airforce now forces you to swear to god

Prayers "in uniform" at formal military events is also common, but I'm sure the scum will try to block that and the constitutional rights of those in the military.
I find there to be a difference between listening to someone else pray and being made to affirm someone else's god before being allowed to re-enlist. Don't you see the difference?

So do democrats, just go to DU and see that in full effect.

Such a conundrum, you want to use your board-ally's service as a whip to beat up on people, but in your heart of hearts, you can't stand most other military people because of their politics, both real and alleged.

Nah...I don't like debating in a bubble. I will however take a gander at their boards as you suggest and see if there is anything like that old board of mine...I highly doubt it. Do they allow personal insults and bad language over there? Can you insult the current POTUS at DU? My old board allows it now, but they didn't when the president was a Republican. No CinC bashing was the rule and it was absolute.

Can you make your own signatures over at DU? Can't at my old board...you had to ask a mod to do it for you. Tagline too...couldn't change that yourself, had to request it of a mod.

DU only allows bashing of the current president for not being liberal enough, also with the previous president, you could be banned for supporting GWB.

Yet another atheist attack!

Once again, a tiny minority wishes to force their twisted beliefs on the majority.
Neither the Air Force nor the United States is a democracy; citizens' civil liberties are not determined by 'majority rule,' and the majority has no authority to determine who will or will not have his civil liberties.

The First Amendment is not 'twisted beliefs,' and nothing is being 'forced' on anyone.

And the First Amendment rights of those who believe must be protected also.
Let me ask you...are you talking about the First Amendment rights to believe in your religion? Or the First Amendment "rights" to make others affirm your religion?

To believ and express, as I have written four times now. No American can be forced to believe or NOT believe.

Atheist airman must swear so help me God or get out in November Air Force Times airforcetimes.com

Oh the title isnt a lie.

The Air Force used to allow airmen to omit the phrase “so help me God” if they so chose. But an Oct. 30, 2013, update to Air Force Instruction 36-2606, which spells out the active-duty oath of enlistment, dropped that option. Since that quiet update to the AFI, airmen have been required to swear an oath to a deity when they enlist or reenlist.

The idea that any branch requires you to swear an oath to god in order to fight for this nation is an insult to serving in the military since we have people serving of all faiths.

So don't join the Air Force if your little atheist 'performance' is more important to you. There are plenty of better men and women to take the place of anyone who thinks some political statement is more important than service.

So do democrats, just go to DU and see that in full effect.

Such a conundrum, you want to use your board-ally's service as a whip to beat up on people, but in your heart of hearts, you can't stand most other military people because of their politics, both real and alleged.

Nah...I don't like debating in a bubble. I will however take a gander at their boards as you suggest and see if there is anything like that old board of mine...I highly doubt it. Do they allow personal insults and bad language over there? Can you insult the current POTUS at DU? My old board allows it now, but they didn't when the president was a Republican. No CinC bashing was the rule and it was absolute.

Can you make your own signatures over at DU? Can't at my old board...you had to ask a mod to do it for you. Tagline too...couldn't change that yourself, had to request it of a mod.

DU only allows bashing of the current president for not being liberal enough, also with the previous president, you could be banned for supporting GWB.
You can be banned for just about anything at DU...I lasted about one hour. Same with Free Republic.

Atheist airman must swear so help me God or get out in November Air Force Times airforcetimes.com

Oh the title isnt a lie.

The Air Force used to allow airmen to omit the phrase “so help me God” if they so chose. But an Oct. 30, 2013, update to Air Force Instruction 36-2606, which spells out the active-duty oath of enlistment, dropped that option. Since that quiet update to the AFI, airmen have been required to swear an oath to a deity when they enlist or reenlist.

The idea that any branch requires you to swear an oath to god in order to fight for this nation is an insult to serving in the military since we have people serving of all faiths.

So don't join the Air Force if your little atheist 'performance' is more important to you. There are plenty of better men and women to take the place of anyone who thinks some political statement is more important than service.
You mean, like those people who think forcing others to swear by their god?

What if you believe in more than one god, plenty it religions have more than one. What if you fell out with your old god, do you have to take the oath again because the last one is no longer valid. I could survive saying the oath, but in my head I would be thinking I was speaking gibberish I don't believe in.

Yet another atheist attack!

Once again, a tiny minority wishes to force their twisted beliefs on the majority.

Why would anyone want an atheist to swear to a deity? Do you really think they're going to take that oath more or less seriously after forcibly introducing a deity? If someone forced you to swear an oath to the Tooth Fairy, are you going to magically feel more compelled to honor it?

Last edited:

And I'm sure you'll feel the same way when the Marines start requiring an oath to Ares. And the Army beings to require that you swear to Allah. And the Navy takes their oaths in the name of Ahura Mazda. Right?

As a Christian, a USAF Retired, and as a Citizen of this country who demands that all my rights that are protected by the Constitution, I say this requirement is just plain wrong.

No one should be forced to swear to or by a deity they don't believe in under any circumstances.

I am offended by the very idea that anyone would support this, let alone an American.

We are not Isis. We don't force people to worship "our" God.d

And I'm sure you'll feel the same way when the Marines start requiring an oath to Ares. And the Army beings to require that you swear to Allah. And the Navy takes their oaths in the name of Ahura Mazda. Right?
Dude...we swear to Neptune.....just attend any Shellback ceremony. :D

Oh, is that the tradition this country has had since its founding? Don't play stupid games.

As a Christian, a USAF Retired, and as a Citizen of this country who demands that all my rights that are protected by the Constitution, I say this requirement is just plain wrong.

No one should be forced to swear to or by a deity they don't believe in under any circumstances.

I am offended by the very idea that anyone would support this, let alone an American.

Taking this oath does NOT amount to "worship." You sound like one of those nuts who screams and tears their hair over "in God we trust" on the currency. Send the Drama Queen back to her chambers.

Oh, is that the tradition this country has had since its founding? Don't play stupid games.
Ah...traditions?

Like the slavery tradition?
Like the women as chattel tradition?
Like the kill all the Indians and take their land tradition?
Like the child labor tradition?
Like the fire upon unionists tradition?

Those traditions?

Taking this oath does NOT amount to "worship." You sound like one of those nuts who screams and tears their hair over "in God we trust" on the currency. Send the Drama Queen back to her chambers.

Then why make it MANDITORY?

Then why make it MANDITORY?

Do you stay up nights tossing and turning over what's printed on our currency, clown?

Ah...traditions?

Like the slavery tradition?
Like the women as chattel tradition?
Like the kill all the Indians and take their land tradition?
Like the child labor tradition?
Like the fire upon unionists tradition?

Those traditions?

Ah, taking an oath that includes a reference to this nation's Christian tradition (but does in no way require one to be a Christian or to "worship" or believe any particular religion) is EXACTLY the same as slavery! Sure, that makes sense!

You are an irrational fool trying and failing to make a point based on nothing but infantile emotionalism.

Oh the title isnt a lie.

I do agree with you. That oath should not be a requirement, even though I like it, but it should not be made mandatory to pledge it, or else. Why force an airman to lie.

Forum List

Back