Am I the only one who supported the soda ban?

So instead of ordering an extra large, they order two, because as you state people can't control themselves.

You can't control behavior, hell, we are giving condoms away because we can't control behavior. So with sex we can't control behavior but you think we can actually control food intake.

Why not make people responsible for their stupidity, instead of trying to control.

Do you really think making a stupid law of not selling an extra large soda is going to change a behavior? Really?

I will what I want, when I want it, and I don't need you or the government interfering with my diet. I very rarely drink pop, I think it is not good for people, I drink water and one cup of coffee a day.

It is my life not yours, not the governments, I'm not hurting anyone, so leave me alone.

But the people that can't control themselves are hurting people. They are a drain on the economy. They, in a small way, are hurting the country with the risks that they take.

When you start with the premise of "people can not control themselves" you enter into dangerous territory ....... you are talking about a Thought Police situation which is a group of people with totalitarian views on a given subject, who constantly monitor others for any deviation from prescribed thinking or acting!

But you are thinking in extremes. I don't believe limiting some personal freedoms is a slippery slope. There are always going to people who resist any unfair legislation.

I think you must be one of the very few who supports it.... because in all honesty.... when you start acting like Big Brother where do you stop?

Where is personal choice left ... life becomes a big kindergarden full of children with the government above us in the role of Dear Nanny, telling us what to do or what not to do, ..and that is just plain stupid!

Thanks but no thanks.

Do I have the choice to refuse to pay for their diabetes?

If we didnt have Gov health care you wouldnt have to.

Let's face it. Some people can't handle themselves. The idea of personal freedom is not the bigger picture. The bigger picture is for the greater good. With all of the health problems that obesity causes, it needs to be curbed. Afflictions like diabetes are a drain on the economy with the health care cost associated with it. Sure this policy would have only made a small dent, but it is a start.

New Yorkers can still live happy fulfilling lives without buying an extra large soda

The issue isn’t the ‘ban’ on large soft drinks but our failure as a society to address what is an actual health problem in a non-adversarial manner.

That this is a source of conflict in the first place is idiocy.

Im torn on this. For one, I dont like yet-another law to have to enforce and regulate.

But you're right. Humans in America have gotten so fucking fat and disgusting. Our way isnt working. Sure, some fat blobs could by two mediums. But, do they want to "double-fist" two sodas while they walk NYC? Probably not. So, most will settle for that smaller one. There is no magic pill. It is only done be years of small, tiny steps, which accumalate over time.

Inconvenient? Frustrating? Infuriating? Yeah. But will it get some fat slobs to stop ingesting gallons of sugary soda a day? Maybe.

Im torn on this. For one, I dont like yet-another law to have to enforce and regulate.

But you're right. Humans in America have gotten so fucking fat and disgusting. Our way isnt working. Sure, some fat blobs could by two mediums. But, do they want to "double-fist" two sodas while they walk NYC? Probably not. So, most will settle for that smaller one. There is no magic pill. It is only done be years of small, tiny steps, which accumalate over time.

Inconvenient? Frustrating? Infuriating? Yeah. But will it get some fat slobs to stop ingesting gallons of sugary soda a day? Maybe.

Yes, exactly. Thank you.

I think you must be one of the very few who supports it.... because in all honesty.... when you start acting like Big Brother where do you stop?

Where is personal choice left ... life becomes a big kindergarden full of children with the government above us in the role of Dear Nanny, telling us what to do or what not to do, ..and that is just plain stupid!

Thanks but no thanks.

If we didnt have Gov health care you wouldnt have to.

True. But go to Washington and very publicaly propose that medicaid be terminated. Give your address too. And see what happens.

Soda now..... cigarettes and alcohol have already gone under the hammer ...what next....coffee?

Hello 1920s Prohibition America!:rolleyes:

Let's face it. Some people can't handle themselves. The idea of personal freedom is not the bigger picture. The bigger picture is for the greater good. With all of the health problems that obesity causes, it needs to be curbed. Afflictions like diabetes are a drain on the economy with the health care cost associated with it. Sure this policy would have only made a small dent, but it is a start.

New Yorkers can still live happy fulfilling lives without buying an extra large soda

Not per se. But something has to be done about the types and amounts of food people are putting down their throats. Diabetes and heart disease are at an all time high. In a few short years, America will not be equipped to deal with the numbers of people who are disabled due to their lifestyle choices. At the time it came out, no one liked the surgeon general's warning on cigarettes, but it stuck and a lot of people don't smoke or have stopped smoking because of the education about it. If you want to kill yourself with big macks and soda, go right ahead. Don't ask me to pay for your health care and give you a disability check.
Educating people about the harms that may come from an item through a posted warning from the SG is ONE THING....banning the larger drinks is a whole nuther ball game...

no law stops smokers from buying 1 pack of cigarettes or 100 cartons of cigarettes.... this law is silly and a waste of time....

All hail the nation state! Government is here to build the master race. For the greater good.

Tired of being nice. Go fuck your fascist self.

All hail the nation state! Government is here to build the master race. For the greater good.

God some of you are such drama queens. You are making this personal for no good reason. Seriously, grow the fuck up.

One liners like yours .... are not going to convince otherwise. Try again.

But the cost of their health care to the taxpayer is the entire point. You just can't figure that out.

A lesson for you.

The Dog and the Wolf

A gaunt Wolf was almost dead with hunger when he happened to meet a House-dog who was passing by. "Ah, Cousin," said the Dog. "I knew how it would be; your irregular life will soon be the ruin of you. Why do you not work steadily as I do, and get your food regularly given to you?"

"I would have no objection," said the Wolf, "if I could only get a place."
"I will easily arrange that for you," said the Dog; "come with me to my master and you shall share my work."

So the Wolf and the Dog went towards the town together. On the way there the Wolf noticed that the hair on a certain part of the Dog's neck was very much worn away, so he asked him how that had come about.

"Oh, it is nothing," said the Dog. "That is only the place where the collar is put on at night to keep me chained up; it chafes a bit, but one soon gets used to it."

"Is that all?" said the Wolf. "Then good-bye to you, Master Dog."

Better starve free than be a fat slave.

Not per se. But something has to be done about the types and amounts of food people are putting down their throats. Diabetes and heart disease are at an all time high. In a few short years, America will not be equipped to deal with the numbers of people who are disabled due to their lifestyle choices. At the time it came out, no one liked the surgeon general's warning on cigarettes, but it stuck and a lot of people don't smoke or have stopped smoking because of the education about it. If you want to kill yourself with big macks and soda, go right ahead. Don't ask me to pay for your health care and give you a disability check.

Both health insurance and public assistance is based upon the perfectly logical idea of sharing the cost. It prevents some from having everything and some having nothing. Sharing the cost makes it available to all, which over time we have decided is good public policy.

But, at some point, the idea that sharing the cost must also include sharing the responsibility became accepted. The notion that we all have a responsibility to "help" our brothers and sisters to quit doing things we think unwise or ill-advised was never part of the original equation of shared cost. Yet it has become a popular excuse for peering into the lives of others, clucking our tongues in disapproval and setting out to "reform" them. It's taken the idea of shared cost and shared risk into the areas of window-peeping and self-absorbed meddling in the lives of others.

Consequently, what was once the domain of only the most ardent, big-government ultra-liberal, has become the rallying cry of so-called "conservatives" who use their own, private portion of the shared cost as an excuse to impose their vision of what's "right" on others. Not content with simply paying a portion of the shared cost, they wish now to use that share as justification for taking responsibility for the lives of others and enforcing their will through the power of government.

Y'all have been deceived by the fear-mongering of health-Nazi's into giving up your most basic liberty: the right to choose. Yes, you've given up yours too because there are people out there peering into YOUR lives, seeing things they don't like and planning to help YOU do "better" as they see it, just as you are proposing here to do for others. You may not yet be aware of it, but they're out there and you're next.

One liners like yours .... are not going to convince otherwise. Try again.

But the cost of their health care to the taxpayer is the entire point. You just can't figure that out.

A lesson for you.

The Dog and the Wolf

A gaunt Wolf was almost dead with hunger when he happened to meet a House-dog who was passing by. "Ah, Cousin," said the Dog. "I knew how it would be; your irregular life will soon be the ruin of you. Why do you not work steadily as I do, and get your food regularly given to you?"

"I would have no objection," said the Wolf, "if I could only get a place."
"I will easily arrange that for you," said the Dog; "come with me to my master and you shall share my work."

So the Wolf and the Dog went towards the town together. On the way there the Wolf noticed that the hair on a certain part of the Dog's neck was very much worn away, so he asked him how that had come about.

"Oh, it is nothing," said the Dog. "That is only the place where the collar is put on at night to keep me chained up; it chafes a bit, but one soon gets used to it."

"Is that all?" said the Wolf. "Then good-bye to you, Master Dog."

Better starve free than be a fat slave.

Ah, a good lesson indeed. Sadly almost half this country has already sold themselves into slavery for that monthly check. Sometimes I feel like a slave when I see my taxes are enough each year to support a family of 6 under the federal poverty guidelines. I think that the controversial warning on cigarettes along with seeing beloved friends and family die from their use really helped people make the decision to quit or to never smoke. I don't just read the stats on diabetes and other lifestyle related illnesses, I see it every day. And unfortunately our 'health care' system is really just a 'sick care' system. Until someone does something to promote healthy food habits our taxes will continue to rise for other people's poor lifestyle choices. And there is so much excuse making about how the processed foods are all low income people can afford. That is simply not true. I grew up poor and my mother fed us good vegetales and meat. Granted I never ate a steak until I was 18, but we had nutritious food. If my poor little country mother can do it an as little as she had, I know others can.

I think banning extra large sodas for adults is stupid. If people want to become fat, then let them.

But...

1) They pay for their health care by the pound.
2) If their kids are fat, the kids get taken away from them. Letting their kids become fat is a form of abuse. If it's a medical issue, they'd better be treating the kids.

God some of you are such drama queens. You are making this personal for no good reason. Seriously, grow the fuck up.

Point taken. And apologies for making it personal, and for being crude. It was more my intent to make an emphatic statement against the idea that the good of the nation supersedes individual rights.

I really couldn't disagree more. To put it succinctly, I don't care about the 'greater good' of a society that doesn't respect individual rights. In fact, I'd be fundamentally opposed to such a society or government, and act to hasten its downfall.

Last edited:
I think banning extra large sodas for adults is stupid. If people want to become fat, then let them.

But...

1) They pay for their health care by the pound.
2) If their kids are fat, the kids get taken away from them. Letting their kids become fat is a form of abuse. If it's a medical issue, they'd better be treating the kids.

1) what does that even mean?
2) having obese children is already considered abuse

Point taken. And apologies for making it personal, and for being crude. It was more my intent to make an emphatic statement against the idea that the good of the nation supersedes individual rights.

I really couldn't disagree more. To put it succinctly, I don't care about the 'greater good' of a society that doesn't respect individual rights. In fact, I'd be fundamentally opposed to such a society or government, and act to hasten its downfall.

Fair enough.

I just think the idea of personal freedom verses the greater good is very gray issue. I don't believe in thinking in absolutes. American can still be the freest nation in the world without certain personal freedoms.

To me it's scary thought if corporate America ruled the nation.

The whole premise goes back to an argument I had years ago with a Liberal.

They were fully supportive of Government ran health care because it would be cheaper.

As we discussed the issue, other issues came up. Helmet laws...

Yes, he said, since the tax payers were going to be stuck with hospital bill, they had the right to demand and require everyone wear a helmet on bicycles and motorcycles. Same with seatbelts.

And yes, he could see where, since the Government was paying the bill, requiring people to stop smoking would be a good thing.

As we talked about the issues that all came back to health care in one way or another, he finally said that the Government would have to have full control over what people could and couldn't do.

That's lovely, but it is a pointless gesture. It resolves nothing. I can't buy an extra large soda but I can buy 15 large sodas.

Now, if you require that each cup of soda has the number of empty calories printed on it, compared to the total number of calories an adult should be consuming in a day - you might have something.

Been hearing rumors that in NY we soon will not be able to order a large pizza.
We can however order 8 slices to take out ...but will have to call in the order 8 times.
Thanks Bloomberg.

Forum List

Back