question is will they go back down after the covide hysteria calms down.

Supply and demand, my friend. Prices will drop when the supply of something exceeds demand, or a cheaper alternative is found. While COVID hysteria may eventually calm down, the question of inflation is a separate issue. Interest rates, gov't policies and spending, the supply of money, etc., could still be a problem especially if the democrats are allowed to continue their war on fossil fuels.

Supply and demand, my friend. Prices will drop when the supply of something exceeds demand, or a cheaper alternative is found. While COVID hysteria may eventually calm down, the question of inflation is a separate issue. Interest rates, gov't policies and spending, the supply of money, etc., could still be a problem especially if the democrats are allowed to continue their war on fossil fuels.

You'd think there would be fewer kids going to daycare during the scamdemic with so many people losing their jobs or working from home.
Of course they may have jacked up the prices to compensate for the loss of income.

You'd think there would be fewer kids going to daycare during the scamdemic with so many people losing their jobs or working from home.
Of course they may have jacked up the prices to compensate for the loss of income.
My daughter worked in a day care the first full school year of the panicdemic, and it was packed more than usual, which is why they hired extra day care workers.

Closing the schools as part of the Democratic plan to crash Trump's economy was one of the most evil acts in the history of the Democratic Party. That's saying a lot considering they were the ones who put slavery in the constitution and founded the KKK.

I teach special education and more and more kids are being identified, because the assessment community haven't adjusted expectations for the missing year to year and a half of school that most kids experienced. The old tests that show what grade level a kid reads on have lost validity, because of everyone falling behind.

Did you mean to write "covide" as if to say it was used to divide us? If so, well done. If not, accidentally well done.

That wasn't my intent but it's true no doubt.
Although I dont think they thought it through to the logical conclusion.
Liberals are more than willing to get the jab while conservatives are rightly suspicious of them and tend to not take the jab.
Which of course will give conservatives the numbers when the dust settles.

Forum List

Back