Advanced degrees

Does having an advanced degree make you intelligent?

• Total voters
A degree makes you better educated. Having the ability to attain the degree is generally prima facie evidence of having the intellectual ability to meet the requirements for that degree. It does not mean that people without degrees are not intelligent. I know people less educated than I am whose IQ is probably off the charts.

however, there are people who are simply uneducated...who hate education... and who view educated people with contempt. there are more than a few of those on this board. those people are just an embarrassment.

Inb4 rdean says that republicans don't value education.

When right wingers say scientists sit on their butts and don't contribute to society,

or you can have "too much" education,

or "a degree is just a piece of paper",

or believe "science" is a "faith",

or believe that the occult has some relevance to science,

or their leadership slashes funding for education,

or their leadership slashes funding for student loans,

then any normal, thinking person would come to the conclusion that "republicans don't value education". Besides, if Republicans DID value REAL education, wouldn't more than a measly 6% of scientists be Republican?

Do Bible colleges give advanced degrees in "Bible Memorization" and can you get a "BS" from a Bible college? I have much more interest in those question. Two questions "fraught with humor".

Last edited by a moderator:
The right constantly spews hate on higher education and science.

Hell they sometimes dont even like the real definition of words.

A degree makes you better educated. Having the ability to attain the degree is generally prima facie evidence of having the intellectual ability to meet the requirements for that degree. It does not mean that people without degrees are not intelligent. I know people less educated than I am whose IQ is probably off the charts.

however, there are people who are simply uneducated...who hate education... and who view educated people with contempt. there are more than a few of those on this board. those people are just an embarrassment.

Who does that?

I've known a few hicks that think it's not needed, but not a soul that veiwed anyone with education with contempt.

The right constantly spews hate on higher education and science.

Hell they sometimes dont even like the real definition of words.

You're such an idiot, truthdon'tmatter. You regurgitate bullshit from the left with absolutely no concept of how utterly ridiculous you show yourself to be. You are an embarrassment to liberals.

Mocking your use of 'definitions' is not about the definition, it's about you. And you're so dumb that you don't get it. :lol:

It is not the degree itself that makes one intelligent. A person can be intelligent and not even have a high school diploma depending on the situation. An advanced degree is only proof that someone undertook the endeavor to complete the coursework to get that degree.

Immie

Who does that?

I've known a few hicks that think it's not needed, but not a soul that veiwed anyone with education with contempt.

then you haven't been reading some of the posts on this board. :)

generally the word "elitist" is somewhere in there.

Who does that?

then you haven't been reading some of the posts on this board. :)

generally the word "elitist" is somewhere in there.

That's a typical response I would give someone that claims to know better b/c of an education.

Contempt for an arrogant person is not contempt of why they are arrogant.

It is not the degree itself that makes one intelligent. A person can be intelligent and not even have a high school diploma depending on the situation. An advanced degree is only proof that someone undertook the endeavor to complete the coursework to get that degree.

Immie

And I think that is, often, the problem.

Conservatives generally recognize that a degree is just a piece of paper... meaning that it does not make the holder better than someone who does not have it. Education, to conservatives generally, is not just about pieces of paper. It is much deeper than that.

The left often appear to think that anyone without a degree is stupid, or less valuable.

They think when we say 'it's just a piece of a paper' that we mean we have no respect for degrees. It does not mean that, it means that we view education as something more than a piece of paper.

Intelligence is the measurement of knowledge. Wisdom is the application of that knowledge. An advanced degree does mean that you are intelligent it does not tell you, however, that you know how to apply it.

Intelligence is not a measure of knowledge, it is a measure of the ability to learn. Thanks for proving that everyone who voted no was right.

Do you believe that having an Advanced degree makes you intelligent?

Yes. Learning is like lifting weights. The more you use your mind, the sharper you are.

It doesn't make someone automatically "smart" or more intelligent than someone without an education, but there is no denying that using your brain makes you smarter.

Do you believe it is possible to get an advanced degree without actually learning anything?

Intelligence is not a measure of knowledge, it is a measure of the ability to learn.

If only it was as simple as you say. Intelligence is the ability to learn, knowledge itself, specific knowledge, specific learning abilities, general learning abilities, more than that and less than that.

The word itself has 3+ distinct meanings, and within context those meanings propagate many more.

When the subject is of semantics it is useful to remember that words are not real things, just symbols that we hope represent real things. Words can't therefore define reality, but only aspire to mimic reality. The meaning of words is therefore that of an evolutionary path, not a static state.

Even a dictionary definition doesn't provide an authoritative decree as to what words mean. Dictionaries only provide a catalog of the myriad uses of words that are sufficiently common to warrant endorsement.

As a friend once said to me, words have the meanings we invest into them. And investing new meanings into old words is as common as coining new words.

Education, or exercising the mind, not only makes the mind healthier and stronger but it improves your intelligence (ability to learn) over the course of your lifespan, increases the intelligence of your offspring, helps stave off dementia and adds years to your life expectancy.

Google "neural pathway".

Do you believe that having an Advanced degree makes you intelligent?

Yes. Learning is like lifting weights. The more you use your mind, the sharper you are.

It doesn't make someone automatically "smart" or more intelligent than someone without an education, but there is no denying that using your brain makes you smarter.

Do you believe it is possible to get an advanced degree without actually learning anything?

no.

Book learning helps but it doesn't help to make you more intelligent and more rounded if you don't have life experience to go along with it.
It does not make you intelligent if you have book education but you do not have any common sense.
My Grandmother did not have education higher than 6th grade, but she was a very wise woman.

you're confusing things.... putting them all together to justify your thinking that somehow it doesn't matter if one is educated. yes, there are people who lack life skills but are highly educated. that has nothing to do with "intelligence". intelligence is the ability to learn and the ability to engage in certain types of thought processes.

i used to have a friend (he should rest in peace) who liked saying "common sense is just common". perhaps one might want to say intelligence differs from 'street smarts'... which is probably true.

and while your grandma may have been wise, i don't think you'd have asked her to talk about supreme court cases. (i say that not to insult grandma, whom i'm sure was wonderful but because there are people on this board who seem to confuse things like that)

Last edited:
The proper choice should be "maybe" or on occasion or ..... having worked with the overeducated and the so called undereducated, it is often hard to tell the difference -dependent on the person.

As for 'education' as it used today that gets us to another place in which the what becomes the question.

How in the heck did Svnet get banned before I could rep them????

"I wish I could have skipped college, I got to know some interesting people, but I can't say I learned anything. I probably would have learned it all anyway, just reading on my own." Saul Kripke

Intelligence is not a measure of knowledge, it is a measure of the ability to learn.

If only it was as simple as you say. Intelligence is the ability to learn, knowledge itself, specific knowledge, specific learning abilities, general learning abilities, more than that and less than that.

The word itself has 3+ distinct meanings, and within context those meanings propagate many more.

When the subject is of semantics it is useful to remember that words are not real things, just symbols that we hope represent real things. Words can't therefore define reality, but only aspire to mimic reality. The meaning of words is therefore that of an evolutionary path, not a static state.

Even a dictionary definition doesn't provide an authoritative decree as to what words mean. Dictionaries only provide a catalog of the myriad uses of words that are sufficiently common to warrant endorsement.

As a friend once said to me, words have the meanings we invest into them. And investing new meanings into old words is as common as coining new words.

Education, or exercising the mind, not only makes the mind healthier and stronger but it improves your intelligence (ability to learn) over the course of your lifespan, increases the intelligence of your offspring, helps stave off dementia and adds years to your life expectancy.

Google "neural pathway".

I never said it was simple, I just rejected the ridiculous assertion that intelligence is a measure of knowledge.

Immie

And I think that is, often, the problem.

Conservatives generally recognize that a degree is just a piece of paper... meaning that it does not make the holder better than someone who does not have it. Education, to conservatives generally, is not just about pieces of paper. It is much deeper than that.

The left often appear to think that anyone without a degree is stupid, or less valuable.

They think when we say 'it's just a piece of a paper' that we mean we have no respect for degrees. It does not mean that, it means that we view education as something more than a piece of paper.

This is fucking hilarious!!!!!!!!

Just seven posts after I wrote the following:

or "a degree is just a piece of paper",

CG wrote: Conservatives generally recognize that a degree is just a piece of paper.

And then she writes: The left often appear to think that anyone without a degree is stupid, or less valuable.

And yet, it's the left who fight the right constantly to get an education for everyone, for ALL Americans. It's not the left thinking those without eduction are stupid and less valuable, it's the right believing those WITH an education are "stupid and less valuable".

Come on now. The truth is RIGHT THERE! You can't spin it anymore.

Forum List

Back