54 percent of Los Angeles Shuns English at Home

EnglishLang_atHome.gif

Considering a population of 3,928,864, the damage is done

-Geaux
-------------------------

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times
most of their kids know English....my dad and his siblings spoke Italian when at my grand parents house.....but everyone knew English....

meh....

why do you care? it's not your business and it has zero effect on your life.
do you mean me jill?..........

The same dynamic plays out over and over again, with each generation and trend in country of origin.

Grandma may tag along speaking only the family's heritage language (but certainly not always), then comes mom speaking to her children in a broken mix of two languages while the kids reply to her in fluent or near-fluent English and talk to Grandma in an (often) broken form of the family heritage language. Many of those kids will grow up to marry outside their ethnic group, and on it goes as always.

I see it every day, and think to myself "God bless America."
That's the old truth. Highspanics today carry on Spanish speaking and that is the problem.
all my family speaks Italian when were together....but we all know English....

-Geaux

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times
most of their kids know English....my dad and his siblings spoke Italian when at my grand parents house.....but everyone knew English....

meh....

no. sorry. i was asking the whiner

how are you harry?

The same dynamic plays out over and over again, with each generation and trend in country of origin.

Grandma may tag along speaking only the family's heritage language (but certainly not always), then comes mom speaking to her children in a broken mix of two languages while the kids reply to her in fluent or near-fluent English and talk to Grandma in an (often) broken form of the family heritage language. Many of those kids will grow up to marry outside their ethnic group, and on it goes as always.

That's the old truth. Highspanics today carry on Spanish speaking and that is the problem.

Very typically American.

-Geaux

wow...

they should speak spanish at home.

my grandparents spoke yiddish at home.

i have friends who speak russian at home.

my sister in law speaks spanish to her daughter at home so she remains bi-lingual.

damn, you're stupid.

You should learn English and try to speak it at home. Does your religion forbid capitalization?

okie dokie. i choose not to use it.

maybe i should give back my degrees.

is there some pathologic reason where no matter what i post, you troll me about not using caps.

you're a waste of time.
i very seldom use caps....if someone just cant seem to understand what im saying let me know and ill try Italian or Spanish...

Last edited:

-Geaux

meh....

how are you harry?
doing great jill.....retired 3 years now....and i dont miss stuffing those dam boxes at all....lol...i laugh at the carrier who stuffs mine....
biggrin.gif

Very typically American.
hey it the only way we can keep the language going.....not many italians out here,run into one every now and then,but many dont speak it....

Very typically American.
hey it the only way we can keep the language going.....not many italians out here,run into one every now and then,but many dont speak it....
Maybe because you're not in Italy.
I suppose, when in Italy, all Italians who don't accommodate fourth generation Italians who remain english speakers are hateful bigots.

-Geaux

meh....

how are you harry?
doing great jill.....retired 3 years now....and i dont miss stuffing those dam boxes at all....lol...i laugh at the carrier who stuffs mine....
biggrin.gif

glad it's worked out well for you!

our carrier didn't even get through today. we're up to more than 15 inches of snow. :eek:

*edit that* we're at 25 inches

Last edited:

Very typically American.
It is nice when your family can keep their homeland country language while assimilating to their new home country and their new language.

edited to include "language"

Last edited:

Very typically American.
I suppose, when in Italy, all Italians who don't accommodate fourth generation Italians who remain english speakers are hateful bigots.
did i say anything about being hateful "bigots" or was that you?.....wait i think it was you.....yea it was you....

meh....

how are you harry?
biggrin.gif

glad it's worked out well for you!

our carrier didn't even get through today. we're up to more than 15 inches of snow. :eek:

*edit that* we're at 25 inches
glad i did not have to carry in that stuff....rain was bad enough...

Very typically American.
It is nice when your family can keep their homeland country language while assimilating to their new home country and their new language.

well according to roshawn i must be a hateful bigot....i guess thats what he was saying,hard to know with that one....

Very typically American.

Stop digging, the hole you've made for yourself is deep enough.

Los Angelenos not only shun English at home, but everyplace else too.
they do that when they know a bigot like you is around.....they love pissing people like you off.....
I absolutely adore giving Latinos that blank stare. I understand everything the say but damn it's great to see some one looking for a translator while I walk off in a huff. Sometimes if they have any accent at all I'll say "I can't understand you. Is there someone that speaks English?"

It makes living in Los Angeles worth it.

Very typically American.
did i say anything about being hateful "bigots" or was that you?.....wait i think it was you.....yea it was you....
It was a rhetorical question spawned by some of your buds' posts.

Very typically American.

well according to roshawn i must be a hateful bigot....i guess thats what he was saying,hard to know with that one....
Don't play dumb. Answer my question. I want you to demonstrate consistency.

Forum List

Back