54 percent of Los Angeles Shuns English at Home

It's a shame to see teenagers struggling to learn a family heritage language that they could have but did not acquire during childhood. A shame, but not uncommon.

Considering a population of 3,928,864, the damage is done

-Geaux
-------------------------

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times

wow...

they should speak spanish at home.

my grandparents spoke yiddish at home.

i have friends who speak russian at home.

my sister in law speaks spanish to her daughter at home so she remains bi-lingual.

damn, you're stupid.

You should learn English and try to speak it at home. Does your religion forbid capitalization?

okie dokie. i choose not to use it.

maybe i should give back my degrees.......

Maybe you should grow up and stop being willfully inaccurate. Are you just a lazy piece of shit?

That's the old truth. Highspanics [sic] today carry on Spanish speaking and that is the problem.

It's the truth today as much as ever. Every day.
Not where highspanics [sic] live. Not in my locale.

You are speaking from ignorance and stupidity (and cowardly fear).
I'm speaking from reality. .....

No, you're not. You're trying to filter things you don't understand through your own stupidity until they satisfy your prejudice and fear. You're a weakling and a fool.
Wrong again. I'm dealing with a fourth generation of highspanics who now have marquees written exclusively in Spanish. Complete opposite of the assimilation of previous generations of immigrants.

The same dynamic plays out over and over again, with each generation and trend in country of origin.

Grandma may tag along speaking only the family's heritage language (but certainly not always), then comes mom speaking to her children in a broken mix of two languages while the kids reply to her in fluent or near-fluent English and talk to Grandma in an (often) broken form of the family heritage language. Many of those kids will grow up to marry outside their ethnic group, and on it goes as always.

I see it every day, and think to myself "God bless America."
That's the old truth. Highspanics today carry on Spanish speaking and that is the problem.

Not where highspanics live. Not in my locale.

perhaps you should use the proper word, which is hispanics.

it must so suck to be as ignorant and full of bigotry as you are.
I use highspanics as avrrdponse to neosegregationist invaders who use infrastructure while wedging their separatist culture.

No, you're not. You're trying to filter things you don't understand through your own stupidity until they satisfy your prejudice and fear. You're a weakling and a fool.
Wrong again. I'm dealing with a fourth generation of highspanics who now have marquees written exclusively in Spanish. Complete opposite of the assimilation of previous generations of immigrants.

You are incorrect. A sign is not only NOT a sign of rejecting assimilation or failure to acquire a language, such things are very common throughout US history in various ethnic neighborhoods. Stop being such an unAmerican pussy.

The same dynamic plays out over and over again, with each generation and trend in country of origin.

Grandma may tag along speaking only the family's heritage language (but certainly not always), then comes mom speaking to her children in a broken mix of two languages while the kids reply to her in fluent or near-fluent English and talk to Grandma in an (often) broken form of the family heritage language. Many of those kids will grow up to marry outside their ethnic group, and on it goes as always.

That's the old truth. Highspanics today carry on Spanish speaking and that is the problem.

perhaps you should use the proper word, which is hispanics.[sic]...

The proper term is "Latino."
Today. That's already changed afew times. Used to be Chicano.
I'd prefer American but that goes against the invading bigoted spirit.

You are incorrect. A sign is not only NOT a sign of rejecting assimilation or failure to acquire a language, such things are very common throughout US history in various ethnic neighborhoods. Stop being such an unAmerican pussy.
Wrong again. The marquee is on the road near a catholic church that used to be assimilated. Now it is spanish-speaking-only.
Four generations of highspanic immigrants and the ESOL still needs to be subsidized.

I use highspanics as avrrdponse to neosegregationist invaders who use infrastructure while wedging their separatist culture.

whatever

-Geaux

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times
Those probably are the ones that are illegal. Those that wish to be citizens and come over legally learn our language and assimilate into our society.

The title is misleading, what would you expect from the Moonie Times?
Other countries are multi-lingual. We should be, too.

Four generations of highspanic [sic] immigrants and the ESOL still needs to be subsidized.

Try thinking about that for a minute.

Holy shit you're stupid.

I use highspanics [sic] as avrrdponse [sic] to neosegregationist invaders.....

Making sure everyone knows what a coward and an idiot you are?

Four generations of highspanic [sic] immigrants and the ESOL still needs to be subsidized.

Try thinking about that for a minute.

Holy shit you're stupid.
No, you're stupid. That is a very detailed and concise post.

You sound defeated.

-Geaux

most of their kids know English....my dad and his siblings spoke Italian when at my grand parents house.....but everyone knew English....

-Geaux

most of their kids know English....my dad and his siblings spoke Italian when at my grand parents house.....but everyone knew English....

meh....

why do you care? it's not your business and it has zero effect on your life.

You sound defeated.

I sound like I know what I'm talking about, because I do. You do not.

Forum List

Back