54 percent of Los Angeles Shuns English at Home

Considering a population of 3,928,864, the damage is done

-Geaux
-------------------------

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times
The lives of 100% of LA families would be much better today if English and Spanish had been taught in public schools from 1st grade on starting from the end of WWII.

Those who know only one language.

Know none.

-Geaux

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times
When you got sorry as bitches like Palin articulating English...I'd stick with my native language too....but here's the deal...another corporate american staple....there's not one public or private venue in this country that doesn't cater to immigrants..why in the fuck would any of them want to learn english? I spend at least a solid 2 minutes trying to get money out of a fuckin ATM just going through the various fuckin languages that put forth...again, why would anyone want to learn fuckin english?

-Geaux

The lives of 100% of LA families would be much better today if English and Spanish had been taught in public schools from 1st grade on starting from the end of WWII.

Know none.
That would not help the Chinese, Arabic or Farsi speakers.

-Geaux

Know none.

That's overdoing it.

-Geaux

Know none.
It would help Chinese, Arabic, and Farsi speaking children in the public schools, however.
ijerph-11-01914-g007-1024.png

-Geaux

Know none.
It would help Chinese, Arabic, and Farsi speaking children in the public schools, however.

How?

You conservatives can thank Ronald Reagan for granting amnesty to millions of hispanics and not doing a goddamn thing to stop more from coming over! Hell, you can thank Nixon for opening us up to China, and the bush's for keeping Reagans dream alive!

-Geaux

Know none.

That's overdoing it.
Agreed.
I'm responding in a somewhat emotional manner because I remember my conservative white parents making the same argument to me fifty years ago.

IMHO, if English and Spanish were taught to every public school student in LA (California would be better), the enhanced communication levels between the races would lead to lower levels of violence, and, perhaps, a greater likelihood of building progressive political movements.

-Geaux

Know none.

How?
By increasing the children's abilities to communicate with a wider range of citizens. It's true a Chinese, Persian, or Arabic child in LA public schools will learn English as part of her daily curriculum; however, that doesn't mean English will serve her as well as English and Spanish will a decade or two from today.

"Damage"? What "damage"?

Thanks for proving my point :up:

-Geaux
You DO know this is a natural progression, right? Those new to the country speak their native language and maybe pick up bare English. Their children speak both languages....but not well. They are the ones who are the natural translators. By the 3rd generation, they are speaking English and have probably let go of their grandparents' language and can barely speak to them....they are totally Americanized. This happens with all...German, Italian, Russian, Mexican, Chinese, etc.
Except Mexicans. They speak Spanish generation to generation. The rioters hold Mexican flags aren't grandparents. They are young men. Watch the videos.

-Geaux

Know none.

That's overdoing it.
Agreed.
I'm responding in a somewhat emotional manner because I remember my conservative white parents making the same argument to me fifty years ago.

IMHO, if English and Spanish were taught to every public school student in LA (California would be better), the enhanced communication levels between the races would lead to lower levels of violence, and, perhaps, a greater likelihood of building progressive political movements.

:lmao:

"Damage"? What "damage"?

Thanks for proving my point :up:

-Geaux
You DO know this is a natural progression, right? Those new to the country speak their native language and maybe pick up bare English. Their children speak both languages....but not well. They are the ones who are the natural translators. By the 3rd generation, they are speaking English and have probably let go of their grandparents' language and can barely speak to them....they are totally Americanized. This happens with all...German, Italian, Russian, Mexican, Chinese, etc.
Except Mexicans. ....

Mexicans too

-Geaux

Know none.

How?
By increasing the children's abilities to communicate with a wider range of citizens. It's true a Chinese, Persian, or Arabic child in LA public schools will learn English as part of her daily curriculum; however, that doesn't mean English will serve her as well as English and Spanish will a decade or two from today.

Why do you say that?

-Geaux

Know none.

That's overdoing it.
Agreed.

Stop teaching spanish at all. Revoke the licenses for Spanish television and radio. Tie everyone caught speaking Spanish between two poles and give them 20 lashes with a cat o nine tails. Watch the communication levels rise.

-Geaux

Know none.

That's overdoing it.
Agreed.

Stop teaching spanish at all. Revoke the licenses for Spanish television and radio. Tie everyone caught speaking Spanish between two poles and give them 20 lashes with a cat o nine tails. Watch the communication levels rise.

¡Loco en la cabeza!

Forum List

Back