Always fun to watch the Masters

So my question is, do you want him to do well or not?

No rational analyst would predict that he will finish in the top 10. It would be a pleasant surprise (to the advertisers) if he even made the cut.

I will take your $5. Details to be worked out.

So my question is, do you want him to do well or not?

No rational analyst would predict that he will finish in the top 10. It would be a pleasant surprise (to the advertisers) if he even made the cut.

I will take your $5. Details to be worked out.
Yes, I believe that he'll do reasonable this week. I don't see him missing the cut. Ok, we'll work out the details. E-mail me when you have something in mind.

Amazing that Tiger Woods is still the story when he hasn't won the Masters in a decade. I'm usually busy working on April weekends, so I try to check in on the radio for results. In recent years, the bulk of the updates are about how Tiger Woods is struggling. Sometimes the broadcaster completely ignores the leader board and just talks about Tiger's triple bogey or his back spasms. Thanks for nothing.

I'm a marginal golf fan but I do get interested in a couple of tournaments, including the British Open and the US Open. Tiger obsession is a classic example of how ESPN treats its patrons as if they were developmentally disabled. They'll apologize for talking about Tiger, and then say they have to do it because that's what people are interested in, but on some level they're pushing the story on the audience. It's supply-side journalism. They tell you what you're supposed to be interested in and then perpetually reinforce that angle.

Tiger is so pathetic now that I can't even be a Tiger-hater anymore. Rory is the guy to root against. I like Bubba Watson and Rickie Fowler. I hope Fowler wins while wearing some kind of crazy orange pimp outfit.

Rickie Fowler is toning down his outfits this year;
masters-2015-rickie-fowler-puma-apparel-golf_t780.jpg

He's getting serious. He even got a haircut. This year I think his golf will outperform 2014's orange suit.

Woods actually made it through a round without quitting. Spieth served notice that he's gunning for #1, although he's bouncing the ball off trees and then off the pin. I'm rooting for the old guy to pull it off. But McElroy , Spieth and the Puma are the future of golf.

I'm glad Tiger is playing well but I think he's going to fade when conditions tighten up. He screwed up big time but holy shit I think he paid the price for it. Compare what he's been through to some other public figures....nuff said.

Woods actually made it through a round without quitting. Spieth served notice that he's gunning for #1, although he's bouncing the ball off trees and then off the pin. I'm rooting for the old guy to pull it off. But McElroy , Spieth and the Puma are the future of golf.

Conventional wisdom for Augusta National is; right handers have to hit a draw and Augusta is friendlier for long hitters.

Therein lay the problem for right handers, to hit the ball long you need a hard ball, a softer ball is more easier for shaping your shots.

Advantage left handers but-----but, so far, Jordan Spieth is making all that conventional wisdom look... not so wise.

Scoring a 130 is incredible and-----and a 36 hole majors record, so much for conventional wisdom.

I have Bubba Watson and Dustin Johnson for my fantasy picks... I might already be out of it, but I'm still rooting for Paulina Gretzky's boyfriend.

upload_2015-4-10_22-3-46.jpeg

I was rooting for Tom Watson, but he ran out of gas yesterday. But shooting 7 over for two days at Augusta at age 71 is pretty impressive. Crenshaw is only 63 and he shot +32. I'm shocked that Woods made the cut.

Augusta has always been my favorite golf course.

I don't know if it still holds true but in the 70's when I was stationed in D.C., it was well-known that we could get daily passes to play Augusta during the week from the local R&R center. Seems they welcomed active duty GIs from all branches and gave us some really neat discounts.

I only played it once - and am not about to tell my score - but it was the greatest experience I ever had playing golf.

Thus, watching it on TV is a real pleasure for me - if only the commentators would shut up!

I don't know if it still holds true but in the 70's when I was stationed in D.C., it was well-known that we could get daily passes to play Augusta during the week from the local R&R center. Seems they welcomed active duty GIs from all branches and gave us some really neat discounts.

I only played it once - and am not about to tell my score - but it was the greatest experience I ever had playing golf.

Thus, watching it on TV is a real pleasure for me - if only the commentators would shut up!

Sounds to me like you're posting from dreamland.

Do you have a link to Augusta National giving tee times to R&R GI's?

No link... I'll know you're a bullshitting liar, but if you have a credible link I'll give you a message board high five and congratulations for being one of only a few thousand people to play Augusta National.

A Dozen Ways to Play Augusta National Golf Club

Sounds to me like you're posting from dreamland.

Do you have a link to Augusta National giving tee times to R&R GI's?

No link... I'll know you're a bullshitting liar, but if you have a credible link I'll give you a message board high five and congratulations for being one of only a few thousand people to play Augusta National.

A Dozen Ways to Play Augusta National Golf Club
Sorry you got such a hair up your rear end.

I was assigned to Washington, DC twice in the '70s and both times, during the off season, tickets to play Augusta National were available at the Fort Gordon Recreation Office and anyone could apply for them. We were invited to play Mon thru Fri when openings occurred. We were not allowed into the club house but changed in an area near where the caddies were.

I had some souvenirs but lost them. Believe it or not. That's up to you.

If you're interested, the same invitations stand for Pebble Beach and a couple of other courses in the area.

Like it or not, Tiger Woods is THE story in golf for a number of reasons. People who are true golf fans get bored with the Tiger Talk, but in order to have a LOT of people tuning in there has to be someone playing Sunday afternoon that non-golf fans are interested in, and that person is Tiger Woods.

He had a respectable week and was in the hunt on Sunday morning, which was a surprise to most knowledgeable people, and a boon to the advertisers.

Sonny, if I had lost the bet I probably would have paid off in Monopoly money, so we'll call it even. You were more right than I thought you would be.

This golf tournament illustrates the most frustrating and telling aspect of golf, as a sport/pastime. Once you reach Your Level, you will never get any better, regardless of how much you play or practice.

Note that Tiger Woods set the scoring record when he was 21 (as is Spieth now), and he never improved on that record. Spieth's score is arguably a better one because the course has been adjusted over the years to make it slightly tougher. So don't look for Jordan to improve over time. He is at his peak RIGHT NOW, and can only hope not to deteriorate like most of the others do.

If practice made you better, then pro golfers would be improving over the years until age reduced their driving distance to the point where it affected their scores. But they don't get better even though they play all year long under intense competition and practice for countless hours.

Practice doesn't even improve putting (once you have figured it out). If practice improved putting, then the guys on the Senior Tour would be the best putters in the world. But they are not. They don't even read the greens any better than they did when they were younger.

Forum List

Back