538 Analysis: Why the Democrats have shifted Left

It's not exactly a secret that the Democratic Party has clearly moved to the Left over the last generation or two. The only people who appear to disagree with that are the Progressive (Regressive) Left - because, I assume, they merely see the party as coming more in line with their beliefs. As the party becomes less liberal and more leftist authoritarian, they become more comfortable and satisfied.

Unfortunately, many of us who lean Left are watching the party become something with which we can no longer identify, leaving us without a party. And the alternative "major" party has done its own changing, and is currently something that is becoming more and more ugly and vulgar. Personally, I don't think the increasing division is a coincidence as much as it is a reaction.

Interesting cultural & statistical analysis on this by 538: Why The Democrats Have Shifted Left Over The Last 30 Years

=====
This means that the recent uptick in the share of voters holding liberal beliefs is driven not just by the departure of conservative voters, but also by Democrats themselves becoming more liberal. It is, of course, hard to identify just one reason the Democratic Party has shifted leftward in recent years, but in my conversations with experts, they all pointed to party elites (both politicians and influential liberal voices online). Now, some research has found that cues from the parties and party elites are even shaping voters’ personal beliefs, particularly on issues of race and immigration.

But why have so many Democrats moved to the left on these issues? On the one hand, the fact that race and immigration played such a central role in the 2016 election was certainly a contributing factor. A 2018 study by Peter Enns at Cornell University found that rather than voters choosing a candidate who matched their views on controversies like the Black Lives Matter movement, they actually changed their own views to match those of their preferred candidates. And there is evidence that Trump is continuing to drive some of this — although, perhaps not in the way one might expect. There isn’t evidence, for instance, that his rhetoric has contributed to an uptick in racist and sexist attitudes among white voters; instead, as FiveThirtyEight contributor Matt Grossmann has written, “the evidence shows that liberal-leaning voters moved away from [Trump’s] views faster than conservatives moved toward them.”

=====

There are other party alternatives ya know. There's nothing that says we can only have two. In fact there is nothing at all regarding political parties in the constitution leaving one to wonder why and how we've become a nation of only two.

It's not exactly a secret that the Democratic Party has clearly moved to the Left over the last generation or two. The only people who appear to disagree with that are the Progressive (Regressive) Left - because, I assume, they merely see the party as coming more in line with their beliefs. As the party becomes less liberal and more leftist authoritarian, they become more comfortable and satisfied.

Unfortunately, many of us who lean Left are watching the party become something with which we can no longer identify, leaving us without a party. And the alternative "major" party has done its own changing, and is currently something that is becoming more and more ugly and vulgar. Personally, I don't think the increasing division is a coincidence as much as it is a reaction.

Interesting cultural & statistical analysis on this by 538: Why The Democrats Have Shifted Left Over The Last 30 Years

=====
This means that the recent uptick in the share of voters holding liberal beliefs is driven not just by the departure of conservative voters, but also by Democrats themselves becoming more liberal. It is, of course, hard to identify just one reason the Democratic Party has shifted leftward in recent years, but in my conversations with experts, they all pointed to party elites (both politicians and influential liberal voices online). Now, some research has found that cues from the parties and party elites are even shaping voters’ personal beliefs, particularly on issues of race and immigration.

But why have so many Democrats moved to the left on these issues? On the one hand, the fact that race and immigration played such a central role in the 2016 election was certainly a contributing factor. A 2018 study by Peter Enns at Cornell University found that rather than voters choosing a candidate who matched their views on controversies like the Black Lives Matter movement, they actually changed their own views to match those of their preferred candidates. And there is evidence that Trump is continuing to drive some of this — although, perhaps not in the way one might expect. There isn’t evidence, for instance, that his rhetoric has contributed to an uptick in racist and sexist attitudes among white voters; instead, as FiveThirtyEight contributor Matt Grossmann has written, “the evidence shows that liberal-leaning voters moved away from [Trump’s] views faster than conservatives moved toward them.”

=====

There are other party alternatives ya know. There's nothing that says we can only have two. In fact there is nothing at all regarding political parties in the constitution leaving one to wonder why and how we've become a nation of only two.
I would like very much for at least one more viable party to emerge as a strong alternative. But if this can't happen during a time of division like this, it may not ever.

"The System" apparently won't allow for it.

=====

=====
I didn't leave the Democrat Party (decades ago) … they left me.
If you had, you would know it is the Democratic Party

The centrist, big business democrats are the most cowardly jellyfish that ever pretended to fight for the common man. They buckled under pressure and made deep comprises at every turn. Only the progressives seem to have any courage or conviction. If the center is so great for America why did they seem to hardly ever accomplish anything for the working person?
You do realize that the Trumpsters say exactly the same kind of thing?

What is your opinion of President Obama going public with his concerns about the trajectory of the party? Don't you think him saying that in public is important?
The party has it's problems to be sure but if we are ever to claw back some power from the billionaires the progressives are clearly the ones to lead that fight.
Well, that's what we're getting from both ends. What I don't understand is why both ends think they're going to "beat" the other.
Right wing anger is directed downward towards regular people while left-wing anger is directed at the powerful where it belongs. This distinction makes all the difference if for some reason you want to live in a free country.
Really?
antifa_violence_lovetrumpshatereallllyy.jpg

The centrist, big business democrats are the most cowardly jellyfish that ever pretended to fight for the common man. They buckled under pressure and made deep comprises at every turn. Only the progressives seem to have any courage or conviction. If the center is so great for America why did they seem to hardly ever accomplish anything for the working person?

What is your opinion of President Obama going public with his concerns about the trajectory of the party? Don't you think him saying that in public is important?
Trumpsters are the same as who?

Do you mean elected republicans or republican voters?

Look at what I was quoting.

The Trumpsters are like the "Progressives" in their complaints about anyone on their side who is willing to communicate with the other tribe. Communication and compromise and collaboration are not allowed. Only "my" tribe has any courage or conviction.

Birds of a feather.

The important distinction here is the party is NOT becoming "more liberal"... I hear that all the time and I correct folks every chance I get.
The party is becoming totalitarian. And even worse, it is a mixture of corporatism and totalitarianism. So that power and wealth BOTH are getting more and more concentrated.

The Trumpsters are like the "Progressives" in their complaints about anyone on their side who is willing to communicate with the other tribe. Communication and compromise and collaboration are not allowed. Only "my" tribe has any courage or conviction.

Birds of a feather.
So you mean trump voters

unfortunately everything trump voters support is unacceptable to progressives

Birds of a feather.
So you mean trump voters

And vice versa. Birds of a feather.

Birds of a feather.
So you mean trump voters

Yes, but we won the election

The party has it's problems to be sure but if we are ever to claw back some power from the billionaires the progressives are clearly the ones to lead that fight.

Bloomberg 2020!

Birds of a feather.
So you mean trump voters

Yep.

haha...yeah, those pesky law abiding, wealthy folks whom pay your way are such a pain in the ass...meanwhile you beg for more wetbacks to fuck you over...haha
When you say"claw back some power" do you really mean "steal some cash"?

Birds of a feather.
So you mean trump voters

Yep.
I think its the left that is being unreasonable

America has never had 100% agreement on any policy

we debate, we vote, and the winner carries out his policy

But that changed in 2016

=====

=====

Simple shit...the Republican Party locked down the responsibility of acting as 'Americas Keeper'. They did a better job staying committed to protecting and preserving American values, morals, tradition and culture...The Party Of Free Shit Filth And Foreigners had nowhere else to go...no market share so to speak...they had to sell their filthy asses to Mexico and those whom sit within the armpit of America, those ignorant enough to disregard policy and only vote on emotion and personal shortcomings....The Mexicrats can't stay relevant without Mexico, faggots, degenerates, weirdos, chicks with dicks, feminazis, drug users, criminals, white guilt whackos...the circus side show freaks of the nation are their BASE.

But that changed in 2016

I agree.
The media, the elitist and the progressives declared war on Trump. Even before he sat in office the words impeachment were uttered by not just a mourning media - but sitting house members.
The Speaker of the House called the President of the United States "an imposter".
A duly elected President.
That should be grounds for her own dismissal.

Birds of a feather.
So you mean trump voters

Yep.

But that changed in 2016
Mac pines for the good ole days when the republicans were cordial and compliant little capitulators, who went along to get along so they could get the softball media interviews, be invited to the cool parties, and get the good tee times.

But don't dare stand up and push back, lest you be branded an "extremist" and a "tribalist".

Forum List

Back