8Hr workday? Weekends? Thank Henry Ford and Capitalism!

Why would they pay more?

Because as I have told you they will pay more because you artificially raised the prices of the cheper product they would have bought instead of the more expensive domestic product

If a consumer could buy a pair of foreign sneakers for 50 bucks and a comparable pair of American made sneakers for 100 bucks he would pick the less expensive pair.

Now you artificially raise the price of the imported sneakers with a tariff that makes the price 150 bucks. You just forced the consumer to pay either 150 or 100 dollars for a pair of sneakers he could have only paid 50 for.

So now he has less money to spend on other things than before the tariff

Or he doesn't buy any new sneakers at this time at all and keeps his old ones longer which equates to a reduction in demand

How is that a good thing?

We aren't talking sneakers. I wouldn't tariff sneakers. We are talking cars. I see no evidence the domestic product would be more epensive. We already make lots of cars here.

My god are you thick

If there is currently a foreign car with no tariffs that is less expensive than an American car and you place a tariff on it you just forced anyone who would have bought that less expensive car to pay more than he would have for a car by artificially raising the price on that car

Tariffs raise prices domestically I never said they raise the prices on domestic goods maybe you need to think about this a little or a lot more

And fyi we already have a tariff on sneakers which is why you pay more for them than you have to which leaves you less money to spend somewhere else thereby reducing demand for things

The US has imposed protective shoe tariffs on Americans for decades, even with no domestic shoe industry to protect - AEI

Not aware of a less expensive foreign made car.

You're not aware of much
I promise you- no one is charging you any less than they think you are going to pay for something, and they’re not charging you any more, either. Prices of consumer goods are based on nothing but that. If you think otherwise, you are a freaking idiot.

I know this for a fact, because I used to work in sales. You might like to know to know–in many high-end boutiques, items from super cheap wholesale stores are often sold for ten times the actual cost. Why? Because there are people who are willing to buy a $10 plastic handbag for $100. Who–while purchasing it–will gasp over what a fabulous deal it is. Not to mention the less shady fact that if no one buys an item at retail, that item gets marked down. Why? Because a business still wants to try to make at least some money on it and they can only charge what people are willing to pay for it.

The only value anything has is what someone is willing to pay for it.

Diamonds aren’t expensive because they are intrinsically valuable or because it costs so much to get them–they’re expensive because of an elaborate marketing campaign. Because someone decided they should be worth that much, and everyone else just went along with them.

Now, there are some people who benefit from cheap labor. The people at the top of the food chain, and stockholders. Everyone else, however, gets screwed.

The grand irony, of course, is that it’s not just the sweatshop workers or the minimum wage workers who get screwed in this. It’s us.

How many times did you ask me for expert testimony? What's the matter you don't have any this time? I have plenty

The problem is I provided you with loads and you still chose to ignore. No point in bothering.
Where is your proof that high tariffs increase salaries, increase foreign manufacturers presence in this country and increase demand?

You have none whatsoever

The effect of a tariff is always that it raises domestic prices by removing the choice of less expensive goods and ultimately reduce demand
What is the purpose of a tariff? You say it's so the government can get their cut but we say it's to encourage companies to manufacture here in the USA. If shipping and tariff costs make it too expensive to make it in China, come on home.

And I think even NIKE should be paying tariffs. But only because they mark up their product so much.

How much does Nike actually spend on a pair of sneakers that retails for $100? About $28.50.

Actually that's not that much of a mark up. I thought they would only pay $5 a pair. LOL

A tariff is an outdated protectionist tax that does nothing but raise prices for consumers

And you do know that part of the cost of Nike Sneakers is a tariff don't you? No I guess you don't

Nearly every time someone suggests raising the minimum wage, some ass always smugly chimes in with “Yeah, but do you want to pay $10 for a McDonald’s cheeseburger? I don’t think so.”

Which is true. Most people would not, in fact, pay $10 for a McDonald’s cheeseburger.

The thing is, this is not something I or anyone else has to ever worry about. Guess why? Because if McDonald’s charged more than anyone was actually willing to pay for a cheeseburger, no one would buy them and they wouldn’t make any money, period. But, my friends, this is how these corporations hold us hostage.

Think about this for a second. Nike pays its mistreated and abused sweatshop workers in Indonesia about 50 cents an hour, and still rarely charges less than $100 for their sneakers. Often they’re over $300.

Do you think J. Crew charges less because they use sweatshops ? Have you looked a J. Crew catalog recently?

McDonald’s, by the way, has upped the charge of a Big Mac nearly 75% since 2003. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it should actually have only gone up 28%. That extra cash wasn’t passed onto the workers, it was passed on to the people up top and the shareholders. So they’re going to increase prices whether or not they’re paying their employees a fair wage, depending on what they think they can sell these items for.
Was there some kind of point in there?
If McDonald's cannot sell reasonably priced hamburgers they will stop selling hamburgers. If they can substitute capital for labor by buying automated equipment they will do so. So instead of 10 people making 8/hr you'll have 2 people making 15/hr. Thats great if you're one of those two people, sucks for everyone else. What about this do you not understand?

Stand up to me? Really, internet tough guy?

You don't know any of my employees just like you don't anything period.

But you go ahead and feel important playing with other kids' toys while deluding yourself that you somehow had anything to do with your boss's success

You better run along now and punch that clock little drone

I suspect the best part of the day for your employees is when you go into your office to get on USMB to whine about "Those people".
Now, conservatives love to harp on the idea that minimum wage jobs are supposed to be for teenagers or for people just starting out, and that they are not meant for people to live on.

Which would be all well and good if all the manufacturing jobs had not gone overseas. You have to work with the situation you’ve got, not the situation you would like to have.

See, the thing is–only about 31.6% of the people in this country has a Bachelor’s Degree. When you add in the people who only have Associate’s Degrees, that still comes to only 41%. At this point in time, going to college doesn’t just mean getting an education and bettering yourself, it also means taking on colossal debt and also trying to financially support yourself while working towards your degree, unless you have really generous parents with a good deal of money.

In the meantime, college degrees are rapidly being devalued, and many well paying jobs require Master’s degrees. As well as some poorly paying ones, may I just say.

What the hell do we expect people to do? Really? How do we actually expect this to work?

Now, the way the rest of us get screwed in this, is that while we may think we’re just reeling in the discounts at McDonald’s and Walmart, we end up paying in other ways. Because these companies don’t want to pay their workers a living wage, we have to chip in with social services. We are literallypaying their employees wages for them, so they don’t have to. Minimum wage jobs cost our country $7 billion dollars a year. Who’s the putz here?

Conservatives are also fond of calling rich people “job creators” and suggesting that if we just give them more tax breaks, they’ll create more jobs out of the goodness of their hearts.

The problem is I provided you with loads and you still chose to ignore. No point in bothering.
Where is your proof that high tariffs increase salaries, increase foreign manufacturers presence in this country and increase demand?

You have none whatsoever

The effect of a tariff is always that it raises domestic prices by removing the choice of less expensive goods and ultimately reduce demand
What is the purpose of a tariff? You say it's so the government can get their cut but we say it's to encourage companies to manufacture here in the USA. If shipping and tariff costs make it too expensive to make it in China, come on home.

And I think even NIKE should be paying tariffs. But only because they mark up their product so much.

How much does Nike actually spend on a pair of sneakers that retails for $100? About $28.50.

Actually that's not that much of a mark up. I thought they would only pay $5 a pair. LOL

A tariff is an outdated protectionist tax that does nothing but raise prices for consumers

And you do know that part of the cost of Nike Sneakers is a tariff don't you? No I guess you don't

Nearly every time someone suggests raising the minimum wage, some ass always smugly chimes in with “Yeah, but do you want to pay $10 for a McDonald’s cheeseburger? I don’t think so.”

Which is true. Most people would not, in fact, pay $10 for a McDonald’s cheeseburger.

The thing is, this is not something I or anyone else has to ever worry about. Guess why? Because if McDonald’s charged more than anyone was actually willing to pay for a cheeseburger, no one would buy them and they wouldn’t make any money, period. But, my friends, this is how these corporations hold us hostage.

Think about this for a second. Nike pays its mistreated and abused sweatshop workers in Indonesia about 50 cents an hour, and still rarely charges less than $100 for their sneakers. Often they’re over $300.

Do you think J. Crew charges less because they use sweatshops ? Have you looked a J. Crew catalog recently?

McDonald’s, by the way, has upped the charge of a Big Mac nearly 75% since 2003. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it should actually have only gone up 28%. That extra cash wasn’t passed onto the workers, it was passed on to the people up top and the shareholders. So they’re going to increase prices whether or not they’re paying their employees a fair wage, depending on what they think they can sell these items for.
If McDonald's cannot sell reasonably priced hamburgers they will stop selling hamburgers. If they can substitute capital for labor by buying automated equipment they will do so. So instead of 10 people making 8/hr you'll have 2 people making 15/hr. Thats great if you're one of those two people, sucks for everyone else. What about this do you not understand?
I'm just trying to educate you.

Except…rich people save their money. You give a rich person a tax break, they say “Oh good, thanks, more money for me!” and shove it away in a bank. It is highly unlikely that any business is going to hire extra people they don’t need just because they have some spare cash. They probably aren’t going to hire any less than they need, either.

If you think the screwing stops there, you’re quite mistaken. Having an abundance of poor people and a few rich people does nothing lovely for our economy. In order for our economy to work, we need lots of people to be able to purchase things. Not just rich people! Also, as previously mentioned, rich people save money, so them making more money is in no way helpful to the rest of us. If you give people who are living paycheck to paycheck more money, most of that is going right back into our economy.

Now, on a personal level, I believe in more drastic changes. I also believe in universal single payer health care, I believe college should be free and I believe in a maximum wage. I believe in systems that produce the most good for the most people. I am not nearly as excited about the possibility of having more money than I could dream of spending as I would be about every person in this country having food, clothing and shelter.

However, just by making these small tweaks to our system and to our labor laws, we would end up with a far stronger middle class and a small “lower class” that can at least afford food, clothing, shelter and healthcare. Crime would go down rapidly, we’d all actually end up paying less in taxes, and the only thing we’d be lacking would be a few Paris Hiltons and Kim Kardashians. I think it could work.

Corporations do not screw workers and pass the savings onto you, the consumer

You have none whatsoever

Are you worried you are going to be one of those 8 people? Loser.

How many times did you ask me for expert testimony? What's the matter you don't have any this time? I have plenty

You have none whatsoever

Silly boo boo Micky ds is just an example, it's what you would pay extra if Minimum wage was raised across the board to $15 bucks an hour.

Instead of your weekly budget being say $150 bucks ...

It would be $180???? bucks plus for the same thing .....

Plus the other fact instead of 3% of the workers making minimum wage, you would then have 30%?

You have none whatsoever

I'm just trying to educate you.

Except…rich people save their money. You give a rich person a tax break, they say “Oh good, thanks, more money for me!” and shove it away in a bank. It is highly unlikely that any business is going to hire extra people they don’t need just because they have some spare cash. They probably aren’t going to hire any less than they need, either.

If you think the screwing stops there, you’re quite mistaken. Having an abundance of poor people and a few rich people does nothing lovely for our economy. In order for our economy to work, we need lots of people to be able to purchase things. Not just rich people! Also, as previously mentioned, rich people save money, so them making more money is in no way helpful to the rest of us. If you give people who are living paycheck to paycheck more money, most of that is going right back into our economy.

Now, on a personal level, I believe in more drastic changes. I also believe in universal single payer health care, I believe college should be free and I believe in a maximum wage. I believe in systems that produce the most good for the most people. I am not nearly as excited about the possibility of having more money than I could dream of spending as I would be about every person in this country having food, clothing and shelter.

However, just by making these small tweaks to our system and to our labor laws, we would end up with a far stronger middle class and a small “lower class” that can at least afford food, clothing, shelter and healthcare. Crime would go down rapidly, we’d all actually end up paying less in taxes, and the only thing we’d be lacking would be a few Paris Hiltons and Kim Kardashians. I think it could work.

Corporations do not screw workers and pass the savings onto you, the consumer
OK, you think rich people just stick their money in a bank vault and it sits there.
That pretty much indicates you are too ignorant to engage.

You have none whatsoever

Are you worried you are going to be one of those 8 people? Loser.
No, actually I am worried you are. And I'll have to pay more taxes to support your ass.

Because as I have told you they will pay more because you artificially raised the prices of the cheper product they would have bought instead of the more expensive domestic product

If a consumer could buy a pair of foreign sneakers for 50 bucks and a comparable pair of American made sneakers for 100 bucks he would pick the less expensive pair.

Now you artificially raise the price of the imported sneakers with a tariff that makes the price 150 bucks. You just forced the consumer to pay either 150 or 100 dollars for a pair of sneakers he could have only paid 50 for.

So now he has less money to spend on other things than before the tariff

Or he doesn't buy any new sneakers at this time at all and keeps his old ones longer which equates to a reduction in demand

How is that a good thing?

We aren't talking sneakers. I wouldn't tariff sneakers. We are talking cars. I see no evidence the domestic product would be more epensive. We already make lots of cars here.

My god are you thick

If there is currently a foreign car with no tariffs that is less expensive than an American car and you place a tariff on it you just forced anyone who would have bought that less expensive car to pay more than he would have for a car by artificially raising the price on that car

Tariffs raise prices domestically I never said they raise the prices on domestic goods maybe you need to think about this a little or a lot more

And fyi we already have a tariff on sneakers which is why you pay more for them than you have to which leaves you less money to spend somewhere else thereby reducing demand for things

The US has imposed protective shoe tariffs on Americans for decades, even with no domestic shoe industry to protect - AEI

Not aware of a less expensive foreign made car.

You're not aware of much
I promise you- no one is charging you any less than they think you are going to pay for something, and they’re not charging you any more, either. Prices of consumer goods are based on nothing but that. If you think otherwise, you are a freaking idiot.

I know this for a fact, because I used to work in sales. You might like to know to know–in many high-end boutiques, items from super cheap wholesale stores are often sold for ten times the actual cost. Why? Because there are people who are willing to buy a $10 plastic handbag for $100. Who–while purchasing it–will gasp over what a fabulous deal it is. Not to mention the less shady fact that if no one buys an item at retail, that item gets marked down. Why? Because a business still wants to try to make at least some money on it and they can only charge what people are willing to pay for it.

The only value anything has is what someone is willing to pay for it.

Diamonds aren’t expensive because they are intrinsically valuable or because it costs so much to get them–they’re expensive because of an elaborate marketing campaign. Because someone decided they should be worth that much, and everyone else just went along with them.

Now, there are some people who benefit from cheap labor. The people at the top of the food chain, and stockholders. Everyone else, however, gets screwed.

The grand irony, of course, is that it’s not just the sweatshop workers or the minimum wage workers who get screwed in this. It’s us.

You don't seem to know that tariffs raise prices so I don't really think you know anything about sales

You have none whatsoever

We have been talking about tariffs not minimum wage try to keep up

In all honesty I only spend about 15 or so hours a week in my office at the business. I do most of my work from my home office now. My Office manager takes care of the day to day minutiae. I get called in to fix the stuff she can't handle.

Right. ANd you have a Lamborghini and a private plane and are married to a supermodel... boring.

You have none whatsoever

Silly boo boo Micky ds is just an example, it's what you would pay extra if Minimum wage was raised across the board to $15 bucks an hour.

Plus the other fact instead of 3% of the workers making minimum wage, you would then have 30%?
Minimum wage should be enough that a person who makes minimum wage that works 40 hours shouldn't qualify for food stamps. The US taxpayer is sick of subsidizing mcd's. If you can only afford to pay ten more and you'll have to get rid of ten workers, so be it. Those who lose their jobs will find better jobs. This is America you know

You have none whatsoever

Minimum wage should be enough that a person who makes minimum wage that works 40 hours shouldn't qualify for food stamps. The US taxpayer is sick of subsidizing mcd's. If you can only afford to pay ten more and you'll have to get rid of ten workers, so be it. Those who lose their jobs will find better jobs. This is America you know
Increase the qualifications for food stamps. Problem solved.
WalMart etc is subsidizing the US taxpayer because if they didnt employ these people the taxpayer would be on the hook for all their needs.
Why we should pay for lazy people who cant find a job is a different question.

Increase the qualifications for food stamps. Problem solved.
WalMart etc is subsidizing the US taxpayer because if they didnt employ these people the taxpayer would be on the hook for all their needs.
Why we should pay for lazy people who cant find a job is a different question.

True. If you can't afford kids don't have them. And if you don't have kids and can't survive maybe you don't deserve to.

I have a great idea! In Michigan the max welfare is 5 yrs. If someone takes 5 years then their retirement age goes up to 70. If you take 1 year of welfare your retirement age would be 66.

In all honesty I only spend about 15 or so hours a week in my office at the business. I do most of my work from my home office now. My Office manager takes care of the day to day minutiae. I get called in to fix the stuff she can't handle.

Right. ANd you have a Lamborghini and a private plane and are married to a supermodel... boring.

I've already told you I drive a Jeep Cherokee and have a Ford F150 and that my wife is gorgeous

But that doesn't change the fact that I do not work anywhere near 40 hours a week anymore.

I put the time in up front for the pay off later. Unlike you I didn't whine and complain about working 16 hours a day for the first 4 or 5 years after I opened my business I just did it

A business is nothing but a set of systems. My wife and I set up all these systems in our first couple years and trained everyone in them ourselves. We have policies and procedures for every aspect of the business from answering the phones to maintaining the equipment and everyone either follows them or they are let go. So now I have 2 people who know the systems really well and they monitor the employees for me and train new employees.

I just check in and spot check everything weekly

But you don't know anything about running a business so i don't expect you to understand

You better jump in your Yugo and head out or you might get shit canned again

Now that's something I know nothing about because I have never been fired from any job so at least you have that over me

You have none whatsoever

Single people working for MW don't need food stamps. If you're stupid enough to have kids while you're making MW then you should have to work another job to feed them

I've already told you I drive a Jeep Cherokee and have a Ford F150 and that my wife is gorgeous

But that doesn't change the fact that I do not work anywhere near 40 hours a week anymore.

yeah, whatever guy. The internet is a wonderful thing for malignant narcissists. You can live out all your fantasies without anyone being able to contradict you. Whatever, I'm done with you.

yeah, whatever guy. The internet is a wonderful thing for malignant narcissists. You can live out all your fantasies without anyone being able to contradict you. Whatever, I'm done with you.
Yeah you better go and spend your boss's money so you can feel like a big shot

Forum List

Back