A case for term limits

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
As we all know the president is restricted by term limits. Question is why not congress? Most of the real power and money resides with them yet they have no limits placed upon them beyond running again. And what protection does that provide when they continually get reelected DESPITE ethics violations and other aggregious activities.

I am soooo down for that. I think that people do not really follow Congressional elections.. They just vote on their side, IMO. Which keeps the "ethic violators" and what-have-you in office

We already have term limits – they’re called elections.

That one disapproves of how the voters utilize these term limits is not justification for taking from them their right to be represented by whomever they wish, for however long they wish.

That one disapproves of how the voters utilize these term limits is not justification for taking from them their right to be represented by whomever they wish, for however long they wish.

On the contrary. I should not be subjected to the whims of an unethical c9ngressional rep because HIS/her people are too stupid to vote out someone who doesn't represent a person of high character.

These assholes get rich off the backs of American voters. Some people bitch about the rich fleecing America when YOUR OWN ELECTED LEADERS are the ones driving the country down.

On the contrary. I should not be subjected to the whims of an unethical c9ngressional rep because HIS/her people are too stupid to vote out someone who doesn't represent a person of high character.

These assholes get rich off the backs of American voters. Some people bitch about the rich fleecing America when YOUR OWN ELECTED LEADERS are the ones driving the country down.

Couple of reasons.

First people in congress don't have the same sort of sweeping powers the President has.

Secondly..it takes ALOT LONGER to learn how congress functions..then it does being President.

I'd be more in favor of getting rid of Gerrymandering.

Couple of reasons.

First people in congress don't have the same sort of sweeping powers the President has.

Secondly..it takes ALOT LONGER to learn how congress functions..then it does being President.

I'd be more in favor of getting rid of Gerrymandering.

So make the limits longer. They are supposed to represent us but too manyof them become eentrenched and are more worried about their next election than the business at hand. It's like they live in a vacuum. Take immigration for instance. It desperately needs to be addressed but if its not done in the next few months it wont get done at all because they will all be in campaign mode AGAIN. We usually get one good year of legislating and then its all posturing for elections.

being in congress should not be a lifetime career. It should be a sacrifice for your country for a few years, they should not leave congress as multi millionaires with a huge govt pension and free medical care.

two 6 year terms for the senate and three 2 year terms for the house. no retirement benefits. Then they would actually be motivated to do whats right for the country, not to make themselves rich.

Congress would be much better off without clowns like Pelosi, Reid, McConnell, and McCain. anyone disagree?

term limits limit the choices that voters can make.

It is not leader of the free world we are talking here.

They are positions that are designed to represent a select group of Americans and NOT one with sweeping powers like the predisent has.

Having senators and reps beoing forcefully replaced subverts the will of the people.

being in congress should not be a lifetime career.why becuase you say so? It should be a sacrifice for you country for a few years, they should not leave congress as multi millionaires with a huge govt pension and free medical care.

two 6 year terms for the senate and three 2 year terms for the house. no retirement benefits. Then they would actually be motivated to do whats right for the country, not to make themselves rich.

Congress would be much better off without clowns like Pelosi, Reid, McConnell, and McCain. anyone disagree?

The peoples choices should not be held back because you dont like what another state chose for themselves

Everyone always wants other people's representative to be term-limited, but they keep electing their own representative.

If you don't live in the district - you should have zero say in who they can or cannot elect to represent them.

MHO

term limits limit the choices that voters can make.

It is not leader of the free world we are talking here.

They are positions that are designed to represent a select group of Americans and NOT one with sweeping powers like the predisent has.

Having senators and reps beoing forcefully replaced subverts the will of the people.

so you think Strom Thurman and Bill Byrd were serving the country in their 90s when they hardly knew their names?

being in congress should not be a lifetime career.why becuase you say so? It should be a sacrifice for you country for a few years, they should not leave congress as multi millionaires with a huge govt pension and free medical care.

The peoples choices should not be held back because you dont like what another state chose for themselves

well thats your opinion, the polls say that most americans, 65% in the last one that I saw, want term limits for congress.

well thats your opinion, the polls say that most americans, 65% in the last one that I saw, want term limits for congress.

and go ahead and try for it and the American people willl fully discuss it and it will die as an idea before you can pass it

Everyone always wants other people's representative to be term-limited, but they keep electing their own representative.

If you don't live in the district - you should have zero say in who they can or cannot elect to represent them.

MHO

Except that someone from YOUR district has influence over the laws in MY district. So excuse me if I say IT IS ENTIRELY MY BUSINESS

you dont get to choose someone elses rep.

The people in that district get to deside

yes, and thats why we have lifetime corrupt representatives and senators, because everyone wants their rep to have more power than anyone elses rep.

why not give them all equal power and do away with the seniority system that spends billions of our money on pork?

When they realise they will not be able to vote in the person THEY already like because of the law they will hate the law.

Unexperienced representation will be much easier for the monied interests to buy off and thwart.

MHO

Except that someone from YOUR district has influence over the laws in MY district. So excuse me if I say IT IS ENTIRELY MY BUSINESS

then term limit your own guy

You dont get to pick who other people vote for.

This would weaken both houses and make them full of people with no idea whats going down

and go ahead and try for it and the American people willl fully discuss it and it will die as an idea before you can pass it

you sure about that? why do you want more Thurman's and Byrd's.

Forum List

Back