Alabama should drop to 3

I agree there should be no polls until, at least, week 4.

But the only poll that really matters is not released until the 2nd half of the season.

The other polls are limited but not worthless. If a team does well (Top 10) and doesn't lose many players, it is not a hard sell that they will do well again.

Preseason polls are based on players lost, previous season's performance (weighed against players lost), coaches, and potential star players coming in.
The problem is if you start outside the top 10 preseason it’s almost impossible to make it into the top 4 by the end and you certainly don’t control your own destiny in that regard. You need a lot of teams ahead of you to lose for it to happen.

There are far too many Div 1 teams. 130 I think. How many of those have any shot at competing for a title? 20? Maybe 30? Break it up into 4-5 sub divisions and require that 80% of your games be played inside your division.
I think the answer lies outside of the NCAA, and I've read about rumblings as such. We all know the NCAA is a dirty, scanalous organization that rakes in money on the backs of free labor they don't deserve.

Major colleges need to leave the NCAA and start their own conferences.

There are far too many Div 1 teams. 130 I think. How many of those have any shot at competing for a title? 20? Maybe 30? Break it up into 4-5 sub divisions and require that 80% of your games be played inside your division.

The sad part is that I think your estimates are high as to how many teams actually have a shot. I think it would be under 20. In 8 years of picking 4 teams, we have only had 13 different teams in the playoffs. Only 6 teams have been in the playoffs more than a single year.

What special treatment? If a person who is involved in a given poll, thinks Alabama will be in the playoffs, would you have him not vote for them?

Preferential treatment involves someone getting something or being treated differently. Bama gets nothing. The only poll that really matters is the Playoffs poll.
Your program bias isn’t letting you see it. What’s funny is you just keep providing justification for bias you say doesn’t exost.

The problem is if you start outside the top 10 preseason it’s almost impossible to make it into the top 4 by the end and you certainly don’t control your own destiny in that regard. You need a lot of teams ahead of you to lose for it to happen.

Unless the people voting in the playoff poll are using the AP or Coaches poll for reference, there should be an issue.

The sad part is that I think your estimates are high as to how many teams actually have a shot. I think it would be under 20. In 8 years of picking 4 teams, we have only had 13 different teams in the playoffs. Only 6 teams have been in the playoffs more than a single year.
I think an 8 team playoff is the most sensible.

It gives:
A. Each major conference winner an auto-in
B. a team in a major conference that didn't win but is a monster to be also in the playoffs.
C. A few non-major undefeated teams to have a shot.. like in March Madness.

Oh I meant there were only 20-30 teams the people deciding would ever even consider allowing to compete for a championship regardless of record.

Your program bias isn’t letting you see it. What’s funny is you just keep providing justification for bias you say doesn’t exost.

We were discussing preferential treatment. People who know the game, vote in the various polls. The AP is reporters mostly. The Coaches Poll is coaches. I think those people are knowledgeable enough to make the call.

We were discussing preferential treatment. People who know the game, vote in the various polls. The AP is reporters mostly. The Coaches Poll is coaches. I think those people are knowledgeable enough to make the call.
Are you attempting to give sports reporters any sort of credibility? LMAO

Do I have to give examples as to how stupid that is?

Are you attempting to give sports reporters any sort of credibility? LMAO

Do I have to give examples as to how stupid that is?

The AP poll is, I think, the oldest poll out there. And while I agree sports reporters can be idiots, they usually know their sport well enough to rank schools.

I am sure the coaches know their sport well enough. And the Coaches Poll is usually close to what the AP poll is.

The AP poll is, I think, the oldest poll out there. And while I agree sports reporters can be idiots, they usually know their sport well enough to rank schools.

I am sure the coaches know their sport well enough. And the Coaches Poll is usually close to what the AP poll is.
And you dont think both the coaches and reporters suffer from program bias? Really?

Let me assure you, you will never see a greater example and cesspool of unathletic, egotistical, proud, petty individuals than in sports journalism.

Just remember, 3 of the aforementioned yet revered sports reporters voted to NOT put Ken Griffey Jr. into the HOF upon his first year of entry... if you ask me, it was likely from NYC reporters who didn't want a non-Yankee to break the long-standing record of noone getting unanimously voted in.. and they had a boy toy in Jeter waiting in the wings.

I mean seriously, if Griffey doesn't get in unanimously, who does? It's just petty men who are as mature as 14 yr old high school girls.

Explain how ND is always in the top 10 to start the year and routinely ends up barely in the top 25 if not out of it.

Explain the 7-8 SEC teams who get ranked in the top 10 before they drop 3-4 games and end up out of the top 25.

There are 4 teams who were ranked in the top 10 preseason who are either out of the top 25 or almost there 6 games in, no program bias? Really?

And you dont think both the coaches and reporters suffer from program bias? Really?

I am sure there are a few who do. But how many coaches and sports reporters vote? There are 62 reporters and sports broadcasters who vote in the AP poll. They each give their top 25 teams, in order. And all are combined to produce the poll.

Do you think most of them are biased?

Explain how ND is always in the top 10 to start the year and routinely ends up barely in the top 25 if not out of it.

Explain the 7-8 SEC teams who get ranked in the top 10 before they drop 3-4 games and end up out of the top 25.

There are 4 teams who were ranked in the top 10 preseason who are either out of the top 25 or almost there 6 games in, no program bias? Really?

Given that the preseason poll is mostly projection and guess-work, it is not a big deal. It works out in the end.

Given that the preseason poll is mostly projection and guess-work, it is not a big deal. It works out in the end.
Just so Im tracking we've gone from

Bias? Special treatment? What are you talking about, to any special treatment they get has been earned to the pollsters know what they are doing, to well it works out in the end.

Yes for certain programs it always seems to "work out in the end".

Forum List

Back