Amazing! Scary, but amazing.

I saw a video like that years ago of a lake that drained into an old salt mine. Pretty awesome stuff to behold.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNo-gEPWVnM]Lake Peigneur Disaster - YouTube[/ame]

• Banned
Where did all that stuff go? And i tall ya, i sure would not have wanted to be that close to something that was sucking in the whole river.

8 minute long video of a massive whirlpool in Latvia - Doobybrain.com

It fell through to China! lol

Pretty amazing vid but it creeps me out ... like it's a bottomless pit and the water keeps pouring in.

it sucked everything down that came in its path. The little ice flow was amazing!

I once had a girlfriend like that! :eusa_eh:

I've heard of stuff like that happening but it's cool to see it. I don't think i would stand so close to it however.

Where did all that stuff go? And i tall ya, i sure would not have wanted to be that close to something that was sucking in the whole river.

8 minute long video of a massive whirlpool in Latvia - Doobybrain.com
One possible explanation is that the water is being forced to rotate by the contour of the river bottom, creating something akin to an upside down hydraulic tornado wherein material is being sucked downward and released into the constant flow of water below the surface. It only seems to disappear. I'm betting that the chunks of ice that were sucked under floated back to the top somewhere downstream.

I saw a video like that years ago of a lake that drained into an old salt mine. Pretty awesome stuff to behold.

It's probably something like this.

Where does everything go when a sinkhole swallows it up?

I think the photographer and his son (?) were a bit fool hardy to get so close to it.

Last edited:
Wow.....that massive whirlpool sucking everything in was.....was.........

.......erotic!

Good thing I returned to USMB.
Otherwise, I would've missed it!

Nice video. I wonder if Latvia was in the southern hemisphere it would have spun the other way?

One day just a trickle, the next day a raging torrent:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4JE0ruiOA&list=UUvj7dbOY14kt_MFIR1Y1iwA&index=1]Ice breakup Manitoba May 2nd 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

I was watching how trees were shredded to kindling by the ice chunks as they got sucked under.

Forum List

Back