A little reality for leftist Gavin Newsome and his ban on gas powered cars.

Suuuuure you do. 72 days to recharge a Tesla with current standard solar modules.

Got a link to that? What size panel, a small one plugged into the cig lighter?

Do you understand batterie banks, power stored for use when needed? One doesn't charge any electric car nor run a home with out proper sizing and a system. Very easy to get panels, inverter (square wave OK at 1/2 the price of a sine wave) charge controller, batteries. Size it right you can charge your electric car no different than if you were on grid. Proper designed size one can charge their car every day. Want to charge two, go bigger.

Satellites, ISS all use solar and seems to work fine and long time. Solar homes have all the power they need, why? Proper design and BATTERY BANK size.

Yes, in SPACE you don't have dust constantly clogging the system. Also, their Solar modules are orders of magnitude better, and more expensive. The module you get costs a few hundred bucks. The module that NASA uses costs a MILLION dollars. Now, which one do you think is going to work better? I have a solar system that I built 30 odd years ago now. What is sad is the readily available modules are no better than what I built three decades ago.

It cost more to build and maintain windgenerators than they CAN EVER put out in a lifetime. Then there is the disposal problem. Old rotors are causing hell at landfills. Now I like wind power in certain apps but don't fool yourself, there is a loss.
None of this is true.
[/QUOTE]

None is true??? Show me, go for it. I been into wind and solar just short of 25 years (more actually, I installed a wind turbine in Chas SC in 88 but not counting that). I've installed it, I know what it can do and it's limitations.

There is no loss? Heard of friction, loss in solid state components, loss in wiring, loss in battery charges? Take solar, no component is 100% efficient. Perpetual motion has been disproved LONG ago, think man. It takes power to make power and there is a loss. It's physics. By the time one counts the loss of power from panels or turbine, down to the batteries you're losing power.

Here. I'll provide a link unlike you.

While most of a turbine can be recycled or find a second life on another wind farm, researchers estimate the U.S. will have more than 720,000 tons of blade material to dispose of over the next 20 years, a figure that doesn't include newer, taller higher-capacity versions.

There aren't many options to recycle or trash turbine blades, and what options do exist are expensive, partly because the U.S. wind industry is so young. It's a waste problem that runs counter to what the industry is held up to be: a perfect solution for environmentalists looking to combat climate change, an attractive investment for companies such as Budweiser and Hormel Foods, and a job creator across the Midwest and Great Plains.

Wind Turbine Blades Can’t Be Recycled, So They’re Piling Up in Landfills
Companies are searching for ways to deal with the tens of thousands of blades that have reached the end of their lives.

Image result for wind turbine efficiency

The theoretical maximum efficiency of a turbine is ~59%, also known as the Betz Limit. Most turbines extract ~50% of the energy from the wind that passes through the rotor area. The capacity factor of a wind turbine is its average power output divided by its maximum power capability.

Wind Energy Factsheet | Center for Sustainable Systems

59% efficiency plus a disposal problem and the conventional energy to produce them? OK, give me some links how wind power is the answer.

Suuuuure you do. 72 days to recharge a Tesla with current standard solar modules.

Do you understand batterie banks, power stored for use when needed? One doesn't charge any electric car nor run a home with out proper sizing and a system. Very easy to get panels, inverter (square wave OK at 1/2 the price of a sine wave) charge controller, batteries. Size it right you can charge your electric car no different than if you were on grid. Proper designed size one can charge their car every day. Want to charge two, go bigger.

Satellites, ISS all use solar and seems to work fine and long time. Solar homes have all the power they need, why? Proper design and BATTERY BANK size.

Yes, in SPACE you don't have dust constantly clogging the system. Also, their Solar modules are orders of magnitude better, and more expensive. The module you get costs a few hundred bucks. The module that NASA uses costs a MILLION dollars. Now, which one do you think is going to work better? I have a solar system that I built 30 odd years ago now. What is sad is the readily available modules are no better than what I built three decades ago.

Rain washes the dust off. Sure NASA pays more. However if you have a problem in your system you don't have to fly into space, just climb up and replace it.

When you say "module" what are you referring to? Panel, component etc?

Noooo, solar panels have evolved and I hope they continue to do so!

Now where is that link that it takes solar 72 hrs to charge a Tesla? Waiting.

Rain washes the dust off. Sure NASA pays more. However if you have a problem in your system you don't have to fly into space, just climb up and replace it.

No, it doesn't. When I built my system I was getting 18%ish efficiency (extremely high for the era). Now it has dropped to about 9%. The modules are dying. It's a normal part of the life cycle. The one way that solar modules have evolved is they have gotten lighter, and there is some interesting development towards pliable panels. But their efficiency has NOT increased in any measurable way.

Here is a scaled up system for a LOT of cars. It's quite large. Scale it down to your average home sized system.

I would say you have no clue what our electric car rules are.

How are they recharged.
Not by the electric power grid.

You know what Californians used for light before candles?

Electricity.

California already have a serious problem keeping the lights on today. They have rolling blackouts. Where is the additional power to come from?
Gas powered generators or power wall batteries.
So your plan is to use gas powered generators for electricity to save the planet from the affects of burning fossil fuels.

Libtard logic right there.

Are you using a laptop, a mouse with batteries too? A rechargeable electric razor (if you are old enough to shave, that is); do you drive a car (if you are old enough to drive) with a lead acid battery?
How is any of your moronic diatribe relevant to the conversation?

If you all act now, you can get in on the ground floor on Dogmaphobe's exciting new venture - uber rickshaws - starting up in a city near you summer of '22.

The number of bird deaths from windmills is minuscule. This is not a serious argument.

It cost more to build and maintain windgenerators than they CAN EVER put out in a lifetime. Then there is the disposal problem. Old rotors are causing hell at landfills. Now I like wind power in certain apps but don't fool yourself, there is a loss.
None of this is true.

Then show us your reliable source and working link.

No, it doesn't. When I built my system I was getting 18%ish efficiency (extremely high for the era). Now it has dropped to about 9%. The modules are dying. It's a normal part of the life cycle. The one way that solar modules have evolved is they have gotten lighter, and there is some interesting development towards pliable panels. But their efficiency has NOT increased in any measurable way.

Why is it so inefficient the 30 years? Panels are lucky to make 30 anyway.

Thanks, interesting article I will read it all later, only scanned it.

So you think a small solar system, all new components wouldn't effectively charge a Tesla? Prob cost more than grid power but it is green, discounting manufacturing and disposal.

I do feel their are advances in panels besides weight and flex.

Today, most active solar panels average 18 percent efficiency, meaning they capture 18 percent of the energy to which they are exposed.

But new advances have dramatically increased that number.

Several companies such as Solar City, Panasonic, and SunPower have achieved solar panels with between 22-23 percent efficiency, a staggering 25-27 percent efficiency increase from standard panels.

Thats the Democratic party for you...

He could have made this announcement after the election--the deadline is 15 fucking years away!!!!

But no, he puts it out there right before the election and now Joe gets saddled with this radical lifestyle change and has to talk about it.

If you all act now, you can get in on the ground floor on Dogmaphobe's exciting new venture - uber rickshaws - starting up in a city near you summer of '22.

As usual you are years behind reality; uber rickshaws carry passengers from pier 39 to the Giants Stadium and the Warriors Arena, and back again.

Why is it so inefficient the 30 years? Panels are lucky to make 30 anyway.

Thanks, interesting article I will read it all later, only scanned it.

So you think a small solar system, all new components wouldn't effectively charge a Tesla? Prob cost more than grid power but it is green, discounting manufacturing and disposal.

I do feel their are advances in panels besides weight and flex.

Today, most active solar panels average 18 percent efficiency, meaning they capture 18 percent of the energy to which they are exposed.

But new advances have dramatically increased that number.

Several companies such as Solar City, Panasonic, and SunPower have achieved solar panels with between 22-23 percent efficiency, a staggering 25-27 percent efficiency increase from standard panels.

I didn't say it wouldn't do it. I said it would take 72 hours. With my older system it would take a week and a half. A friend has a Tesla S so we actually tested it. I calculated that it would take 10 and a half days, it ended up taking 11 days, 36 minutes to get a full charge from a 5% level.

As usual you are years behind reality; uber rickshaws carry passengers from pier 39 to the Giants Stadium and the Warriors Arena, and back again.
You look like a sturdy young lad with the sort of intellect that makes him perfect for a life of manual labor.

Hired!!

The only uber rickshaws I know of are in New Delhi.

Well that proves you are ignorant.

1601771163881.png

1601771186627.png

1601771311827.png

Let's look at the science....

View attachment 395769
Amnesty says most manufacturing of lithium-ion batteries takes place in China, South Korea and Japan, where electricity generation remains dependent on coal and other fossil fuels. Mar 27, 2019

Not sure why supporters of electric and hybrid cars consider these cars to be a good thing with the need to burn fossil fuels. Is it because it's being primarily done elsewhere and not the US? It makes no sense that such a push is being made by Newsom as if this is the "way forward". Can anyone please explain how this is considered to be a solution? I expect within 5 years, due to the rapid advancement of self-learning AI's, investors in AI will dwarf the current backing for battery powered cars, even solar powered with it's own weather-related limitations. None of us can predict the future, even 5 years from now it's hard to say what info will be revealed with the pace of self-learning computers being developed to help humans maintain life on Earth. Let's just hope mentally unstable types aren't involved with any of the particulars. Yikes. I'm not a doom and gloom type at all, but watching a few of these "human looking" computers on various TED Talks answer questions like "Would it ever be a goal to kill humans" it's a bit concerning. One "female" AI struggled answering...nice. Anyway, it's an amazing time in which we live to witness!

Well that proves you are ignorant.

View attachment 396718

View attachment 396719

View attachment 396721

Where does it say uber on them?

Here is a scaled up system for a LOT of cars. It's quite large. Scale it down to your average home sized system.

Shit, I answered this and the post isn't there, I dunno!

Yes, they do have a lifecycle and 30 years is pretty long.

Shit, I answered this and the post isn't there, I dunno!

Yes, they do have a lifecycle and 30 years is pretty long.

I maintain them pretty well. So have been able to stretch them out a bit. But now there's nothing I can do but replace them.

Thats the Democratic party for you...

He could have made this announcement after the election--the deadline is 15 fucking years away!!!!

But no, he puts it out there right before the election and now Joe gets saddled with this radical lifestyle change and has to talk about it.
Gotta hide your real agenda until after people vote, huh?

I would say you have no clue what our electric car rules are.

How are they recharged.
Not by the electric power grid.

You know what Californians used for light before candles?

Electricity.

California already have a serious problem keeping the lights on today. They have rolling blackouts. Where is the additional power to come from?
Gas powered generators or power wall batteries.
So your plan is to use gas powered generators for electricity to save the planet from the affects of burning fossil fuels.

Are you using a laptop, a mouse with batteries too? A rechargeable electric razor (if you are old enough to shave, that is); do you drive a car (if you are old enough to drive) with a lead acid battery?
So, because fossil fuels hurt YOUR feelings, HE has to give up all his rechargeable devices.

Forum List

Back