54 percent of Los Angeles Shuns English at Home

I was born in America but my parents were born in Greece so they taught me a second language. Most "Americans" don't know a second language. But in most other countries, people can usually speak 2 or more languages. Makes Americans looks stupid.

I don't consider myself a White American. White Americans were born in America, so were their grandparents and they are mutts. They have lost touch with their roots.
I don't consider myself as a white American. I'm an American who could be described as white but I don't identify as white. I'm an assimilated American. I only speak English as that is the language native to my country. That you speak a second language is on you. Good for you. Has nothing to do with usurping American culture with that of a previous or immigrant heritage.
How does someone speaking a language of their own choice in their own home affect you?
It reflects a reluctance to assimilate which puts more pressure ($$) on the infrastructure.

That is very wrong.
But you can't elaborate as to why it's wrong.

Because you are wrong again.

I don't consider myself as a white American. I'm an American who could be described as white but I don't identify as white. I'm an assimilated American. I only speak English as that is the language native to my country. That you speak a second language is on you. Good for you. Has nothing to do with usurping American culture with that of a previous or immigrant heritage.
How does someone speaking a language of their own choice in their own home affect you?
It reflects a reluctance to assimilate which puts more pressure ($$) on the infrastructure.

That is very wrong.

Troll bin...

That is very wrong.

Troll bin...

The fact that you keep saying that so often to so many people doesn't suggest to you that YOU may in fact be wrong?

That is very wrong.

Troll bin...

You are wrong again because you don't know what you are talking about.

That is very wrong.

Troll bin...

Thats a chronic condition for him. I dont think I've ever seen him get anything right.

That is very wrong.

Troll bin...

And you speak of nothing as though that's supposed to mean something? Provide details or go to the troll bin.

That is very wrong.

Troll bin...

And you speak of nothing as though that's supposed to mean something? Provide details or go to the troll bin.

You cling to your ignorance like a security blanket. How families communicate in the privacy of their own homes tells you nothing about their assimilation to American life.

It's always sad to hear (supposed) stories about 'the old days' when Grandpa XYZ forbade his children from speaking the language of their family heritage in the house. Something important lost for no particular gain. "Don't speak X at home!" doesn't really do much to accelerate English acquisition for children living in an English-speaking country.

The same dynamic plays out over and over again, with each generation and trend in country of origin.

Grandma may tag along speaking only the family's heritage language (but certainly not always), then comes mom speaking to her children in a broken mix of two languages while the kids reply to her in fluent or near-fluent English and talk to Grandma in an (often) broken form of the family heritage language. Many of those kids will grow up to marry outside their ethnic group, and on it goes as always.

I see it every day, and think to myself "God bless America."

The same dynamic plays out over and over again, with each generation and trend in country of origin.

Grandma may tag along speaking only the family's heritage language (but certainly not always), then comes mom speaking to her children in a broken mix of two languages while the kids reply to her in fluent or near-fluent English and talk to Grandma in an (often) broken form of the family heritage language. Many of those kids will grow up to marry outside their ethnic group, and on it goes as always.

That's the old truth. Highspanics today carry on Spanish speaking and that is the problem.

That's the old truth. Highspanics today carry on Spanish speaking and that is the problem.

It's the truth today as much as ever. Every day.

Not where highspanics live. Not in my locale.

That's the old truth. Highspanics [sic] today carry on Spanish speaking and that is the problem.

Not where highspanics [sic] live. Not in my locale.

You are speaking from ignorance and stupidity (and cowardly fear).

You hear two people say something you can't understand (people not talking to you, of course), it scares you, and you draw illogical conclusions. Ignorance in action.

Last edited:

That's the old truth. Highspanics [sic] today carry on Spanish speaking and that is the problem.

I'm speaking from reality. It's where I live. You're trying to tell me about my own circumstance? That is the height of arrogance.

I'm speaking from reality. .....

No, you're not. You're trying to filter things you don't understand through your own stupidity until they satisfy your prejudice and fear. You're a weakling and a fool.

Considering a population of 3,928,864, the damage is done

-Geaux
-------------------------

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times

wow...

they should speak spanish at home.

my grandparents spoke yiddish at home.

i have friends who speak russian at home.

my sister in law speaks spanish to her daughter at home so she remains bi-lingual.

damn, you're stupid.

perhaps you should use the proper word, which is hispanics.

it must so suck to be as ignorant and full of bigotry as you are.

-Geaux

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times

wow...

my sister in law speaks spanish to her daughter at home so she remains bi-lingual.

damn, you're stupid.

You should learn English and try to speak it at home. Does your religion forbid capitalization?

perhaps you should use the proper word, which is hispanics.[sic]...

The proper term is "Latino."

-Geaux

wow...

damn, you're stupid.

You should learn English and try to speak it at home. Does your religion forbid capitalization?

okie dokie. i choose not to use it.

maybe i should give back my degrees.

is there some pathologic reason where no matter what i post, you troll me about not using caps.

you're a waste of time.

Forum List

Back