A question what laws or regulations did the government not screw up that you can think of?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
I was just thinking of this while reading another thread, some that comes to mind is outlawing Lemon 714 ( I never seen it since)

Seat belt laws: the cops said they wouldn't pull over anyone not using them at the time(but they do) so you have a high percentage of everyone using them because they don't want to get pulled over for a seat belt violation if they are driving drunk or high.

What else worked?

Most laws work as intended but often the actual purpose is much different than what they tell us. The greatest example of this is our drug war that did not do a damned thing about drugs but worked gangbusters on building the militarized police state conservatives always wanted.

I was just thinking of this while reading another thread, some that comes to mind is outlawing Lemon 714 ( I never seen it since)

Seat belt laws: the cops said they wouldn't pull over anyone not using them at the time(but they do) so you have a high percentage of everyone using them because they don't want to get pulled over for a seat belt violation if they are driving drunk or high.

What else worked?

My standard go-to:

See these?
GettyImages_50674351_helix.jpg

th-mccombe-1967-uk1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

first_pic.jpg
Ed.jpg

The effects of Thalidomide. Some way to be born huh? Thousands of babies were born this way from the effects of this drug prescribed to address morning sickness in pregnant women. Thousands died in infancy or were stillborn because of it.

Thousands, that is, were born in the UK and in Canada and in Germany and Australia and elsewhere. But not here.

Why weren't they born here?

Because Frances Kelsey at the FDA put up the stop sign, that's why.

Here she is getting a medal for it.

kelsey.jpg

Drug company whined and whined. Kelsey said no. Guess who was right.

Most laws work as intended but often the actual purpose is much different than what they tell us. The greatest example of this is our drug war that did not do a damned thing about drugs but worked gangbusters on building the militarized police state conservatives always wanted.
They are very effective at exposing lies like the one you just told.

I forgot about that one, your big on it

Tens of thousands of saved lives does tend to be 'big'. A perfect example of where unfettered capitalism can go without the fettering.

No not really, I can name numerous ones that backfired or created more loopholes.

Uh huh, the war on drugs is not a big thing with voters anymore so what are you guys going to do now scare people into trading liberty for an illusion of security? Probably immigrants.

No not really, I can name numerous ones that backfired or created more loopholes.

Those "unintended consequences" are almost always by design. It's what you get when you let lobbyists write laws.

Those "unintended consequences" are almost always by design. It's what you get when you let lobbyists write laws.

Interesting you really think that? Like with high taxes on smoking equaled lower revenue

I just thought the left was stupid

Interesting you really think that? Like with high taxes on smoking equaled lower revenue

Who do you think writes our laws? Certainly not the people in congress. Excise taxes are popular with both parties because they are easy to pass. Poor people do not hire lobbyists to protest such moves. Shame that real representation in congress involves writing big checks to shady K street whores.

Uh huh, the war on drugs is not a big thing with voters anymore so what are you guys going to do now scare people into trading liberty for an illusion of security? Probably immigrants.
So, you're going to stick with that lie? Good for you.

high taxes on smoking was social engineering...the Govt decided they did not want you smoking anymore, thus they used the tax code to discourage you from doing so

What else worked?

Seat belt laws are terrible, just like helmet laws. It is not the government's job to keep us safe from ourselves.

What else worked?

Miles per gallon regulation . We got so screwed in the oil embargo because we wasted gasoline . Cars got like 15 miles to the gallon.

Today are cars are so efficient that it’s helped us become energy independent.

Forum List

Back