Am I the only one who supported the soda ban?

Let's face it. Some people can't handle themselves. The idea of personal freedom is not the bigger picture. The bigger picture is for the greater good. With all of the health problems that obesity causes, it needs to be curbed. Afflictions like diabetes are a drain on the economy with the health care cost associated with it. Sure this policy would have only made a small dent, but it is a start.

New Yorkers can still live happy fulfilling lives without buying an extra large soda

I disagree with the soda ban completely.

First, its a damn slippery slope. What gets banned next?

It would not have accomplished anything because the idiots who buy the huge sodas would just buy twice or three times as much in smaller cups just to prove how they're in charge of their own lives or some such crap.

The American diet is basically fat, sugar and salt and huge portions. Poison. And, Americans look it. Add cigarettes to that and you have a huge expensive mess that the healthy people have to pay for.

I say, eat, drink, smoke anything you want as long as you do not infringe on the rights of others. That means you buy your own own health insurance, pay your own health care bills. No more going to the ER and getting free care the rest of us have to pay for.

Some have said we need to educate people and I disagree that that will make any difference. You'd have to be living in a cave not to know that sugar, fat, salt are all bad in excess and yet, people feed their kids donut and Pepsi for breakfast and bitch about our First Lady working to have healthier children. Same idiots smoke in closed houses/cars with their kids there, inhaling their shit. Education isn't going to change any of that.

NO to tort reform BUT I would disallow people from suing cigarette companies because they got lung cancer. Same with suing the bar or the bar tender because you drove drunk and killed someone. Next, the fatties will sue the grocery stores for selling them oreos in case lots.

Take responsibility for your own actions.

Whether the rw's like it or not, Kerry was right when he said Americans have the right to be stupid and fat, diabetic smokers are stupid. They just need to be forced to pay for their own stupidity.

There are a lot of bans, riding without a helmet, driving without a seat belt, having no auto insurance if you get in an accident. The list goes on for miles. This will be instituted in some form or another. I'm thinking likely that only low or no calorie sodas will be legal.

Tobacco users are heavily taxed - yet none of those taxes are used for smokers' healthcare.

I would also guess that any taxes collected on soft drinks are not used to treat obesity and/or diabetes.

Actually there was a study at Vanderbilt which shows smokers do not strain the health care system later in life. By and large smokers die in their med to late 50s. It is the non smokers who live so long that their bodies outlive their minds who need extensive care in old age. I'm not looking it up tonight, but I have found that particular study on the web and posted it before. Now that may be the case with these human blimps. Just let them eat themselves to death and be done with it.

I don't drink soda at all, but i would like the right to get a big gulp 44 oz if I wanted one.

I cut out greasy food, sweets, sodas when I started getting acne...

I drink nettle tea with butter and salt in it, and dandelion tea, amoung other herbal stuff I pick dry and store myself but don't think I should be able to force my lifestyle on anyone else....

This is the difference I think between liberals and conservatives, one tries to force there agenda on people, and conservatives just want to be left the hell alone.

Uuuummmm, haven't had a Big Gulp in years........ 7-11 is still open, right?
Maybe I'll get a couple of hot dogs, some nachos, a one lb bag of chips and a box of Lorna Doone........
I know I'll hate myself in the morning........

Let's face it. Some people can't handle themselves. The idea of personal freedom is not the bigger picture. The bigger picture is for the greater good. With all of the health problems that obesity causes, it needs to be curbed. Afflictions like diabetes are a drain on the economy with the health care cost associated with it. Sure this policy would have only made a small dent, but it is a start.

New Yorkers can still live happy fulfilling lives without buying an extra large soda

I've become pretty opened minded about finding ways to curb people's appetite for things that are really bad for them, but this one really just went overboard. There are a number of problems with the ban to begin with, the first being that it doesn't stop anyone from drinking as much soda as they want. While it might have an effect on take out orders, a person can always purchase two or three drinks. If they are dining in, all the restaurant need do is offer free refills.

My biggest problem is that it's meant to stop a certain group of people from doing something that is only harmful to themselves, and it puts a strain on everyone, including those who don't have a problem drinking a big drink every now and then. The bottom line is that the "large container soda ban" was not ever going to reduce obesity in any way or form. It was just going to cause businesses and consumers a big headache.

Now think of this for a minute. If Mayor Bloomberg had wanted to do something really super effective, he could have found a way to get the schools to initiate mandatory gym class for every student grades 1-12, every single school day of the year. While kids eating habits can lead to obesity, the biggest factor in kids becoming obese is the fact that they don't get enough exercise. The truth is that a healthy kid that gets plenty of exercise will eat a lot more than a lazy kid who watches television and plays video games all day long and slowly becomes overweight. When I was in high school, I was eating over 6000 calories per day, and I weighted 115 lbs. Bloomberg was barking up the wrong tree on this one, and I do hope the courts uphold the ruling stopping the ban in its tracks.

dontcha love it when libs prove, with their own words, that they believe we can't be trusted to make decisions for ourselves... and that only they are suited to make such decisions from on high...

Just because you need someone to tell you what choices to make doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Shove your common good bullshit up your ass.

Am I the only one who supported the soda ban?

WE can hope.

I'm thinking Billy is playing the agent provocateur game here.

Yes.

If people get fat, it's on them.
We don't need to hold their hands.

Did we have obese people before we had big gulps?

There seems to be a broad consensus (here at least) that the soda ban is bad policy. So, that leads me to ask a question, specifically addressed to those who are opposed to the soda ban, yet in favor of treating health care as a basic human right:

If your community is responsible for maintaining your health, shouldn't your community have a say in personal habits that counter that goal? To put it another way, if you want your health care guaranteed by taxpayers, shouldn't they be able to prevent you from damaging your health in a way that will cost them more?

Why do liberal idiots assume that they will have to pay for everyones healthcare?

Isn't that the whole point behind "obamacare?"

Besides, most people have health insurance so you liberal idiots should worry about your tax dollars being spent on bullshit like 200 million a year for a reality show in India or 1.2 million to study why lesbians are fatter than homosexual men.

There seems to be a broad consensus (here at least) that the soda ban is bad policy. So, that leads me to ask a question, specifically addressed to those who are opposed to the soda ban, yet in favor of treating health care as a basic human right:

If your community is responsible for maintaining your health, shouldn't your community have a say in personal habits that counter that goal? To put it another way, if you want your health care guaranteed by taxpayers, shouldn't they be able to prevent you from damaging your health in a way that will cost them more?

No.

For the simple fact that the majority of Americans take respnsiblity for their own healthcare cost. The way to fix this is to get people off the govt. tit so they wouldn't need to rely on govt for their healthcare.

Myths about the uninsured

I say DOWN with the soda ban!!!!

fat-dude.jpg

No.

For the simple fact that the majority of Americans take respnsiblity for their own healthcare cost. The way to fix this is to get people off the govt. tit so they wouldn't need to rely on govt for their healthcare.

Myths about the uninsured

You seem to be missing my point. I'm asking IF government (aka your community) is responsible for providing you with health care - which it is if we go with "health care is a right" - then don't they have a vested interest and a compelling justification for telling you how maintain it?

I don't see any way around this logic, which is the main reason I'm opposed to the idea that health care should be considered a "right". As heartwarming and reassuring as it may be to some, the idea is poison.

So instead of ordering an extra large, they order two, because as you state people can't control themselves.

You can't control behavior, hell, we are giving condoms away because we can't control behavior. So with sex we can't control behavior but you think we can actually control food intake.

Why not make people responsible for their stupidity, instead of trying to control.

Do you really think making a stupid law of not selling an extra large soda is going to change a behavior? Really?

I will what I want, when I want it, and I don't need you or the government interfering with my diet. I very rarely drink pop, I think it is not good for people, I drink water and one cup of coffee a day.

It is my life not yours, not the governments, I'm not hurting anyone, so leave me alone.

So you want your taxes to pay for their diabetes. Groovy.

So i want to what? How did you get that stupid conclusion from what I posted?

Do you honestly think that banning an extra large drink is going to change behavior? That is laughable. If people want something they will get it. Look at our history, you can't legislate behavior.

Forum List

Back