A Certain Kind of Poor Folk

You mean you be living off YOUR money, money that YOU set aside via your social security?

Not so.

"According to the institute’s data, a two-earner couple receiving an average wage — $44,600 per spouse in 2012 dollars — and turning 65 in 2010 would have paid $722,000 into Social Security and Medicare and can be expected to take out $966,000 in benefits. So, this couple will be paid about one-third more in benefits than they paid in taxes.

If a similar couple had retired in 1980, they would have gotten back almost three times what they put in. And if they had retired in 1960, they would have gotten back more than eight times what they paid in. The bigger discrepancies common decades ago can be traced in part to the fact that some of these individuals’ working lives came before Social Security taxes were collected beginning in 1937.

Some types of families did much better than average. A couple with only one spouse working (and receiving the same average wage) would have paid in $361,000 if they turned 65 in 2010, but can expect to get back $854,000 — more than double what they paid in. In 1980, this same 65-year-old couple would have received five times more than what they paid in, while in 1960, such a couple would have ended up with 14 times what they put in.

Such findings suggest that, even allowing for inflation and investment gains, many seniors will receive much more in benefits than what they paid in.
According to this calculation, past and current generations will pay $71.3 trillion in payroll taxes but will receive $93.4 trillion in benefits. Adjusting for past and future transfers from the federal Treasury, the difference between "paid-in" and "paid-out" works out to $21.6 trillion.

the exhortation that today’s generations are just getting what they are due based on their forced past tax payments is incorrect. ‘We’ are to get much more under current Social Security laws — to the tune of $21.6 trillion — than we’ll pay into the system. The excess benefits are a ‘return’ on past and current generations’ taxes of $71.3 trillion — and quite a handsome return it is!"
PolitiFact | Medicare and Social Security: What you paid compared with what you get

It is the rich, the ones cursed up and down by the Liberal folk, who will not get back as much.

You really should stop believing government propaganda.

I have a suggestion: ask me when you need the truth.

SSI is/was a non-optional investment. Or a government run protection racket depending on how you want to look at it. Is there something wrong with a small profit on a longterm investment that might not even counter the effects of inflation much less equal actual voluntary investments? What about all the people who don't live long enough to withdraw a dime of what they put in?

"...the exhortation that today’s generations are just getting what they are due based on their forced past tax payments is incorrect

Wrong.

Pleeeeezzze.....focus like a laser.

The post to which I responded said " YOUR money, money that YOU set aside"

Did I or did I not prove that this is not the case?

If you have some other issue to discuss re: Social Security, please state it as such.

The question was asked: does the welfare system increase or decrease poverty.

Seems post #177 answered that question definitively: the Left's poverty scam not only maintains poverty for recipients, now called clients, but increases poverty by making profitable the behavior that causes it.

So the issue is closed.....

...or...

...'speak now or forever hold your piece.'

Is it compassion to give a man with a broken leg a crutch? Doesn't that make them more comfortable and encourages never walking again?

Don't be stupid

Here's what you said. Is it compassion to create poverty by making ppl comfortable in it. You ARE talking about welfare right? Welfare is encouraging, even creating poverty?

Or are you saying something completely different than the quote?

Yep. I have said and will continue to say that welfare encourages, even creates poverty.

And I have gone into some detail to back up my rationale for the statement. And I will point to the roughly 50% or so of Americans who are now receiving some sort of federal government benefit as the evidence.

But there is a big difference between encouraging and creating poverty and 'keeping people in poverty' which was your phrase that I took exception to. Nobody is forced or required to be poor via government or social mandate. But if you lose those government benefits when you become more affluent, a whole lot of folks aren't willing to risk their food stamps, subsidized housing, cash, Medicaid, free phones, free child care, etc. etc. etc. They become comfortable in dependency and no longer try to dig themselves out.

And their children see the parent enjoying life on the couch with all the free stuff, and he or she may be less motivated to do the hard work to educate himself/herself or acquire marketable skills that would pay good wages. The local gang provides protection and a feeling of self worth without doing all the hard stuff. It looks real good to the young girl who can get all that free stuff just by allowing herself to get pregnant and have a kid or two or ten so that the government will support it/them and her for decades.

We have tried the Great Society method now for almost 50 years now at a cost of, by some estimates, $16 trillion to date which coincidentally is about the amount of the National Debt. We have seen our schools decline, a breakdown in the traditional American family, an increase in government to the point nobody really knows what the money actually goes for any more. And the poor are still with us.

I think it might be the compassionate way to look at whether what we do hurts more than it helps and figure out how to do it better.

The poor will always be with us. Nothing will ever change that and if you think snatching "entitlements" will create this bastion where there Is no poverty (you will never SAY that, you simply "suggest" it) you are plainly stupid.

Your opinion is fine, but you presented it as fact. That's why I asked for proof and NOW you respond with "this is my rationale" instead of the PROOF, which I thought we were talking about.

Here's what you said. Is it compassion to create poverty by making ppl comfortable in it. You ARE talking about welfare right? Welfare is encouraging, even creating poverty?

Or are you saying something completely different than the quote?

Yep. I have said and will continue to say that welfare encourages, even creates poverty.

And I have gone into some detail to back up my rationale for the statement. And I will point to the roughly 50% or so of Americans who are now receiving some sort of federal government benefit as the evidence.

But there is a big difference between encouraging and creating poverty and 'keeping people in poverty' which was your phrase that I took exception to. Nobody is forced or required to be poor via government or social mandate. But if you lose those government benefits when you become more affluent, a whole lot of folks aren't willing to risk their food stamps, subsidized housing, cash, Medicaid, free phones, free child care, etc. etc. etc. They become comfortable in dependency and no longer try to dig themselves out.

And their children see the parent enjoying life on the couch with all the free stuff, and he or she may be less motivated to do the hard work to educate himself/herself or acquire marketable skills that would pay good wages. The local gang provides protection and a feeling of self worth without doing all the hard stuff. It looks real good to the young girl who can get all that free stuff just by allowing herself to get pregnant and have a kid or two or ten so that the government will support it/them and her for decades.

We have tried the Great Society method now for almost 50 years now at a cost of, by some estimates, $16 trillion to date which coincidentally is about the amount of the National Debt. We have seen our schools decline, a breakdown in the traditional American family, an increase in government to the point nobody really knows what the money actually goes for any more. And the poor are still with us.

I think it might be the compassionate way to look at whether what we do hurts more than it helps and figure out how to do it better.

The poor will always be with us. Nothing will ever change that and if you think snatching "entitlements" will create this bastion where there Is no poverty (you will never SAY that, you simply "suggest" it) you are plainly stupid.

Your opinion is fine, but you presented it as fact. That's why I asked for proof and NOW you respond with "this is my rationale" instead of the PROOF, which I thought we were talking about.

You have asked for proof of statements that I have not said. But then there is still the reading comprehension problem isn't there. . . .

And meanwhile you refuse to address any question directed at you. Oh well. Life goes on.

How about you prove what you said...with anything.

Here ya go. Just a very few of many sources you can use to read up on the problem. If you need help with any of the big words, let me know:

More Proof We Can't Stop Poverty By Making It More Comfortable | Cato Institute

July 9, 2011--
During his Twitter Townhall on Wednesday, President Obama admitted that government welfare has created dependency. He noted:

I think we should acknowledge that some welfare programs in the past were not well designed and in some cases did encourage dependency.… As somebody who worked in low-income neighborhoods, I’ve seen it where people weren’t encouraged to work, weren’t encouraged to upgrade their skills, were just getting a check, and over time their motivation started to diminish. And I think even if you’re progressive you’ve got to acknowledge that some of these things have not been well designed.
President Obama Admits Welfare Encourages Dependency | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation

Welfare Reform: What Needs to Be Done

More Welfare, More Poverty | Cato Institute

Does Welfare Diminish Poverty? : The Freeman : Foundation for Economic Education

Working Works in State-Based Welfare Reform [Mackinac Center]

I see what you're doing. I'll go link by link.

1. No program...No nothing will EVER EVER EVER END POVERTY. So to pretend the goal of welfare is to END poverty is a lie
2. Obama...yes, that CAN happen but you have yet to show where that DOES happen on a large enough scale as to end welfare completely. The bath is dirty so you want to throw out the baby too
3. Welfare reform! Cool!
4. More Welfare, More Poverty - Opinion piece that again suggests that Welfare programs are meant to END poverty. Not the case see #1
5. Does Welfare Dimish Poverty - See #1
6. Working Works in State-Based Welfare Reform - Great I agree. Why you posted this I don't understand tho

1. No program...No nothing will EVER EVER EVER END POVERTY. So to pretend the goal of welfare is to END poverty is a lie
2. Obama...yes, that CAN happen but you have yet to show where that DOES happen on a large enough scale as to end welfare completely. The bath is dirty so you want to throw out the baby too
3. Welfare reform! Cool!
4. More Welfare, More Poverty - Opinion piece that again suggests that Welfare programs are meant to END poverty. Not the case see #1
6. Working Works in State-Based Welfare Reform - Great I agree. Why you posted this I don't understand tho

Yup. Just as I thought, you didn't read any of them and you have no rebuttal. But just to keep you busy, how about you PROVE your statements in #1 through #6? That's fair isn't it? You've asked me to PROVE my point of view. So you PROVE yours. And if you say you don't have to because I didn't PROVE anything, I can also say that you're FULL of it if you can't prove that I'm wrong about what I have said. I've given you a number of links. Prove them wrong if you can.

And no, I'm still not going to bite when you continue to infer or put words in my mouth that I have not said.

How does a society encourage people not to be poor?

No answer?

Of course not.

Sorry. I know it's difficult to believe, but I do have a life and am not watching this thread with baited breath hoping you'll post something so I can respond.

But since you have ignored all my arguments, I will answer you with Benjamin Franklin's words:

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."--Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1766

Name the countries where making it harder on the poor has decreased poverty.

We provide for example free public education to the poor. How has that made them poorer?

Be specific.

3. Welfare reform! Cool!

Yup. Just as I thought, you didn't read any of them and you have no rebuttal. But just to keep you busy, how about you PROVE your statements in #1 through #6? That's fair isn't it? You've asked me to PROVE my point of view. So you PROVE yours. And if you say you don't have to because I didn't PROVE anything, I can also say that you're FULL of it if you can't prove that I'm wrong about what I have said. I've given you a number of links. Prove them wrong if you can.

And no, I'm still not going to bite when you continue to infer or put words in my mouth that I have not said.

No I asked you to prove that welfare encourages poverty, which you haven't done. The links mean jack since the goal of Welfare programs is not to end poverty.

Your non answer will prove you don't believe that but you keep posting links that suggest it...?

Do you think the goal of welfare is to end poverty? If you do, you're a fool

3. Welfare reform! Cool!

It may not be possible to end poverty. I can't say for certain one way or the other. However, the goal has to be to reduce poverty as much as possible doesn't it? It certainly doesn't make sense to increase poverty.

So what's wrong with trying to come up with a better way to decrease poverty? It really just feels like you are knee-jerking because someone spoke against the way welfare is working (or not working.) Is there something inherently wrong with trying to examine a system to see if there might be a better way to accomplish it's goals?

Any way you say it, less poverty is good. If we could end poverty, great. If not, then let's try to find the most effective way to reduce it as far as possible. The point is these programs don't encourage people to start earning on their own. If we are going to have government welfare programs that needs to be a key part of them; an incentive to start working and earning on your own.

3. Welfare reform! Cool!

No I asked you to prove that welfare encourages poverty, which you haven't done. The links mean jack since the goal of Welfare programs is not to end poverty.

Your non answer will prove you don't believe that but you keep posting links that suggest it...?

Do you think the goal of welfare is to end poverty? If you do, you're a fool

I have provided you a number of links of opinions of credentialed authorities who agree with me in what I have said and back it up with facts and figures.

Meanwhile you have refused to answer a single question put to you. And you have religiously avoided any argument put to you or any rationale offered or any authority cited.

You have provided not one link of a credentialed authority providing a single opinion that my sources are wrong. Further you are dishonestly changing the thesis to something you think you can more easily attack. That, sir, is what a straw man is.

Now until you hold up your end of the debate and provide some reasoned rebuttal of what I have actually said--not what you WANT me to have said--and use some credible sources to back up your opinion, I will ask to to accept the fact that you are a really poor debater and let's just move on.

I will not respond to you further until you
a) Provide your own rationale for why my opinion is wrong
b) Provide some credible sources to back up your opinion
c) Answer the questions I have put to you.

And no, I won't go back and hunt those up again. I've done my part in the debate. Now you do yours.

You haven't asked me a question but I've asked you: Do you think the goal of welfare is to end poverty?

btw...I've read your dumb little links that's why I know what they say otherwise...I wouldnt

I will not respond to you further until you
a) Provide your own rationale for why my opinion is wrong
b) Provide some credible sources to back up your opinion
c) Answer the questions I have put to you.

And no, I won't go back and hunt those up again. I've done my part in the debate. Now you do yours.

1.Your opinion means JACK. I deal with facts and asked you to provide anything FACTUAL
2.I cant provide links that shows welfare doesn't encourage poverty want to know why? You cant measure encouragement. That's why you couldn't do it but keep presenting it as fact
3. Again, am I missing where you asked me a question here?

The question was asked: does the welfare system increase or decrease poverty.

Seems post #177 answered that question definitively: the Left's poverty scam not only maintains poverty for recipients, now called clients, but increases poverty by making profitable the behavior that causes it.

So the issue is closed.....

...or...

...'speak now or forever hold your piece.'

Does the welfare system increase or decrease poverty? The answer has been obvious for at least the last 50 years on the reservations in the Dakotas and elsewhere. Do you want to see the absolute absence of upward mobility and complete desperation? Then get out of your ivory towers and take a trip to one of the HELL HOLES that you (the left) have created.

The ONLY Native Americans to have beaten the system of drugs, violence and poverty are those that have absolutely and 100% RENOUNCED any government assistance and moved out of their tribe-provided home. Luckily, there are many here in Oklahoma because we do not have reservations like they do elsewhere. Technically, the entire state is a reservation.

Even the tribes are scared to death to renounce government assistance. Those that have are providing for their members. Those that wait on the white man's handouts are kept at the lowest levels of poverty.

You think you're helping by giving money and benefits. Ever been to a tribal health clinic? Absolutely PACKED and the care is the absolute worst.

Welfare and all of these entitlements are like crack... and the result of both are the same. Good job!

3. Welfare reform! Cool!

It may not be possible to end poverty. I can't say for certain one way or the other. However, the goal has to be to reduce poverty as much as possible doesn't it? It certainly doesn't make sense to increase poverty.

So what's wrong with trying to come up with a better way to decrease poverty? It really just feels like you are knee-jerking because someone spoke against the way welfare is working (or not working.) Is there something inherently wrong with trying to examine a system to see if there might be a better way to accomplish it's goals?

Any way you say it, less poverty is good. If we could end poverty, great. If not, then let's try to find the most effective way to reduce it as far as possible. The point is these programs don't encourage people to start earning on their own. If we are going to have government welfare programs that needs to be a key part of them; an incentive to start working and earning on your own.

Bingo. And programs that encourage folks to stay eligible for poverty relief have obviously not lessened poverty among a large demographic of our society.

Jesus said the poor will always be with us, and I believe that. I and almost all of our closest friends started out 'poor'. We had very little and pretty much started out our adult lives from scratch. There was little or no government poverty relief available to us, nor did it ever occur to us that there should be. We all had educations and strong backs and went to work to build our lives and get ourselves out of poverty. And every single one of us did.

Before government programs, 'poverty' was a much more fluid and temporary fact of life for most Americans. People moved into and out of poverty much more consistently. As Benjamin Franklin said almost 250 years ago, he had observed in country after country that the more the government provides to the poor, the less incentive there is for the poor to provide for themselves. Thus more of them remain poor and there are ever more poor. But provide less to the poor, the more poor will do what they must to provide for themselves and become unpoor, and there will be fewer poor.

When young girls can be supported simply by getting pregnant and having kids out of wedlock, does it not follow that more young girls will choose that rather than the hard work of educating themselves and earning what they have? And does it not follow that the children they bear will be in poverty and grow up that way?

Thomas Sowell PhD (economist and historian) has done exhaustive research on the whole issue of poverty, racism, social breakdown, etc. and his books are real eye openers for those who want deeper research into this whole issue. Here is a really interesting interview with Dr. Sowell on how 'spreading the wealth around causes poverty."

Thomas Sowell: "Spreading Around Wealth Causes Poverty" | RealClearPolitics

Not so.

"According to the institute’s data, a two-earner couple receiving an average wage — $44,600 per spouse in 2012 dollars — and turning 65 in 2010 would have paid $722,000 into Social Security and Medicare and can be expected to take out $966,000 in benefits. So, this couple will be paid about one-third more in benefits than they paid in taxes.

If a similar couple had retired in 1980, they would have gotten back almost three times what they put in. And if they had retired in 1960, they would have gotten back more than eight times what they paid in. The bigger discrepancies common decades ago can be traced in part to the fact that some of these individuals’ working lives came before Social Security taxes were collected beginning in 1937.

Some types of families did much better than average. A couple with only one spouse working (and receiving the same average wage) would have paid in $361,000 if they turned 65 in 2010, but can expect to get back $854,000 — more than double what they paid in. In 1980, this same 65-year-old couple would have received five times more than what they paid in, while in 1960, such a couple would have ended up with 14 times what they put in.

Such findings suggest that, even allowing for inflation and investment gains, many seniors will receive much more in benefits than what they paid in.
According to this calculation, past and current generations will pay $71.3 trillion in payroll taxes but will receive $93.4 trillion in benefits. Adjusting for past and future transfers from the federal Treasury, the difference between "paid-in" and "paid-out" works out to $21.6 trillion.

the exhortation that today’s generations are just getting what they are due based on their forced past tax payments is incorrect. ‘We’ are to get much more under current Social Security laws — to the tune of $21.6 trillion — than we’ll pay into the system. The excess benefits are a ‘return’ on past and current generations’ taxes of $71.3 trillion — and quite a handsome return it is!"
PolitiFact | Medicare and Social Security: What you paid compared with what you get

It is the rich, the ones cursed up and down by the Liberal folk, who will not get back as much.

You really should stop believing government propaganda.

I have a suggestion: ask me when you need the truth.

SSI is/was a non-optional investment. Or a government run protection racket depending on how you want to look at it. Is there something wrong with a small profit on a longterm investment that might not even counter the effects of inflation much less equal actual voluntary investments? What about all the people who don't live long enough to withdraw a dime of what they put in?

"...the exhortation that today’s generations are just getting what they are due based on their forced past tax payments is incorrect

Wrong.

If you have some other issue to discuss re: Social Security, please state it as such.

I responded to your post and your statement: "...the exhortation that today’s generations are just getting what they are due based on their forced past tax payments is incorrect

And, no you haven't proven that statement incorrect.
Some may get more than they paid "...the exhortation that today’s generations are just getting what they are due based on their forced past tax payments is incorrect

Some may get more than they paid in out, some may get little or no return for their money. In any case you have not shown where anyone is getting any more than they are due based on their past payments.

Wrong.

I responded to your post and your statement: "...the exhortation that today’s generations are just getting what they are due based on their forced past tax payments is incorrect

And, no you haven't proven that statement incorrect.
Some may get more than they paid "...the exhortation that today’s generations are just getting what they are due based on their forced past tax payments is incorrect

Some may get more than they paid in out, some may get little or no return for their money. In any case you have not shown where anyone is getting any more than they are due based on their past payments.

Perhaps you should sit with a dictionary, and read very, very slowly.

You wrote:
"Some may get more than they paid in out, some may get little or no return for their money. In any case you have not shown where anyone is getting any more than they are due based on their past payments."

I provided information that clearly suggests the opposite.

Let's review:

1. "... will be paid about one-third more in benefits than they paid in taxes."

Do you understand the word "more"?

and...

2. "... gotten back almost three times what they put in."

Do you understand how "more" fits here, as well?

and....

3. "... gotten back more than eight times what they paid in."

and ...

4. "... paid in $361,000 if they turned 65 in 2010, but can expect to get back $854,000 — more than double what they paid in."

and...

5. "....14 times what they put in."

and....

6. ".... many seniors will receive much more in benefits than what they paid in."

and....

7. "... past and current generations will pay $71.3 trillion in payroll taxes but will receive $93.4 trillion in benefits."

and...

8. "‘We’ are to get much more under current Social Security laws — to the tune of $21.6 trillion — than we’ll pay into the system."

And so, according to the items above, I am correct in stating that payments by individuals are less than them will get back
You, of course, are in error, as was friend editec, to whom I responded.

It takes a certain kind of government school grad to view data and claim the opposite.
Raise your paw.

Perhaps the problem is the blue font.
If you use some other hue you may be proven correct.
Not.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back