A new term for our era. Pseudo-Erudite

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
It used to be that people who were well read were called Erudite. That for those of you who haven't happened across this word before, meant having or showing great knowledge. The word was used for people who read a great deal, and who were able to learn from their reading. Today, we don't bother with that reading nonsense. We may watch a movie, we may watch a TV show, or we may just read a reference in a article on our favorite website. We trust those who are writing have read the book, or poem, and are reporting it accurately.

Hillary in her book says that the lesson of 1984 by George Orwell is that we must learn to trust our leaders. Hillary: The lesson of "1984" is trust your leaders - Hot Air

That is actually, the exact opposite lesson from the book. But Hillary isn't alone is completely missing the point of a writer. For a long time Conservatives ran about quoting the poem by Frost that Good Fences make Good Neighbors. It is actually the opposite message in the poem. The mending wall was a waste of time, and led only to sorrow of those who worked on it over and over again.

I'm waiting for someone to quote Franz Kafka. Joseph K. who was constantly told he was guilty, but no one would tell him what he was guilty of. I'm waiting for someone to tell us that this shows the Government knows who the bad people are, and we need to trust them.

Hillary is not alone, in quoting things not only out of context, but completely at odds with the actual intent. She is merely the most recent example. People do it to try and sound intelligent. People do it to try and sound like they've actually read the book. They quote Democracy in America, while it is obvious they've never opened the book much less read it.

I suppose pretending that you've read the books and quoting books you've never even opened is better than quoting Bugs Bunny. You at least think you sound intellligent.

Good fences do not make good neighbors. Read the damned poem first idiots.

1984 was not a lesson to trust our leaders. Listen to the audiobook if you can't find time to actually sit and read.

If you have to quote something to make your point, then leave it with Gilligan's Island if that is the limit of your experience. You won't sound intelligent but you were not going to sound smart anyway.

My eyes didn't go bad from watching TV it was from reading prolifically....My Grandmother owned a bookstore and I was able to get books for birthdays and Christmas...or was it from being an idiot savant?
I have a library of about 1,000 books....

If reading were as popular as it once was, and academia had respect and value; people like Bernie Sanders wouldn't receive more than 20 votes.

I don't as much as I used to, but I do a tonne of research online and try to continually learn about history.

It used to be that people who were well read were called Erudite. That for those of you who haven't happened across this word before, meant having or showing great knowledge. The word was used for people who read a great deal, and who were able to learn from their reading. Today, we don't bother with that reading nonsense. We may watch a movie, we may watch a TV show, or we may just read a reference in a article on our favorite website. We trust those who are writing have read the book, or poem, and are reporting it accurately.

Hillary in her book says that the lesson of 1984 by George Orwell is that we must learn to trust our leaders. Hillary: The lesson of "1984" is trust your leaders - Hot Air

That is actually, the exact opposite lesson from the book. But Hillary isn't alone is completely missing the point of a writer. For a long time Conservatives ran about quoting the poem by Frost that Good Fences make Good Neighbors. It is actually the opposite message in the poem. The mending wall was a waste of time, and led only to sorrow of those who worked on it over and over again.

I'm waiting for someone to quote Franz Kafka. Joseph K. who was constantly told he was guilty, but no one would tell him what he was guilty of. I'm waiting for someone to tell us that this shows the Government knows who the bad people are, and we need to trust them.

Hillary is not alone, in quoting things not only out of context, but completely at odds with the actual intent. She is merely the most recent example. People do it to try and sound intelligent. People do it to try and sound like they've actually read the book. They quote Democracy in America, while it is obvious they've never opened the book much less read it.

I suppose pretending that you've read the books and quoting books you've never even opened is better than quoting Bugs Bunny. You at least think you sound intellligent.

1984 was not a lesson to trust our leaders. Listen to the audiobook if you can't find time to actually sit and read.

If you have to quote something to make your point, then leave it with Gilligan's Island if that is the limit of your experience. You won't sound intelligent but you were not going to sound smart anyway.

The term is pseudo intellectual, and it has been around for a long, long time.

• Banned

The term is pseudo intellectual, and it has been around for a long, long time.

I thought of that, but I didn't think it fit. I decided to bring back a word that is falling out of use.

Forum List

Back