🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

A bit more of your merciful god.

You insist there is a message from your gods written on my heart.
I am offering a verse that Paul wrote to the Romans, which included people who believed in many Gods--or no God. He noted that God's ways are written on our hearts, meaning within us. It is part of who we are as humans. There is no need for you to agree with Paul. In fact, I "insist" you make up your own mind. ;)

Why predict? Seek and find.
Seek and find what?

Most of humanity has come and gone before the invention of the Christian gods. Would anyone suggest all those lives were lessened in either value or meaning because they came and went before Christianity? If not, then pretty clearly human existence and the value / meaning of that existence is independent of your gods and everyone else's gods.

A deeper dive into English and Modern Western culture? If you wish to read the Bible critically, learn the original languages--or at least read commentaries of those who were working off the original languages.
Yeah how many people here are fluent in ancient Hebrew and Aramaic?

Are you?

An Evangelical Christian has incentive to proselytize because he's thinking of your eternal situation. The atheist has no such incentive, so why the hard-core evangelizing from them? What do they gain?
No he's thinking of his own salvation and doing what he is told he as to do to get it.

And like I said I don;t know anyone who has had an ashiest knock on his door to try to convince them to be atheists.

Why is it ok for religious people to tell their views to people but it's not OK for atheists?

I am offering a verse that Paul wrote to the Romans, which included people who believed in many Gods--or no God. He noted that God's ways are written on our hearts, meaning within us. It is part of who we are as humans. There is no need for you to agree with Paul. In fact, I "insist" you make up your own mind. ;)
The claim that someone named Paul wrote ''God's ways are written on our hearts'' is presumed to be true and unassailable? Other than someone having a predisposition or compelling need to believe that, why should anyone but a Christian believer accept it as true?

'Seek and find' is better written as ''question and challenge''. Oddly, religions don't want questioning and challenges, they want unquestioning conformance and ''belief''.

Your bias shows best with that statement. For example, is it your position that we all believe that a donkey talked? That a flood covered the entire planet?

Why don't we cut right to the quick and say that if you don't already believe the bible is the "word of a god" there is nothing in the bible that proves that it is.

If a person could read the bible with absolutely no exposure to Judaism, Christianity or any other major religion then I don't think they would be able to take it as the word of some god but rather a collection of fables and a lot of plagiarism from other schools of thought

Now in this society that is almost impossible to do because everyone is exposed to it whether their families are religious or not.

For thousands of years government (power) and religion were intertwined. Ever wonder why religion got the blame for the sword? Perhaps look at the political aspects of wars and conflicts.

you have that backwards -

1647444058679.png

the threat to democracy and self determination has alway been the first casualty of organized religion - as those that would claim the u s constitution is based on a desert religion.

No he's thinking of his own salvation and doing what he is told he as to do to get it.

And like I said I don;t know anyone who has had an ashiest knock on his door to try to convince them to be atheists.

Why is it ok for religious people to tell their views to people but it's not OK for atheists?
It's perfectly okay, but it would be nice if they were honest about their intentions and acknowledge that they have a problem with people holding beliefs they don't like. You KNOW why Evangelical Christians knock on your door, they're concerned for your eternal situation, but there's no such incentive for an atheist to, as the OP has stated, hold thousands of debates on the subject. Again, what does the atheist gain?

Most of humanity has come and gone before the invention of the Christian gods. Would anyone suggest all those lives were lessened in either value or meaning because they came and went before Christianity? If not, then pretty clearly human existence and the value / meaning of that existence is independent of your gods and everyone else's gods.
Life is of greatest value, whether it was lived before any religion, before science, before a democratic government. Whether a person has a religion or no religion, human life has meaning/value. Period. Of course that is independent of belief in God! Who is arguing that it is not?

Look, my husband chose to live independently of God, and has always said even if there were undeniable proof of God he would still want to live independently of him. He wants to live this life knowing the only person he has ever depended upon is himself and his choices.

I believe God honors such personal decisions. Do you? Or do you believe God is some tyrant ready to strike people down at whim?

Yeah how many people here are fluent in ancient Hebrew and Aramaic?

Are you?
No. I know/depend on those who are. I also look for independent translations. I've been doing this for years, decades now. Why? Because in places, the modern English version of the Bible--when the English is taken literally--to me seemed like a jumble that made little sense. I highly recommend the original languages and the study of Biblical cultures and histories.

The accounts are of God in midst of His people (at that time); and where we might also find Him/His ways in our midst today. Too many people think of the Bible as a personal letter to them today.

Indeed, there are areas we can relate to those people, those times and discover much is still the same for us. But not everything in the Bible is about us.

The claim that someone named Paul wrote ''God's ways are written on our hearts''
What we know is that those words are attributed to Paul. Whether you believe that or not is immaterial. Do those words have a point? If your answer is, "No" then move on.

Some football plays hold great meaning for my husband. They are nothing to me, so I move on. To basketball.

'Seek and find' is better written as ''question and challenge''. Oddly, religions don't want questioning and challenges, they want unquestioning conformance and ''belief''.
Questioning and challenging can be done sitting down. For people who are more interested in action, I recommend seeking. You will find.

What is your purpose for questioning and challenging? What do you seek to gain from it?

Why don't we cut right to the quick and say that if you don't already believe the bible is the "word of a god" there is nothing in the bible that proves that it is.
Even if you believe the Bible, there is nothing that "proves" or provides evidence that it is the Word of God. If you are looking for proof, you will not find it. That is like searching for dinosaurs in a beehive.

What we have in the Bible is testimony from those who have either experienced or believed in God. They wrote out a way of life, that can either be followed or discarded. All that is gold does not glitter, and the Bible (for some) contains golden threads that guide us in our choices, decisions and paths through life.

The version of "God kills babies and floods a planet" offers no insights or instructions to anyone. It is useless, it is worthless. It is like a gold miner returning to town with a wheelbarrow of dirt, leaving the gold behind.

Life is of greatest value, whether it was lived before any religion, before science, before a democratic government. Whether a person has a religion or no religion, human life has meaning/value. Period. Of course that is independent of belief in God! Who is arguing that it is not?

Look, my husband chose to live independently of God, and has always said even if there were undeniable proof of God he would still want to live independently of him. He wants to live this life knowing the only person he has ever depended upon is himself and his choices.

I believe God honors such personal decisions. Do you? Or do you believe God is some tyrant ready to strike people down at whim?
The Bible is clear about "belief" and consequences for the heathen. And, according to the Bible, the gods are very quick to ruthlessly slaughter masses of people on a whim - being a disappointment to them. The slaughters committed by the Christian gods are, you know, biblical.

If a person could read the bible with absolutely no exposure to Judaism, Christianity or any other major religion then I don't think they would be able to take it as the word of some god but rather a collection of fables and a lot of plagiarism from other schools of thought
From someone who has studied myths, fables, folklore, etc., if it is "plagiarism" someone did a terrible job at plagiarizing. Bet we can find most schools of thought in the Bible, just as we can find most schools of thought in fables, myths, and folklore. Humanity shares common experiences, so I find it astonishing you seem to expect the Bible to be something isolated and unrepeated.

Even if you believe the Bible, there is nothing that "proves" or provides evidence that it is the Word of God. If you are looking for proof, you will not find it. That is like searching for dinosaurs in a beehive.

What we have in the Bible is testimony from those who have either experienced or believed in God. They wrote out a way of life, that can either be followed or discarded. All that is gold does not glitter, and the Bible (for some) contains golden threads that guide us in our choices, decisions and paths through life.

The version of "God kills babies and floods a planet" offers no insights or instructions to anyone. It is useless, it is worthless. It is like a gold miner returning to town with a wheelbarrow of dirt, leaving the gold behind.
"the Bible is testimony from those who have either experienced or believed in God"

Not unlike the testimony of those who claim to have been abducted by aliens, those who encountered Bigfoot.

2,000 years ago, those tales would have been accepted by a population that was 90% illiterate and raised on a diet of fear and superstition.

The Bible is clear about "belief" and consequences for the heathen. And, according to the Bible, the gods are very quick to ruthlessly slaughter masses of people on a whim - being a disappointment to them. The slaughters committed by the Christian gods are, you know, biblical.
And here is the ultimate circle back to the English/Modern Western Culture literally interpreting the Bible. I repeat: It pays to do the research on the history/culture/intent of the original author(s) and what they wished to teach their original audience. That is who they were speaking to...not you.

Questioning and challenging can be done sitting down. For people who are more interested in action, I recommend seeking. You will find.

What is your purpose for questioning and challenging? What do you seek to gain from it?
In part. I seek to gain an acknowledgement that we can live our es free from ancient fears and superstitions, that we are the ones responsible for how we live our lives and also, to understand the dangers in allowing religious extremists to force fundamentalist Christianity into the school system.

Forum List

Back