Alien Life? You better hope God exists!

Id say, in terms of planets within what we speculate (and could be wrong) is the goldilocks zone.....its 1 outta 1. Earth.

As the OP points out, it takes FAR more than simply being in the proverbial "goldilocks zone". There are literally thousands of variables and conditions which had to be present and events which had to occur or intelligent life as we know it wouldn't exist here. Again, had it not been for a cataclysmic event that wiped out dinosaurs, mammals like humans wouldn't have evolved to anything larger than a small dog, much less intelligent life.

Speculative ~ but 1 for certain is that the elements that exist everywhere in the Universe made it possible over just millions of years, and the Universe is 14 BILLION years old.

Yep... 14 billion years and only within the past 100~200k years did intelligent human life emerge. That was after a series of events like the elimination of predatory reptiles which enabled mammals to thrive. And going back even further, just the variables like an ocean with tides caused by a moon, atmospheric pressure which enables water to remain stable and not evaporate out into space, a molten iron-nickel core which created an electromagnetic protection field around the planet to shield life from deadly cosmic rays and radiation, a quirky wobbling rotation caused by whatever collided with the Earth to form the moon, setting up "seasons" of which life cycles are nearly universally dependent... on and on and on... countless variables that don't "just so happen" to exist everywhere in the universe.

Id say, in terms of planets within what we speculate (and could be wrong) is the goldilocks zone.....its 1 outta 1. Earth.

As the OP points out, it takes FAR more than simply being in the proverbial "goldilocks zone". There are literally thousands of variables and conditions which had to be present and events which had to occur or intelligent life as we know it wouldn't exist here. Again, had it not been for a cataclysmic event that wiped out dinosaurs, mammals like humans wouldn't have evolved to anything larger than a small dog, much less intelligent life.
you dont know what kind of life and or intelligence would have come about..

you also dont know what, if any, species may have been intelligent pre-human here on this earth

you also dont know how common or uncommon those "thousands" of factors are...over the VASTNESS of a damn near infinite universe....over BILLIONS of years

our evolution mat have even been SLOW in comparison..

we may not even be intelligent, relatively.

Speculative ~ but 1 for certain is that the elements that exist everywhere in the Universe made it possible over just millions of years, and the Universe is 14 BILLION years old.

Yep... 14 billion years and only within the past 100~200k years did intelligent human life emerge. That was after a series of events like the elimination of predatory reptiles which enabled mammals to thrive. And going back even further, just the variables like an ocean with tides caused by a moon, atmospheric pressure which enables water to remain stable and not evaporate out into space, a molten iron-nickel core which created an electromagnetic protection field around the planet to shield life from deadly cosmic rays and radiation, a quirky wobbling rotation caused by whatever collided with the Earth to form the moon, setting up "seasons" of which life cycles are nearly universally dependent... on and on and on... countless variables that don't "just so happen" to exist everywhere in the universe.
Thats ...

JUST earth, which is not even as old as the Universe.

lol

1 place. And bo0m

The chances that physics can create life are 100% true. Here we are... The chances that an imaginary "god" can create life are 0% true.

Why can't physics create life from inorganic materials?

I agree, an imaginary god can't create anything. God isn't imaginary.

The chances that physics can create life are 100% true. Here we are... The chances that an imaginary "god" can create life are 0% true.

Why can't physics create life from inorganic materials?

I agree, an imaginary god can't create anything. God isn't imaginary.
"god isnt imaginary" is an absolute.

few posts ago, you stated that youre very careful not to speak in absolutes

how careful?

you dont know what kind of life and or intelligence would have come about..

you also dont know what, if any, species may have been intelligent pre-human here on this earth

you also dont know how common or uncommon those "thousands" of factors are...over the VASTNESS of a damn near infinite universe....over BILLIONS of years

our evolution mat have even been SLOW in comparison..

we may not even be intelligent, relatively.

I know that for millions of years, dinosaurs ruled the planet and they weren't intelligent. We have no evidence anything was intelligent before humans. I guess we could parse "intelligent" and argue about what it actually means but in terms of what we comprehend as advanced human intelligence, there is no evidence it exited before humans. Any speculation that it MAY have is a FAITH-BASED belief no different than belief in deities.

Not to mention, Speaking on how many years it took and what processes had to be present regarding HUMAN life ~ is a non sequitur comparison to the infinite possibilities of other forms of life.

We have studied a pebble.

We RECENTLY discovered life on our own earth living in conditions we previously thought life wasnt possible. Thats hilarious.

Not to mention, Speaking on how many years it took and what processes had to be present regarding HUMAN life ~ is a non sequitur comparison to the infinite possibilities of other forms of life.

We RECENTLY discovered life on our own earth living in conditions we previously thought life wasnt possible. Thats hilarious.

Again, the OP is not debating the possible existence of ANY life elsewhere. It's not even arguing there isn't intelligent life elsewhere. Trying desperately to twist and morph my argument into that so you can defeat it is pretty cowardly, if you ask me.

"god isnt imaginary" is an absolute.

few posts ago, you stated that youre very careful not to speak in absolutes

how careful?

You're right. It's my belief that god isn't imaginary and you've not produced any evidence to contradict my belief.

Again, the OP is not debating the possible existence of ANY life elsewhere. It's not even arguing there isn't intelligent life elsewhere. Trying desperately to twist and morph my argument into that so you can defeat it is pretty cowardly, if you ask me.
im not jumping into your op.

i was picking up where the conversation was...and this is what folks were currently talking about.

sorry that bugs you

You're right, God could've made it happen all over the universe.

unique? rare? haven't you noticed that the earth is teeming with diverse forms of life?

How did it originate?

Most likely it originated elsewhere, wherever the 96% of the matter that we can't see in the universe is.

How?

Every fruit bearing tree that breaks through the surface of the earth to live in a fertile garden under the sun was first planted below the earth in the form of a seed by living beings from another sphere of intelligences.

Last edited:
unique? rare? haven't you noticed that the earth is teeming with diverse forms of life?

How did it originate?

Most likely it originated elsewhere, wherever the 96% of the matter that we can't see in the universe is.

How?

Every plant that breaks through the surface of the earth to live under the sun was first planted below the earth in the form of a seed by living beings from another sphere of intelligences.

But what you are offering are faith-based opinions. I have no problem with faith-based opinions on this question because none of us know for certain. What I reject are SOME people who want to claim their faith-based opinions are FACTS or that their faith-based opinion is more valid than others because they think science supports them.

You know, last night on Stephen Colbert's show, he was interviewing Dr. Neil DeGrass Tyson, and he said that this object is actually a bunch of gravel and rocks, loosely held together by gravity, and it behaves like it should under the influence of gravity only.

Another thing he said is that we don't know what makes up around 70 or 80 percent of the universe because we don't understand dark matter yet.

Anyone ever consider the possibility that dark matter might actually be God?

How did it originate?

How?

Every plant that breaks through the surface of the earth to live under the sun was first planted below the earth in the form of a seed by living beings from another sphere of intelligences.

But what you are offering are faith-based opinions. I have no problem with faith-based opinions on this question because none of us know for certain. What I reject are SOME people who want to claim their faith-based opinions are FACTS or that their faith-based opinion is more valid than others because they think science supports them.

I like to think of it as more of an educated guess. Thats why I said most likely.

If 96% of the universe is invisible to us then it would seem like everything that we know about life is from the perspective of living underground, so to speak, just like 96% of life on earth is happening above the surface, beyond the range of perception for anything living beneath the surface, in the dust of the earth.

Last edited:
I like to think of it as more of an educated guess. Thats why I said most likely.

If 96% of the universe is invisible to us then it would seem like everything that we know about life is from the perspective of living underground, just like 96% of life on earth is happening above the surface, beyond the range of perception for anything living beneath the surface, in the dust of the earth.

Educated guessing is fine but we have to remember that we've made lots of educated guesses that turned out to be completely wrong. Science is the practice of discovery through observation and testing, not guessing educationally.

You are correct, up until about 15 years ago, every physics book in the world was wrong. They all stated the universe was mostly comprised of atoms. We now know that it's mostly dark matter and dark energy, of which we cannot physically interact. A century ago, we thought the smallest thing in the universe was an atom... until we split one open and all kinds of other shit came tumbling out.

If 96% of the universe is invisible to us then it would seem like everything that we know about life is from the perspective of living underground, just like 96% of life on earth is happening above the surface, beyond the range of perception for anything living beneath the surface, in the dust of the earth.

Educated guessing is fine but we have to remember that we've made lots of educated guesses that turned out to be completely wrong. Science is the practice of discovery through observation and testing, not guessing educationally.

You are correct, up until about 15 years ago, every physics book in the world was wrong. They all stated the universe was mostly comprised of atoms. We now know that it's mostly dark matter and dark energy, of which we cannot physically interact. A century ago, we thought the smallest thing in the universe was an atom... until we split one open and all kinds of other shit came tumbling out.

With all of that in mind I suspect that the elements of life itself are likewise not material in nature but present throughout the universe in a way that our conscious minds cannot detect or connect with yet except in rare circumstances.

Dreams seem to be the medium through which we all are inextricably connected to some greater reality..

Evolution is a scientific theory. Your FAITH in God is not scientific or all.

Evolution does not explain origin of life, sorry!
Scientists think life starting on a new planet is common. Carbons cling then multiply. Rocks amino acids mold . You need water though. Too bad we probably will die before we discover life elsewhere

That's a faith-based speculation that has NEVER been proven with science. You cannot replicate the process in the most sophisticated lab environment with all the genetic tools and materials at your disposal. Carbon doesn't simply cling and multiply, mold doesn't spontaneously generate. That's a debunked theory from the mid 1800s disproved by Biogenesis.
Not true. They replicated what earth was like back then and mold formed.

I’ll believe the science show and Neal degrades Tyson over your nonsense

Forum List

Back