Almost half of Americans work in low paid jobs

Neither do workers, probably even less so.

People have value, and nobody is going to pay somebody of little value a lot of money. They have to have value in some capacity. Conversely, nobody is going to overpay a worker either in most cases. CEO's, especially the best ones, are very rare; just as rare as that star quarterback, ace pitcher, beautiful and talented actress, or the great song writer. Because they are rare, they can make higher demands for compensation, because if you don't want to meet those demands, somebody else just might, and then those people get the talent.

In other words, take your job for instance. What if only you and a handful of people had the ability to do your job? What kind of money would you make? Well.....as long as you could produce profit for a company, you might be able to ask for millions a year, and companies would have no choice but to take it.
American CEOs claim to be rare. But they are no more rare than CEOs in international corporations. Yet, they are paid significantly higher.

Over the last three decades, American CEOs have seen significant increases in their compensation. Yet, American companies have not done significantly better
WHO-EARNS-WHAT-Business-7.jpeg

So what does employees pay have to do with what a CEO makes? It's totally irrelevant.
Not really
It relates to the distribution of company profit.
The workers used to get a larger slice of the pie. The amount of profit that goes to workers has decreased, while the amount going to executive compensation has increased

After enough time, corporations realized it was not a successful plan. Paying workers more money does not equal greater profit. Paying a CEO more money does.

Not necessarily.
It is the workers who are creating wealth.
CEOs move money around giving the illusion of wealth and profit while adding nothing of value
The workers would not be doing anything if no one was there telling them what to do

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Now you are starting to understand. Yes, my widgets could move to China if I can't afford American wages and taxation. That's what's been happening since the 70's. As unions got more greedy, businesses moved away from them, even to the point out of the country.

So I have no idea where you dream up that the solution is to go back in time, and replicate what caused this problem in the first place.
Ah those greedy unions and our strong economic growth. That was so horrible. But ceos should make insane amounts shipping off jobs right? You are a funny one.

I love how you on the left always excoriate businesses. Back to the widget factory analogy: You and I own widget factories. We both need a highly talented and rare person to operate our finances, manage operations, oversee sales, and get new business.

So one comes along and applies to your company. He or she has a long history of success; taking companies that were just about to close, and making them profitable again, drawing new investors that allowed for expansion, reducing waste and adding productivity. This CEO wants 5 million a year. You refuse to pay that amount.

So now that CEO comes to my company, and I agree to pay him the 5 mil a year. Now he gets to work, and eventually takes your customers and brings them to my company. That's the reason I pay him 5 million a year, because he can make my company 10 million dollars more profitable a year.
That is the hope.....

The reality is that both CEOs probably do the same. If one happens to do better than the other, he will use it to justify a higher compensation.
American CEOs are paid significantly higher than their international counterparts. American companies do not perform significantly better.

People have value, and nobody is going to pay somebody of little value a lot of money. They have to have value in some capacity. Conversely, nobody is going to overpay a worker either in most cases. CEO's, especially the best ones, are very rare; just as rare as that star quarterback, ace pitcher, beautiful and talented actress, or the great song writer. Because they are rare, they can make higher demands for compensation, because if you don't want to meet those demands, somebody else just might, and then those people get the talent.

In other words, take your job for instance. What if only you and a handful of people had the ability to do your job? What kind of money would you make? Well.....as long as you could produce profit for a company, you might be able to ask for millions a year, and companies would have no choice but to take it.
American CEOs claim to be rare. But they are no more rare than CEOs in international corporations. Yet, they are paid significantly higher.

Over the last three decades, American CEOs have seen significant increases in their compensation. Yet, American companies have not done significantly better

Which of those countries has the greatest economy in the world? Why do you believe we should race for bottom?

I don't see how. You people on the left seem to look at companies like some giant commune, where everybody pitches in and is equally rewarded. If you cut CEO pay in half, you will get less talent, and it doesn't change the value of the worker. So why would you pay a worker more than they are worth? You would opt to pay that worker fair wage for their talents, and give the rest of the money to your stockholders if anything.

So what is your work worth? Your value is what your employer can find other people to do the same quality of work. That's how much you are worth.

If you sweep floors for a living, anybody can do that. Your pay is based on how many other people can do that job, and since it requires no talent or skill, the pay will be lower. If you have a skilled job such as an electrician or plumber, many less people can do that job, and that means your employer can't replace you with a worker for less money. He or she has to pay you what others are willing to do that job for. Same with an engineer or architect. Even less people can do that job, so they make more money because it's much harder to replace them.

So do tell, why would an employer pay an employee more money than they could hire somebody else for? You don't do it for the people that work for you, so it's hypocritical to say others should.
Well we don't have the greatest generation CEOs or unions anymore, so we have to depend on the government to regulate a living wage and benefits like every other modern country, super duper. Cuz it's damn obvious the GOP will never do anything along those lines....

How do we depend on the gov for a living wage?
How about you work harder than your coworkers?
How do we depend on the government for a living wage? What the hell do you mean LOL?

You're the one who said it dumbfuck.
You tell me.
Only the government can do it. we no longer have greatest generation CEOs or unions. Great job

So you retract your statement two posts later?
You're a Fuken mental midget.

Workers should have a seat at the table

They used to when they had union representation. Today, they get table scraps

The political arena started dumpin' on unions after Reagan led the charge

Now it's standard fare to do so....and they're winning...

All part of the War on American Labor

atlas_SkhF2fIE4.png

atlas_S153fJAOW@2x.png

~S~

Except for the fact breaking one union did not lead to the reduction of all unions. Reagan had nothing to do with it. Unions lost support of the people when they seen their jobs move overseas partly due to union greed.
Manual labor has moved to the cheapest salary. the u.s. problem is we have the GOP give away to the rich and screw everyone else economy. education and training should be provided like in other modern countries so we get the good jobs technical jobs that good education provides. Wake up and smell the coffee. Also our infrastructure is falling apart. No sacrifice is too great to save greedy idiot GOP billionaires and corporations from paying their fair share. Stupid.and you get the worst inequality and worst upward Mobility anywhere ever. It is not because people just magically became lazy, brainwashed functional moron.
Because technology has enabled unskilled laborers to produce high quality products faster and for less than skilled laborers could

That is the hope.....

The reality is that both CEOs probably do the same. If one happens to do better than the other, he will use it to justify a higher compensation.
American CEOs are paid significantly higher than their international counterparts. American companies do not perform significantly better.

So what does employees pay have to do with what a CEO makes? It's totally irrelevant.
Not really
The workers used to get a larger slice of the pie. The amount of profit that goes to workers has decreased, while the amount going to executive compensation has increased

After enough time, corporations realized it was not a successful plan. Paying workers more money does not equal greater profit. Paying a CEO more money does.

"After enough time, corporations realized it was not a successful plan. Paying workers more money does not equal greater profit. Paying a CEO more money does."

Ray....you know I respect you even though you play for the wrong team.

but...(I haven't gone far back in this thread)

Is there any evidence that paying a CEO (as much as they pay him) makes that much of a difference? compared to what the employees earn?

haven't we all heard of the CEO who they hired for GAZILLIONS and then ruined the company?

didn't that happen to GM? or....Ford? or....?Dell?

and are there any stats showing any comparisons?

If company A and company B both sell computers...

and company A pays its CEO better does that automatically equate into better profits?

if company A pays its employees better does THAT equate into better profits?

meaning;

And the pay of any CEO has absolutely no impact on what you can earn
So companies have unlimited payroll? Fascinating.

You assume that people would get raises if a CEO pay was cut.

That money most would most likely go to the stockholders

And what percentage of the population of the US works for companies with CEOs that get the highest pay?
So now it’s not unlimited?

Answer the question.

What some CEO makes has never had any effect on what I can make and I daresay that is true for most people
[PDF]
Effects of Excessive CEO Pay on US Society - Saginaw Valley ...

https://www.svsu.edu › writingprogram › activedocs › Whelton_article

by RS Whelton - ‎Cited by 5 - ‎Related articles
Research suggests excessive CEO compensation contributes to the cheating culture in every aspect of society. Each stakeholder--from coworker to the international community--may be negatively influenced by the U.S. system of CEO pay packages.
What's The Harm In Excessive CEO Pay? Answer: Long-Term ...

https://www.forbes.com › sites › aalsin › 2017/09/07 › whats-the-harm-in-...

Sep 7, 2017 - Year-after-year, GE has posted disappointing results, leaving long-term ... While excessive CEO pay has received plenty of attention from labor ...
Reining in CEO compensation and curbing the rise of inequality

https://www.epi.org › publication › reining-in-ceo-compensation-and-curb...

Jun 4, 2019 - There are many facets to the rise in American income inequality over ... The second section draws out the implications of excessive CEO pay for ...
Missing: society ‎| ‎Must include: ‎society
Prove to me that lowering ceo pay will result in higher wages for employees

China sends us their resources for almost nothing, what’s the problem?

What resources do we (the USA) import from China?

Do you mean products?
What don’t we import from China? That would be a shorter list. Don’t they put their resources into products? Dont they sell us steel? Your question seems dumb...

You said: "China sends us their resources for almost nothing". I asked, "what resources"?

Steel isn't a resource, it is a manufactured product. I agree that China dumps billions of dollars of products on us every year. You said resources. Oil, gas, coal, uranium ore, iron ore, etc. I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Well we don't have the greatest generation CEOs or unions anymore, so we have to depend on the government to regulate a living wage and benefits like every other modern country, super duper. Cuz it's damn obvious the GOP will never do anything along those lines....

How do we depend on the gov for a living wage?
How about you work harder than your coworkers?
How do we depend on the government for a living wage? What the hell do you mean LOL?

You're the one who said it dumbfuck.
You tell me.
Only the government can do it. we no longer have greatest generation CEOs or unions. Great job

So you retract your statement two posts later?
You're a Fuken mental midget.
you'll see when the Democrats get in and give us a living wage, brainwashed functional moron. I didn't retract anything.

And what percentage of the population of the US works for companies with CEOs that get the highest pay?

Answer the question.

What some CEO makes has never had any effect on what I can make and I daresay that is true for most people
[PDF]

Research suggests excessive CEO compensation contributes to the cheating culture in every aspect of society. Each stakeholder--from coworker to the international community--may be negatively influenced by the U.S. system of CEO pay packages.

Sep 7, 2017 - Year-after-year, GE has posted disappointing results, leaving long-term ... While excessive CEO pay has received plenty of attention from labor ...

Jun 4, 2019 - There are many facets to the rise in American income inequality over ... The second section draws out the implications of excessive CEO pay for ...

That wasn't the Q you asked Blues......~S~

Answer the question.

[PDF]

When CEO pay is lower, the company can pay the workers more. Do you want a diagram?

Not really

Yep...as long as they're good at what they do.
If not they can be fired just like the rest of us if we/they dont live up to expectations.

Correct, and CEO's get fired all the time. I don't know if Crane's still has their magazine out, but in it, there are pages of CEO's who are going to other companies. Those pages are included in every issue. So it's happening all the time.

Answer the question.

[PDF]

When CEO pay is lower, the company can pay the workers more. Do you want a diagram?
Other executives ditto.

Answer the question.

[PDF]

"Prove to me that lowering ceo pay will result in higher wages for employees"

the way the game is played it probably wouldn't.

money diverted FROM the CEO would probably just end up in the hands of investors. Or other top execs.

it COULD end up as higher wages for employees but it rarely ever does.

Answer the question.

[PDF]

That wasn't the Q you asked Blues......~S~
Yeah it was

Answer the question.

[PDF]

What can happen and what does or will happen are not the same

Not really

If not they can be fired just like the rest of us if we/they dont live up to expectations.

Correct, and CEO's get fired all the time. I don't know if Crane's still has their magazine out, but in it, there are pages of CEO's who are going to other companies. Those pages are included in every issue. So it's happening all the time.
And the new style of CEO are carpetbagging douchebags who don't often help their companies anyway, just themselves. The only solution is raising the top rate. 90% over 20 million sounds good to me....

Last edited:

Answer the question.

[PDF]

CAN...but don't.

stock holders or other top execs get it

Not really

And the new style of CEO are carpetbagging douchebags who don't often help their companies anyway time adjust themselves. The only solution is raising the top rate. 90% over 20 million sounds good to me....
What a ceo does or doesn't do is not your concern unless you happen to be on the board of directors

Not really

Agreed.
I worked for two companies that shit canned the CEO because they sucked.
Funny thing is we as workers saw it long before the powers that be did.

Not really

And the new style of CEO are carpetbagging douchebags who don't often help their companies anyway time adjust themselves. The only solution is raising the top rate. 90% over 20 million sounds good to me....

Try that again in english please.

Forum List

Back