A Culture of Intolerance

It has become quite obvious to me that in the years after I left school, that there is little tolerance of certain political views that students hold in school. Especially on hot button issues like abortion. As this 17 year old high school student found out, it's not okay to freely express your worldviews in school. If you don't believe government and politics have any influence in the classroom, you're in for a rude awakening. There is a culture of intolerance that is nurtured in the minds of our children that cannot be allowed to continue. The school should be a place where ideas and views are accepted no matter what they are. The First Amendment applies to everyone, not just to those who hold like views.

BRANFORD, Conn. (WTNH)– Life-sized replicas of fetuses are too much for lunchtime at Branford High School. A student leader of the school’s pro-life club says the principal banned her from using the models and she is fighting that.

Seventeen-year-old Samantha is a senior at Branford High School and she is learning a harsh lesson in education policy after trying to set up a pro-life table during lunch at Branford High.

“When we asked our principal at our school if we can have this set up during lunch and have an opportunity for kids to come over and take a look at our display, he said no,” said Samantha Bailey-Loomis.

Samantha is the founder of the students for life club. Their table is complete with blown-up images of fetuses and real- life sized fetus models that look just like the real thing and she says that doesn’t sit well with her principal.

“He tells us that this topic in particular is too controversial to be talked about in public school,” said Bailey-Loomis.

Life-sized fetus causes cafeteria controversy at Connecticut school | WWLP

Do they allow Planned Parenthood to set up a table?
If not you have no point. The girl should leave her crusade for after school. When I was in high school Pro Life people walked up and down across the street with large signs of aborted fetuses. It was horrible. What is it with some Pro Life people?

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

Baby murder isn't a pretty sight. People who are pro baby murder should see what their beliefs are upholding...

No one argues that you do, or do not know what the law states. What we argue is whether or not it is, or is not, Constitutional.

Rounding up Japanese was the law of the land during World War II, was it legal?

You seem to very content with laws that violate the Constitution. That's what's wrong with you.
Nothing is wrong with me. I deal in reality, not Ayn Rand Fantasyland.

Does reality include insulting others viewpoints?
When they're a dumb as yours it does. On the other hand I'm being very nice to my little Racist Communist. Like gets back like little friend.

No one argues that you do, or do not know what the law states. What we argue is whether or not it is, or is not, Constitutional.

You seem to very content with laws that violate the Constitution. That's what's wrong with you.

Does reality include insulting others viewpoints?

Absofuckinlutely.

"Freely" does not mean "whenever I feel like it."

The principal "felt like" the display would be controversial, despite not proving that assertion to be true. If that school receives government funds, they are obligated by the same constitutional constraints. Government shall not make laws (or rules in this case) that infringe on free speech.

Schools can limit speech all they want. You have no clue what you are talking to. They can punish students for what they say, and they can limit what students can bring to school.
You really have no concept of what the first amendment protects you from.

Baby murder isn't a pretty sight. People who are pro baby murder should see what their beliefs are upholding...
Speak of the Devil. Pro-Choice people know what actually happens, and we still approve. I go even farther, I approve of post-birth abortions. It would be irrational if I didn't.

There is a lot wrong with you. You have an obvious selective interpretation of the First Amendment when it pertains to undesirable expressions of speech that contradict your stated worldviews. We call that hypocrisy.

He is actually right, while you have no clue what you are talking about.

Unlike you, I know what the law is, and the concepts behind it.

Of course you do. Such a display of arrogance can only mean your argument is dead in the water. Unlike you, I know that some laws are unjust, and need to be amended or repealed. Such as school rules that restrict harmless speech including expressions of a sociopolitical viewpoint.
The school found it disruptive. That's their call. They could have told her to put on a sweater, put on a longer skirt, cover her bra straps, or stop singing Jesus Loves Me This I Know during class. She is a student, they are the authorities. Like it or not, that's how it works in the real world.

The Principal did, believe it or not, the Principal does not constitute "the school." The kid didn't even get to set up the display, actually. So the principal had no way of knowing it would be disruptive or not.

One other thing, she wasn't planning to do any of this in a classroom. Students would have been free to peruse the display or ignore it as they deemed fit. So once again, how would it have been disruptive? So, the school was out of line for stopping the student from having that display. Your premise is flawed, once again.

Last edited:

There is a lot wrong with you. You have an obvious selective interpretation of the First Amendment when it pertains to undesirable expressions of speech that contradict your stated worldviews. We call that hypocrisy.
It's all about a time and a place, but you ignore the restrictions on Free Speech, and there are many, at your peril.

It has become quite obvious to me that in the years after I left school, that there is little tolerance of certain political views that students hold in school. Especially on hot button issues like abortion. As this 17 year old high school student found out, it's not okay to freely express your worldviews in school. If you don't believe government and politics have any influence in the classroom, you're in for a rude awakening. There is a culture of intolerance that is nurtured in the minds of our children that cannot be allowed to continue. The school should be a place where ideas and views are accepted no matter what they are. The First Amendment applies to everyone, not just to those who hold like views.

Life-sized fetus causes cafeteria controversy at Connecticut school | WWLP

Do they allow Planned Parenthood to set up a table?

If not you have no point. The girl should leave her crusade for after school. When I was in high school Pro Life people walked up and down across the street with large signs of aborted fetuses. It was horrible. What is it with some Pro Life people?

Innocent minors are pro baby murder?
You are an idiot.

When they're a dumb as yours it does. On the other hand I'm being very nice to my little Racist Communist. Like gets back like little friend.

How childish.
Not at all. Some things are simply stupid but where you can be nice nice is a nice thing to be. You should have learned that by now?

So, calling him a "Racist Communist" is being "nice"? Reality is not your strong suit, contrary to what you say.

It's all about a time and a place, but you ignore the restrictions on Free Speech, and there are many, at your peril.

What? So you never did answer my question. What if the girl had wanted to set up a pro-abortion display? Would you say the same thing? That it's disruptive?

Forum List

Back