Am I losing my faith or just becoming more realistic?

Well, no. I'm an evidence based guy. Where is there any evidence that there is a spirit or a soul?
When I am studying (or in) the physical world, I want evidence as well. Nothing like something that can be experienced by the five senses and (in a lab setting) always get the same results. Nothing like the objective!

Even so, I find the subjective (or philosophical) world equally as fascinating. It can be more of a challenge because one has to make do without the five senses. Subjectively, it is a matter of defining which is at work...mind or spirit. It is difficult, and one can be/is often mistaken for the other.

"A literal blueprint for religion

First, establish a consistent doctrine called the New Testament with select gospels that speak to a universal belief, which was precisely what the bishops had done at Nicaea. Then decree that all other beliefs are heretical, unworthy of consideration, and all who don't believe will be excommunicated. To further enforce dogma, create the notion of sin, adding that if it's not forgiven, the soul will be sent to eternal damnation in flames. Never mind that the Old Testament mentioned nothing of any such place. Just create one in your New Testament, then use it to cement loyalty and obedience.

The fastest way t ensure a constant laity is to proclaim every person is born with sins inherited as punishment for Adam's fall from grace. To purge that 'original sin' a person must submit to baptism, performed only by a priest ordained by the church. A failure to rid that sin dams the soul to to hell. To keep people dependent on the church for their entire lifetime, create more sacraments. Holy communion for children. Confirmation at puberty. Marriage for adults. Last rites on the dead. A womb-to-grave influence over every aspect of a person's life, each milestone dependent solely on adherence to church doctrine. Along the way the sacrament of confession allows a chance to purge oneself of sin and temporarily avoid hell--- that forgiveness, of course, coming from only one source.

The church.

"God had to have a good reason".
Yes, that is harsh. God doesn't go around zapping this and that on either humanity or nature.

Someone once told me that he had run across a quote that made a lot of sense to him. We are not humans seeking a spiritual experience. We are spirits seeking a human experience.

The human experience can be overwhelming enough, I should know. I once lost four family members and my best friend in the space of weeks. Most were so unexpected. I was in such grief I did not even know who I was grieving for at any given moment--which bothered me a lot. I don't know what I would have done had someone suggested that God had targeted my loved ones (and me) for some unknown reason. Instead (about six months later) I was slowly able to once again comprehend how the Spirit of God assists a human spirit through a very human experience.

Have you ever considered a spirit existence that wanted a physical experience--all the good and bad that goes with physical existence?

"A literal blueprint for religion

First, establish a consistent doctrine called the New Testament with select gospels that speak to a universal belief, which was precisely what the bishops had done at Nicaea. Then decree that all other beliefs are heretical, unworthy of consideration, and all who don't believe will be excommunicated. To further enforce dogma, create the notion of sin, adding that if it's not forgiven, the soul will be sent to eternal damnation in flames. Never mind that the Old Testament mentioned nothing of any such place. Just create one in your New Testament, then use it to cement loyalty and obedience.

The fastest way t ensure a constant laity is to proclaim every person is born with sins inherited as punishment for Adam's fall from grace. To purge that 'original sin' a person must submit to baptism, performed only by a priest ordained by the church. A failure to rid that sin dams the soul to to hell. To keep people dependent on the church for their entire lifetime, create more sacraments. Holy communion for children. Confirmation at puberty. Marriage for adults. Last rites on the dead. A womb-to-grave influence over every aspect of a person's life, each milestone dependent solely on adherence to church doctrine. Along the way the sacrament of confession allows a chance to purge oneself of sin and temporarily avoid hell--- that forgiveness, of course, coming from only one source.

The church.
I'm not that much of a cynic. I am more the type in that ABBA song.... I believe in angels, something good in everything I see....

I believe in angels, something good in everything I see....
I don't believe in angels yet I try to find something good in everything I see-
The above Literal Blue Print post is an accurate description of religion..... and politics-

God knows that a person having faith isn't easy. It's a journey. But faith is Paramount in our relationship with God. Trust in God and leave your worries to him. In the end he will deliver.

I don't believe in angels yet I try to find something good in everything I see-
The above Literal Blue Print post is an accurate description of religion..... and politics-
No, as a whole it is not accurate for either government or religion. It is an accurate description of people who are after money or power--and yes, both can be found in government and religion. That is why we should always be wary.

However, at the other end of the spectrum are those who honestly want to serve and to seriously work at making life better for everyone.

Wow, you sure cast a wide net.

How wide a net has Richard Dawkins cast, publishing The God Delusion, a vile, hateful attack on all people of faith, which sold millions of copies?
How wide was that net?

I 've known Athiests (sic) that just go about their lives, being good honest, loving, and generous people... you'd never know they didn't believe in God, because their walk was with what I was taught was holy, or with the God in good.

Good for you. Those were not the people I described, were they?
There are hypocrites of faith, aren't there? Jesus selected Judas as His disciple and Judas betrayed him, so what?

Your disdain in your post is the opposite of our command, to bring people to Christ or God, not disparage and condemn a whole broad group.... imho.

Learn what righteous indignation is, as well as expressing the truth.
Jesus overturned the tables of the moneychangers in the temple.
Jesus said "Let him who hath no sword sell his garment and buy one."
Here is your clue: Swords are not used for plowing.

God blinded the homosexuals in Sodom who sought to rape His angels. Was God bringing people to Himself in so doing? Please explain away.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition. Men of faith prayed to defeat Nazis and Japanese, both convinced that they were the superior race. Tell the world of how effective your gentility is in overcoming evil.
We've never followed Christ, that's the world's problem, in a nutshell... And results in wars, at times...

We are not good Samaritans, we do not walk an unforced mile with our adversaries, we do not turn the other cheek, we do not love our neighbor as thyself, we do not feed and clothe the poor, help the sick, visit those imprisoned, we do not treat others as though they are Christ himself.... or all, children of God.
We are not good Samaritans, we do not walk an unforced mile with our adversaries, we do not turn the other cheek, we do not love our neighbor as thyself, we do not feed and clothe the poor, help the sick, visit those imprisoned, we do not treat others as though they are Christ himself.... or all, children of God.

their answer was to crucify the religious itinerant ... the righteous, chemical engineer, indignation.

Big picture my man. Big picture-
But isn't mine the big picture in our individual lives? What is happening in DC or the Vatican doesn't affect my own relationships with family, friends, and colleagues--nor especially with God.

As for not getting your prayers answered, you are in good company. Jesus prayed to be delivered from the cross after a life time of oppression and abuse, but got no answer.

So the question begs, was God just ignoring his one and only Son? No, he was simply playing a complicated game of chess.
Nothing finer than life as a pawn...

Faith in what?

If God didn't make the priest's sister quadriplegic, then who did?

Is the universe governed by a huge set of dice?

And if it is, what's the point of praying to God?
Well, baby does want a new pair of shoes.

One of my main problems with God is that he did not answer my prayers and many things have gone wrong for me.

Seeking answers, I read a book called "Where the hell is God?" written by a Jesuit priest.

His name is Richard Leonard:
“When I was studying theology as a Jesuit, looking at issues such as God and suffering and the ethics of euthanasia, it was largely an academic exercise. Then my 28 year old sister, a nurse working with the aboriginal people, was left completely paralysed from the neck down in a car accident and those issues literally became matters of life and death for me”.

He explained that he and his family had a faith crisis when his sister had an auto accident and became quadriplegic.

His answer to the question "Where the hell is God?" is that God, in his view, doesn't CAUSE these bad things to happen, so there appears to be no point in praying to God to fix the bad things that happen.

His example is the long drought in Australia, which people have been praying to end, but the drought just goes on and on.

I guess the problem with this priest's resolution is that it has weakened my faith to believe that God isn't the CAUSE of bad things that happen, because if he ISN'T, then there is something more powerful than God in the universe, another God, or an impersonal force that controls random chance.

God is the creator. He's the cause of everything.

And now I find myself thinking: What's the point of a God who is a passive bystander to the events in the universe? Why pray to him for anything?

For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

Christ teaches we SHOULD PRAY

Did he?

and if we knock on the door, the door will open to us.

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

So really, this Jesuit priest is saying something that is inconsistent with the teachings of Christ.

Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

But my experience with prayer is that some of my prayers have NOT been answered, and I've been praying for many years.

God fulfilled always all my prayers until I learned the very best prayer is: "... let your will be done ...".

Atheists, please keep your stupid comments out of this thread, I'm seeking answers from fellow believers.

I wondered myselve often why you write such an unbelievable amount of anti-catholic nonsense. Also now I don't know your real problem. The catholic church is big - with many Christians - out of a long time of history. And all this people always asked "Why does god allowing suffering" - and gave all kinds of answers. I fear you are suffering only on one reason: You like to convince everyone you are right with your ideas - specially your political ideas. But faith is not politics, faith is not bossiness, faith is not conceitedness. Faith is for example to take the sister of Richard Leonard in your heart and to cry - with empathy but without desperation. And faith is to bring her to laughter and to be happy about everything what is able to make her happy.

God bless you

Last edited:
According to the Jesuit author of the book, bad things that happen to us are not a test. Bad things happen, and there is no reason for them.

I read another book about the volcanic explosion that destroyed Pompei. The author makes the point that the people of Pompei did not die because they deserved it, or failed to make some sacrifice to the gods, they died because volcanos explode and what we do in this life has no effect on that.

Some things happen on no special reason (coincidence, chaos ...), some things happen on karmatic reasons or predestination, other things happen on reason of intuitions, intentions or plans of living structures and so on and so on. So a good prayer for a car mechanics could be: "And let never forget me to take a short look at the brake. Thanks, God."

Last edited:
Jesus said we should pray for our daily bread.

But not everyone gets their daily bread, some people die of hunger every day.

For exeryone on our planet exists enough food, although our species has to many members. By the way: Responsibility means first of all to be able to give god a good answer.

There is no god.

Nancy Pelosi has been praying for Trump but Satan remains in the Trump driver's seat.

Forum List

Back