A Tale of Two Storms. $60 Billion in Fed Aid Within 10 Days

There's millions of dollars that are earmarked for States that weren't even affected by Sandy, Vast...the majority of that money going to buy the votes of Republican Senators in States like Miss., Ala. and Texas. Trust me, I'm not saying some members of the GOP are just as guilty of this as Democrats. I hold them in even more contempt than their counterparts because they are "supposed" to be the fiscally responsible party and they are not!!!

You really couldn't find pork?

Examples of the billions slated to go other than those effected in New Jersey and Staten Island:

$28 billion for future "disaster-mitigation" projects.
$100 million for the repair of all 265 Head Start centers around the country.
$8 million (+) to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments.
$150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska.
$2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in Washington, D.C.
$207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center.
$41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm's path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
$4 million for repairs at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
$1.1 million to repair national cemeteries.

Finally, let's say everything you mentioned was in fact "pork", which is clearly not the case, but let's say it was.

Discounting, of course, the mitigation of future disasters, which clearly can not be included in any consideration of what is pork in this case.

That would be a total of:

$513 million dollars, out of 60 billion dollars or less than 1% of the whole, which is a hell of a lot less than the pork that was included in the Katrina relief aid, which was passed by the Republican-controlled Congress of the time in 10 days.

Of course, the damage from Katrina was in the South, a Republican stronghold, so they had no problem at all with any of THAT pork.

Check your math....

That is all.

If the assholes would stop adding bacon to the order, maybe, just maybe something would get done.

Then again, I'm prolly asking way too much.

Add what was stopping the House from drawing up a counter-proposal that took out the 1/2 billion dollars of what they considered "Pork", and then sending it back to the Senate?

That would still be over 60 Billion in much-needed aid. I'm quite sure a compromise could have been reached in a few days over such a small percentage.

But it never happened. And even when a proposal for just 9 Billion dollars in aid with NO pork was proposed to cover the initial relief funding...

67 Republicans voted "NO" on even that!

How do you explain that?

If the assholes would stop adding bacon to the order, maybe, just maybe something would get done.

Then again, I'm prolly asking way too much.

Add what was stopping the House from drawing up a counter-proposal that took out the 1/2 billion dollars of what they considered "Pork", and then sending it back to the Senate?

That would still be over 60 Billion in much-needed aid. I'm quite sure a compromise could have been reached in a few days over such a small percentage.

But it never happened. And even when a proposal for just 9 Billion dollars in aid with NO pork was proposed to cover the initial relief funding...

67 Republicans voted "NO" on even that!

How do you explain that?

I will say it again....

$28 billion for future "disaster-mitigation" projects!!!!

.5 billion (the total of the supposed "Pork" mentioned in the post I was responding to) is in fact less than 1% of 60 billion.
Math is correct.

$28 billion for future "disaster-mitigation" projects...

Stop lying dude!
Yeah clearly setting money aside to pay for disasters BEFORE they happen is a monumental stupidity.

That has ZERO to do with getting the people back on their feet.

Shit, why stop at that dollar amount?
Why not $100 billion??

Last edited:
Its unfortunate that there could not be an extra few trillion in the sandy "relief" bill to cover future calamities from the results of global warming.............lol

Evidently a lot of people believe this money grows on the magic money trees they have in the back of the white house..

Hey, what's a few million

No wonder we are in the trouble we are in..

0E8B5148-E778-4179-8B1E-85918E2D1969-3137-0000053026145B7D_zpse776b97f.jpg

$28 billion for future "disaster-mitigation" projects...

Stop lying dude!
Yeah clearly setting money aside to pay for disasters BEFORE they happen is a monumental stupidity.

Why not $100 billion??

Why not zero dollars for anything ever? In fact, why not charge people when a disaster hits them? That's deficit reduction, makes good fiscal sense.

Why not $100 billion??

Why not zero dollars for anything ever? In fact, why not charge people when a disaster hits them? That's deficit reduction, makes good fiscal sense.

Fine by me, :eusa_clap:
why is it the RESONSIBLITY of the people who live in country to bail them out, they have a Government for that..If Christy didn't set enough money aside not the peoples fault who don't LIVE THERE

Last edited:
Lets make sure to include tens of billions set aside for Haiti and their future catastrophes................apparently our 51st state

Bush was a leader, love him or hate him, he could lead. Something sorely lacking in the current administration.

Please provide evidence that Bush had to whip Congress up to get them to approve a bill. The fact is that Bush didn't have anything to do with it.

You know, I take it back, it does have something to do with the President. The Republicans refuse to help American people because they hate this President. What other explanation is there to hold up disaster relief for over two months?

the democratic congress tossed in billioins in pork and so the house refused to vote on it.

Seems the democratic congress was more interested in pet projects than they were about the victims of Sandy.

Bush was a leader, love him or hate him, he could lead. Something sorely lacking in the current administration.

Please provide evidence that Bush had to whip Congress up to get them to approve a bill. The fact is that Bush didn't have anything to do with it.

You know, I take it back, it does have something to do with the President. The Republicans refuse to help American people because they hate this President. What other explanation is there to hold up disaster relief for over two months?

the democratic congress tossed in billioins in pork and so the house refused to vote on it.

Seems the democratic congress was more interested in pet projects than they were about the victims of Sandy.

they OR their sheep don't care..this way they can blame Republicans, AGAIN

Here's some non disaster items in the Katrina bill:

* $33.2 million for eight projects in the state of Senate Energy and Water Appropriations Subcommittee Ranking Member Harry Reid (D-Nev.), including: $25 million for rural Nevada; $1.5 million for Truckee Meadows; and $725,000 for Tahoe Regional Planning

• $16.8 million for seven projects in the state of Senate Energy and Water Appropriations Subcommittee member Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.), including: $2.5 million for the Greenbrier River Basin; $325,000 for the Parkersburg and Vienna Riverfront Park; and $150,000 for Island Creek at Logan

• $12.9 million for 11 projects in the state of Senate Energy and Water Appropriations Subcommittee Chairman Pete Domenici (R-N.M.), including: $5 million for central New Mexico; $250,000 for Santa Fe; and $180,000 for the Southwest Valley, Albuquerque.

http://lehighvalleyclanculariusintr...13/01/sandy-relief-bill-full-of-pork.html?m=1

Here's some non disaster items in the Katrina bill:

* $33.2 million for eight projects in the state of Senate Energy and Water Appropriations Subcommittee Ranking Member Harry Reid (D-Nev.), including: $25 million for rural Nevada; $1.5 million for Truckee Meadows; and $725,000 for Tahoe Regional Planning

• $16.8 million for seven projects in the state of Senate Energy and Water Appropriations Subcommittee member Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.), including: $2.5 million for the Greenbrier River Basin; $325,000 for the Parkersburg and Vienna Riverfront Park; and $150,000 for Island Creek at Logan

• $12.9 million for 11 projects in the state of Senate Energy and Water Appropriations Subcommittee Chairman Pete Domenici (R-N.M.), including: $5 million for central New Mexico; $250,000 for Santa Fe; and $180,000 for the Southwest Valley, Albuquerque.

Lehigh Valley Clancularius Introspectives (LVCI): Sandy Relief Bill Full Of Pork?

yeah, lovely isn't it..they see a disaster and they see taxpayers monies is all..screw the actual VICIMS

Last edited:

Forum List

Back