Adoption

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
It just came up on another thread that some African American social workers are opposed to interracial adoption. It was suggested they'd rather black children stay in foster homes than be adopted by white couples.

I was wondering - without prejudice aforethought - how African American USMB members feel about the issue.

Of course, it is an interesting question for any of our members of any 'race.' The question can be imagined for any combination of would-be parents and children up for adoption.

Face it... In this moment of history race still matters. Things are better and getting better still with every passing decade, but at this moment, race still matters.

That said, I'd rather live the life of a black kid being raised by white adoptive parents who cared than be any shade of Monkey spawn raised with indifference or cruelty.

Face it... In this moment of history race still matters. Things are better and getting better still with every passing decade, but at this moment, race still matters. .

Ok, but what exactly do you mean in regards to the question at hand?

Face it... In this moment of history race still matters. Things are better and getting better still with every passing decade, but at this moment, race still matters.

That said, I'd rather live the life of a black kid being raised by white adoptive parents who cared than be any shade of Monkey spawn raised with indifference or cruelty.

I don't believe things are getting better. I don't believe they will, either.

Why the pessimism?

AVG-JOE answered your question quite well I thought.

I see no problem with any interracial adoption.

Should the social workers in question really be working in that field if they are motivated by race rather than placing children with good families?

Face it... In this moment of history race still matters. Things are better and getting better still with every passing decade, but at this moment, race still matters. .

You're opener doesn't exactly pose a direct question Bro'.

I'm perfectly fine with interracial adoption, but not for it's own sake. Like I said... parents who give a shit and who take seriously the responsibility of parenting this child is what's important, not varying shades of kaki.

There should be a preference for Black kids to go to Black families first. If one cannot be located then a family of another ethnicity would still be better than foster care. If the world were truly post racial I would say it does not matter but taking this board as microcosm of society I can see we are far from that.

There should be a preference for Black kids to go to Black families first. If one cannot be located then a family of another ethnicity would still be better than foster care. If the world were truly post racial I would say it does not matter but taking this board as microcosm of society I can see we are far from that.

I agree with you on the first part, but it would still matter post-racial society or not. It is inherent that people are tribal and seek to belong, and the closest one can get to people like themselves, the more comfortable they are. It's perfectly natural.

Cultural and ethnic differences are interesting, but everyone desires an anchor, an emotional and spiritual connection to their roots.

You're [sic] opener doesn't exactly pose a direct question Bro'.

Alright, then how about this one: Should the social workers in question really be working in that field if they are motivated by race rather than placing children with good families?

I see no problem with any interracial adoption.

Should the social workers in question really be working in that field if they are motivated by race rather than placing children with good families?

:eusa_eh: Your thread thesis is judging the social workers?

Just a follow-on to the general topic.

If you wanted a question, one may have just come up. Would you agree with those who say preference should be given to placing a black child with a black family? Seems like someone here has made that claim.

I agree with you on the first part, but it would still matter post-racial society or not. It is inherent that people are tribal and seek to belong, and the closest one can get to people like themselves, the more comfortable they are.

So, a baby with a long nose should be placed with adoptive parents who have long noses? Red-haired children with redhead parents? A fat baby with fat parents? How far does such superficiality extend?

I agree with you on the first part, but it would still matter post-racial society or not. It is inherent that people are tribal and seek to belong, and the closest one can get to people like themselves, the more comfortable they are. It's perfectly natural.

Cultural and ethnic differences are interesting, but everyone desires an anchor, an emotional and spiritual connection to their roots.

I get your point but that would available in a post racial society or at least the one I envision. People of different ethnicities aware of their roots, and cultures but still having respect for each other. In this way a white couple would be able to teach a black child their true history and culture.

Seriously? :disbelief:

Even just 100 years ago, skin of birth MATTERED! Especially in the Western World.

700 years ago even the white folk were owned by their good Christian king. :eek:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM0MVuEmFGc]Ever Changing Times - YouTube[/ame]

I agree with you on the first part, but it would still matter post-racial society or not. It is inherent that people are tribal and seek to belong, and the closest one can get to people like themselves, the more comfortable they are.

So, a baby with a long nose should be placed with adoptive parents who have long noses? Red-haired children with redhead parents? A fat baby with fat parents? How far does such superficiality extend?

There is nothing superficial about genetic roots. Roots are our foundation, they help us understand something of ourselves.

I do not know a single person who hasn't ruminated a good deal of their life about where they came from and their family lineage.

It just came up on another thread that some African American social workers are opposed to interracial adoption. It was suggested they'd rather black children stay in foster homes than be adopted by white couples.

I was wondering - without prejudice aforethought - how African American USMB members feel about the issue.

Of course, it is an interesting question for any of our members of any 'race.' The question can be imagined for any combination of would-be parents and children up for adoption.

I will never forget. Years ago, there was a little black girl here that was being fostered by a white couple. They decided to see if they could adopt the little girl. Outrage ensued. She was removed from their home and place back with here mother. Within a year she was dead, killed by her biological mother even though the daycare, the neighbors and her own relatives had reported her to Childhood Services. After that, there were moves to make it both so that minorities could be adopted by whites and so that foster children would have their ties to their parents cut faster so they could be adopted. Now I have a friend who has fostered to adopt a little black boy and a little white girl. They've adopted both children now.

I think they should go to a good home, no matter the race.
It's not quite the same, but one of my brothers who is adopted, is half Native American. My mother adopted him in 74. Of course it wasn't as obvious, but compared to my other adopted brother and me, along with my dad's children he was the only one who was blond. None of us noticed nor cared. Plus I think he is my mom's favorite.
Race should never matter.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

Forum List

Back