6 weeks of weight training

I took karate and tai chi for 10+ years and most people do not know how to control their body and limbs and neck when working out.
And yet some of them are able to build muscle and bench 400. And without ever doing a bit of yoga or tai chi or whatever.

I get tired of listening to twiggy “martial arts” dudes telling us how we’re lifting wrong.

You do you. But it’s dumb to act like being into martial arts somehow equates to being an expert on lifting.

When I was 18, I joined a local gym. I was talll and skinny. I looked around and saw all these muscular guys and thought WTF am I doing here? Well, every one of those guys did nothing but encourage and help me. I went from barely able to bench press 75lbs to about 150lbs. They were all in the 300lb club but cheered when I did that.

I remember guys trying to encourage me to take juice. I had no interest, even with heavy, constant peer pressure. I would see some of these guys put on large size in a short time. All tanned up and looking like monsters. I stuck to my principles, taking the Hulk Hogan approach....eat my vitamins, (which was now creatine and protein) and working my ass off. I loved the challenge, that's all it was.

I'd read all the muscle mags I could, earned a much greater respect for the science behind it. These guys weren't meatheads, they were committed and smart. I was never going to be THAT big, that's for the pros and those taking health risks, but I could admire their development. My dad thought I was gay since I read such mags, hah, this couldn't be further from the truth but I respected their discipline.

Maybe a year later, I was told one of these guys in the juice click pissed out blood. Another had constant stomach pains. I had less size (at that time), but none of these insane health effects. Still years after, I saw two of these guys. They were skinny, frail/unhealthy looking, their gains gone. While all the muscle I and others in my circle had gained remained. Real and natural.

A friend of mine re-connected with me many years later told me that he and some of our other mutual friends would see me with my gym bag, hauling myself to the gym and they'd joke and laugh. He said that he respected my dedication though, it was something I really enjoyed since I was getting older and my old group of athletes didn't play regular sports together anymore, I needed the outlet and focus.

Whether it's coding a project, building a deck or building ones muscles, there is something instinctive about pushing for change and the creation of something new from the air.

And yet some of them are able to build muscle and bench 400. And without ever doing a bit of yoga or tai chi or whatever.

I get tired of listening to twiggy “martial arts” dudes telling us how we’re lifting wrong.

You do you. But it’s dumb to act like being into martial arts somehow equates to being an expert on lifting.
I go to the gym and the guys who do several hundred pounds are groaning, their legs are wavering and their faces are contorting.
With training, they can do the same weight with good form.

I go to the gym and the guys who do several hundred pounds are groaning, their legs are wavering and their faces are contorting.
What does groaning or facial grimacing have to do with form?

I remember guys trying to encourage me to take juice. I had no interest, even with heavy, constant peer pressure. I would see some of these guys put on large size in a short time. All tanned up and looking like monsters. I stuck to my principles, taking the Hulk Hogan approach....eat my vitamins, (which was now creatine and protein) and working my ass off. I loved the challenge, that's all it was.
I'd read all the muscle mags I could, earned a much greater respect for the science behind it. These guys weren't meatheads, they were committed and smart. I was never going to be THAT big, that's for the pros and those taking health risks, but I could admire their development. My dad thought I was gay since I read such mags, hah, this couldn't be further from the truth but I respected their discipline.

Maybe a year later, I was told one of these guys in the juice click pissed out blood. Another had constant stomach pains. I had less size (at that time), but none of these insane health effects. Still years after, I saw two of these guys. They were skinny, frail/unhealthy looking, their gains gone. While all the muscle I and others in my circle had gained remained. Real and natural.

A friend of mine re-connected with me many years later told me that he and some of our other mutual friends would see me with my gym bag, hauling myself to the gym and they'd joke and laugh. He said that he respected my dedication though, it was something I really enjoyed since I was getting older and my old group of athletes didn't play regular sports together anymore, I needed the outlet and focus.

Whether it's coding a project, building a deck or building ones muscles, there is something instinctive about pushing for change and the creation of something new from the air.
Yeah, the guys at the gym were taking Winstrol. This was in the sixties. Also Anavar which I took for a while in pill form . It never did help me bulk up but made me stronger.

Last edited:
Yeah, the guys at the gym were taking Winstrol. This was in the sixties. Also Anavar which I took for a while. It never did help me bulk up but made me stronger.
Just like me and garlic.

Ok well *you* try benching 405 without at least a grunt and a grimace.the whole point of weight lifting is to keep pushing the limit. That takes effort.
Notice that martial artists, unlike most athletes, never wane due to age.
In fact, they improve with age.
A well-trained athlete should never have to retire in their late 30s or early 40s.
I have seen too many weight-lifters look like hell when they hit their 50s and that does not have to be the case.
It's all ego.

Again, I don’t think you understand what “form” means in this instance.

And, yes, as you progress and get stronger what once made you grunt and “contort” your face will become easy mode.

What’s a one-rep max for one guy might be a 20-rep warm up for another.

But any guy doing whatever his max may be will almost always make a little noise and/or grimace or whatever. If you’re doing it with ease, then it’s no longer your max.

Again, I don’t think you understand what “form” means in this instance.

And, yes, as you progress and get stronger what once made you grunt and “contort” your face will become easy mode.

What’s a one-rep max for one guy might be a 20-rep warm up for another.

But any guy doing whatever his max may be will almost always make a little noise and/or grimace or whatever. If you’re doing it with ease, then it’s no longer your max.
I have never seen a good ending for these guys.
As I posted, they get incredibly depressed when they hit their 50s and their bodies start to deteriorate badly.
It's their choice because they've already seen their predecessors deteriorate.

Notice that martial artists, unlike most athletes, never wane due to age.
In fact, they improve with age.
A well-trained athlete should never have to retire in their late 30s or early 40s.
I have seen too many weight-lifters look like hell when they hit their 50s and that does not have to be the case.
It's all ego.
I’m not sure what you’re talking about. There’s a lot of different kinds of athletes.

Weight-lifters will invariably lose muscle and definition around 50 (maybe 60 if good genetics) because testosterone production starts to decline between 35 and 40.

And are you really suggesting martial artists don’t wane in their 50s? How many 50+ MMA fighters can go up against a 25 year old MMA fighter?

I have never seen a good ending for these guys.
As I posted, they get incredibly depressed when they hit their 50s and their bodies start to deteriorate badly.
It's their choice because they've already seen their predecessors deteriorate.
So we should never try to get huge because we’ll just lose it all eventually anyway?

I’m not sure what you’re talking about. There’s a lot of different kinds of athletes.

Weight-lifters will invariably lose muscle and definition around 50 (maybe 60 if good genetics) because testosterone production starts to decline between 35 and 40.

And are you really suggesting martial artists don’t wane in their 50s? How many 50+ MMA fighters can go up against a 25 year old MMA fighter?
MMA Fighters are not martial artists.
When's the last time you saw an MMA fighter move 20 feet in a fraction of a second?
I didn't see it; I simply got a black eye.

Ok well *you* try benching 405 without at least a grunt and a grimace.the whole point of weight lifting is to keep pushing the limit. That takes effort.
If I tried that I’d grimace as the bar strangled me.:eek:

So we should never try to get huge because we’ll just lose it all eventually anyway?
The point is you don't have to lose it.
Taking the time and proper traning to work up to a goal will not destroy you.
The problem is that no one has patience anymore.

MMA Fighters are not martial artists.
When's the last time you saw an MMA fighter move 20 feet in a fraction of a second?
I didn't see it; I simply got a black eye.
So if you put some old 65 year old martial arts sensei (or whatever they’re called) in the ring with an accomplished UFC young buck, you really think the 65 year old would stand a chance?

I think you watch too many cheesy kung fu movies…,

So if you put some old 65 year old martial arts sensei (or whatever they’re called) in the ring with an accomplished UFC young buck, you really think the 65 year old would stand a chance?

I think you watch too many cheesy kung fu movies…,
I think you've never seen a real martial artist.
The UFC young buck wouldn't see it coming.
I'm sure Jet Li or Jackie Chan would make mincemeat out of one of them.
In fact, Jet Li or Jackie Chan would never show what they can really do in a movie because it's depressing how fast they can move.

The point is you don't have to lose it.
Taking the time and proper traning to work up to a goal will not destroy you.
The problem is that no one has patience anymore.
As much as I might wish it, I will not look like this or be this strong in my sixties and seventies. Just not how it works.

For example, I respect the shit out of guys like Sylvester Stallone, and he looks great for 70-whatever….. but…. Even with all the gear he’s got to be taking, he’s lost most of what he once had at 30 or 40. That’s life.

And what makes you an expert? Are you a power lifter? What gives you the credentials to lecture one? There’s a *lot* on thi earth I know little about. I do, however, know a lot about lifting heavy things and putting them back down again. Much more than you, I’d wager.

As much as I might wish it, I will not look like this or be this strong in my sixties and seventies. Just not how it works.

For example, I respect the shit out of guys like Sylvester Stallone, and he looks great for 70-whatever….. but…. Even with all the gear he’s got to be taking, he’s lost most of what he once had at 30 or 40. That’s life.

And what makes you an expert? Are you a power lifter? What gives you the credentials to lecture one? There’s a *lot* on thi earth I know little about. I do, however, know a lot about lifting heavy things and putting them back down again. Much more than you, I’d wager.
I would never be a power lifter because don't have the build and I prefer speed and accuracy.
Some of the guys I work with, who I'm good personal friends with, are power lifters, but they listen to my advice because there are some tasks we do together and I'm the one who isn't sweating like a pig.
I see the power lifters walking and they are stiff as heck.
I also have long periods of time, due to work, that I can't go to the gym.

I prefer to see people age as gracefully as possible.

Forum List

Back