America used to give a damn redux

I don't spend a lot of time reading about or studying space exploration. Can someone list the truly significant or far-reaching benefits of space exploration? Has the overall cost over the years reaped equivalent (or greater) rewards? If the costs vastly outweigh those rewards is there truly any value in the various, ongoing programs?
Yes. New tech does not simply happen. It is discovered when we face a challenge and meet it.
NASA spin-off technologies - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Were these "tech" discoveries a direct result of space travel and exploration or were these advances discovered here on earth?
Virtually all of them are going to be creations here on earth in order to overcome the obstacles of entering space.

That is the point - humanity NEEDS obstacles to overcome and innovate from. It is the challenge that drives the innovation. You know there were a LOT of people that said the same thing to Christopher Columbus - why explore when we are doing just fine. I, for one, hope to see humanity go beyond this little rock one day and that certainly is not going to happen over night. It is going to take an awful lot of research and resources but the bounties of space are far more than we have here. There is only so much resource and space here - there is virtually an infinite amount of resources if we just have the tenacity and balls to go get them.

Christopher Columbus explored here on earth for the benefit of folks living on earth. I'm trying to see the benefits of "leaving this little rock" for some distant, unknown planet. Why do that when this little rock has everything necessary for human life? So we spend quadrillions of dollars to send someone to another planet. Then what? Just move there and survive just to say that we can?

Americans use to give a damn and want to help others, until to many people became lazy and dependent on the government, and then you have the scam artist we need your money to help those not working.
When you get rid of the dependency on the government you'll start to fix the mess but not until then.

Parroting right wing propaganda will not fix a problem that doesn't exist. If you want to attack the problem in America, start with the Ayn Rand narcissists.
It is a fact if you are given something for doing nothing you grow dependent on who is giving you things. You do not care about what you have because someone else will replace it.
What do you hear the most often from a welfare dependent person I need to get a job or I need more benefits?

We went over this before. Ignorance is not a belief, it is an excuse.

America's safety net is below almost every other industrialized country in every measure. America more closely resembles the likes of Mexico than a modern First World industrialized nation.

LOL. Perhaps America is becoming a "third world nation" because we allow millions upon millions of "third worlders" here in the first place. My gosh that was an ignorant assertion.

I don't spend a lot of time reading about or studying space exploration. Can someone list the truly significant or far-reaching benefits of space exploration? Has the overall cost over the years reaped equivalent (or greater) rewards? If the costs vastly outweigh those rewards is there truly any value in the various, ongoing programs?
Yes. New tech does not simply happen. It is discovered when we face a challenge and meet it.

Were these "tech" discoveries a direct result of space travel and exploration or were these advances discovered here on earth?
Virtually all of them are going to be creations here on earth in order to overcome the obstacles of entering space.

That is the point - humanity NEEDS obstacles to overcome and innovate from. It is the challenge that drives the innovation. You know there were a LOT of people that said the same thing to Christopher Columbus - why explore when we are doing just fine. I, for one, hope to see humanity go beyond this little rock one day and that certainly is not going to happen over night. It is going to take an awful lot of research and resources but the bounties of space are far more than we have here. There is only so much resource and space here - there is virtually an infinite amount of resources if we just have the tenacity and balls to go get them.

Christopher Columbus explored here on earth for the benefit of folks living on earth. I'm trying to see the benefits of "leaving this little rock" for some distant, unknown planet. Why do that when this little rock has everything necessary for human life? So we spend quadrillions of dollars to send someone to another planet. Then what? Just move there and survive just to say that we can?

Are you really THAT obtuse?

USA Today recently offered a list of the “Top 25 Scientific Breakthroughs” that have occurred in its 25 years, and nine of them came from space, eight directly from NASA. In a speech kicking off NASA’s 50th anniversary year, NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said:

“We see the transformative effects of the Space Economy all around us through numerous technologies and life-saving capabilities. We see the Space Economy in the lives saved when advanced breast cancer screening catches tumors in time for treatment, or when a heart defibrillator restores the proper rhythm of a patient’s heart….We see it when weather satellites warn us of coming hurricanes, or when satellites provide information critical to understanding our environment and the effects of climate change. We see it when we use an ATM or pay for gas at the pump with an immediate electronic response via satellite. Technologies developed for exploring space are being used to increase crop yields and to search for good fishing regions at sea.”

Technology transfer has been a mandate for NASA since the agency was established by the National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958. The act requires that NASA provide the widest practicable and appropriate dissemination of information concerning its activities and results. It also provides NASA with the authority to patent inventions to which it has title. The term “spinoff” was invented to describe specific technologies developed by NASA for its missions that are transferred for commercial use or some other beneficial application. Thus far, NASA has documented more than 1,500 spinoff success stories.

Americans use to give a damn and want to help others, until to many people became lazy and dependent on the government, and then you have the scam artist we need your money to help those not working.
When you get rid of the dependency on the government you'll start to fix the mess but not until then.

Parroting right wing propaganda will not fix a problem that doesn't exist. If you want to attack the problem in America, start with the Ayn Rand narcissists.
It is a fact if you are given something for doing nothing you grow dependent on who is giving you things. You do not care about what you have because someone else will replace it.
What do you hear the most often from a welfare dependent person I need to get a job or I need more benefits?

America's safety net is below almost every other industrialized country in every measure. America more closely resembles the likes of Mexico than a modern First World industrialized nation.

LOL. Perhaps America is becoming a "third world nation" because we allow millions upon millions of "third worlders" here in the first place. My gosh that was an ignorant assertion.

WOW, you really ARE an ignorant one aren't you. America's STRENGTH is that we ARE a nation of immigrants.

We heard the ignorant rant of Mitt Romney and his 47%...

If there is a citizenry on this planet that does NOT have an entitlement mentality, it is the American people. American workers receive less benefits, paid leave, health care and take less vacation time than any other people. American workers take pride in the quality of their work and their work ethic.

What Romney said is a gross insult and reveals a dangerous mindset. He reeks of contempt for middle class working people and the poor.

Who are the 47%?

2-10-12bud-f1.jpg

Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percent of the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits.

Moreover, the vast bulk of that 9 percent goes for medical care, unemployment insurance benefits (which individuals must have a significant work history to receive), Social Security survivor benefits for the children and spouses of deceased workers, and Social Security benefits for retirees between ages 62 and 64. Seven out of the 9 percentage points go for one of these four purposes.

80 percent of the workforce has seen their wages decline in real terms over the last quarter-century, and the average household has seen 40 percent of its wealth disappear during the Great Recession. Through it all, families never asked for a handout from anyone, especially Washington. They were left to go on their own, working harder, squeezing nickels, and taking care of themselves. But their economic boats have been taking on water for years, and now the crisis has swamped millions of middle class families. ref ref

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower
Yes we have went over this before and you didn't learn the last time.
You are an enabler of the failure of America.

Are you really THAT obtuse?

USA Today recently offered a list of the “Top 25 Scientific Breakthroughs” that have occurred in its 25 years, and nine of them came from space, eight directly from NASA. In a speech kicking off NASA’s 50th anniversary year, NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said:

“We see the transformative effects of the Space Economy all around us through numerous technologies and life-saving capabilities. We see the Space Economy in the lives saved when advanced breast cancer screening catches tumors in time for treatment, or when a heart defibrillator restores the proper rhythm of a patient’s heart….We see it when weather satellites warn us of coming hurricanes, or when satellites provide information critical to understanding our environment and the effects of climate change. We see it when we use an ATM or pay for gas at the pump with an immediate electronic response via satellite. Technologies developed for exploring space are being used to increase crop yields and to search for good fishing regions at sea.”

Technology transfer has been a mandate for NASA since the agency was established by the National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958. The act requires that NASA provide the widest practicable and appropriate dissemination of information concerning its activities and results. It also provides NASA with the authority to patent inventions to which it has title. The term “spinoff” was invented to describe specific technologies developed by NASA for its missions that are transferred for commercial use or some other beneficial application. Thus far, NASA has documented more than 1,500 spinoff success stories.

Okay. So you finally mentioned a benefit: Satellites! (The materials of which were drawn from earth and made on earth). What are some benefit of sending men to Mars? What were some benefits of having men plant American flags on the moon?

WOW, you really ARE an ignorant one aren't you. America's STRENGTH is that we ARE a nation of immigrants.
Then stop complaining that we're becoming a nation of Mexicans - a third-world nation.

Yes right now we have everything we need, but sooner or later we're going to run out of space, and our raw resources will run out.

Then stop complaining that we're becoming a nation of Mexicans - a third-world nation.

Hello? is that little pea on top of your shoulders full? I didn't say we are becoming a nation of MexicANS, I said out safety net is "below almost every other industrialized country in every measure. America more closely resembles the likes of Mexico than a modern First World industrialized nation"

If there is a citizenry on this planet that does NOT have an entitlement mentality, it is the American people. American workers receive less benefits, paid leave, health care and take less vacation time than any other people. American workers take pride in the quality of their work and their work ethic.

What Romney said is a gross insult and reveals a dangerous mindset. He reeks of contempt for middle class working people and the poor.

Who are the 47%?

2-10-12bud-f1.jpg

Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percent of the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits.

Moreover, the vast bulk of that 9 percent goes for medical care, unemployment insurance benefits (which individuals must have a significant work history to receive), Social Security survivor benefits for the children and spouses of deceased workers, and Social Security benefits for retirees between ages 62 and 64. Seven out of the 9 percentage points go for one of these four purposes.

80 percent of the workforce has seen their wages decline in real terms over the last quarter-century, and the average household has seen 40 percent of its wealth disappear during the Great Recession. Through it all, families never asked for a handout from anyone, especially Washington. They were left to go on their own, working harder, squeezing nickels, and taking care of themselves. But their economic boats have been taking on water for years, and now the crisis has swamped millions of middle class families. ref ref

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."

Wearing your ignorance proudly. Don't let any FACTS get in the way...

Who are the 47%?

2-10-12bud-f1.jpg

Ignorance is the key word but that words suits you better.

Who are the 47%?

2-10-12bud-f1.jpg

What part of the FACTS disrupts your ignorant dogma pea brain?

Who are the 47%?

2-10-12bud-f1.jpg

Here is the fact you cannot get by
Look at section 8 housing.

Who are the 47%?

2-10-12bud-f1.jpg

Here is the fact you cannot get by
Look at section 8 housing.

Social Darwinism (survival of the fittest and or richest) was the philosophy of Hitler and Stalin.

America doesn't HAVE a 'dependency' problem. We have an IGNORANCE problem. You are the poster boy for that gross ignorance.

AGAIN...what part of the FACTS disrupts your ignorant dogma pea brain??

91 percent of the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled —and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits.

I can think of $18 trillion reasons why we can't afford NASA and lots of other nice to haves. Maybe if the deadbeats in this country got off their welfare asses and worked we could pay off the debt and invest in stuff like this.
Then you are very short sighted.

Investment pays off in the long run and NASA is an excellent place to invest.

I can think of dozens of things to cut back in long before we get anywhere near NASA.

HELLO...after 50 years of funding NASA we are $18 freaking trillion dollars in debt. If we start paying off $100 billion a year today it will only take us 180 years to pay off the debt HELLO earth to the math challenged.

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win"

tierraluna01.jpg

To be sure, we are behind, and will be behind for some time in manned flight. But we do not intend to stay behind, and in this decade, we shall make up and move ahead.

The growth of our science and education will be enriched by new knowledge of our universe and environment, by new techniques of learning and mapping and observation, by new tools and computers for industry, medicine, the home as well as the school. Technical institutions, such as Rice, will reap the harvest of these gains.

And finally, the space effort itself, while still in its infancy, has already created a great number of new companies, and tens of thousands of new jobs. Space and related industries are generating new demands in investment and skilled personnel, and this city and this State, and this region, will share greatly in this growth. What was once the furthest outpost on the old frontier of the West will be the furthest outpost on the new frontier of science and space. Houston, your City of Houston, with its Manned Spacecraft Center, will become the heart of a large scientific and engineering community. During the next 5 years the National Aeronautics and Space Administration expects to double the number of scientists and engineers in this area, to increase its outlays for salaries and expenses to $60 million a year; to invest some $200 million in plant and laboratory facilities; and to direct or contract for new space efforts over $1 billion from this Center in this City.

To be sure, all this costs us all a good deal of money. This year's space budget is three times what it was in January 1961, and it is greater than the space budget of the previous eight years combined. That budget now stands at $5,400 million a year--a staggering sum, though somewhat less than we pay for cigarettes and cigars every year. Space expenditures will soon rise some more, from 40 cents per person per week to more than 50 cents a week for every man, woman and child in the United Stated, for we have given this program a high national priority--even though I realize that this is in some measure an act of faith and vision, for we do not now know what benefits await us. But if I were to say, my fellow citizens, that we shall send to the moon, 240,000 miles away from the control station in Houston, a giant rocket more than 300 feet tall, the length of this football field, made of new metal alloys, some of which have not yet been invented, capable of standing heat and stresses several times more than have ever been experienced, fitted together with a precision better than the finest watch, carrying all the equipment needed for propulsion, guidance, control, communications, food and survival, on an untried mission, to an unknown celestial body, and then return it safely to earth, re-entering the atmosphere at speeds of over 25,000 miles per hour, causing heat about half that of the temperature of the sun--almost as hot as it is here today--and do all this, and do it right, and do it first before this decade is out--then we must be bold.

However, I think we're going to do it, and I think that we must pay what needs to be paid. I don't think we ought to waste any money, but I think we ought to do the job. And this will be done in the decade of the sixties. It may be done while some of you are still here at school at this college and university. It will be done during the term of office of some of the people who sit here on this platform. But it will be done. And it will be done before the end of this decade.

Watch and hear this speech...1962-09-12 Rice University - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library Museum

^ This

Well, the first thing you can do is to support their efforts. They can't do anything without public support. Support your local astronomy club. They provide outreach to the public, and nearly all of them are huge supporters of NASA. The more people out there talking to the public about the issues, the more the public will support NASA's efforts. It's a start.

:clap2:

I'm working on it man. That's why I started the other thread. NASA is one of the most important Agencies in the U.S. It should be regarded way above agencies like the FBI and CIA.

I don't know about that, but I agree that it needs to get more support than it gets. NASA is at the forefront of science in this country. But they need more public support. And we can all help them in that regard.

NASA changed the world. It was the dagger in the chest of the Soviet Union. And then we killed it. And now it has to ask Russia for permission to put someone in outer space. It's pathetic.

We don't live in those days anymore, dude. Boogey men are not a valid reason for spending 100 billion dollars on space anymore. It's the science, dummy. And that's what we are doing today.
Sure, but that does not take away from the simple (and pathetic) fact that we scrapped our space capabilities VERY prematurely. You don't cancel a program and then ask for its replacement - you get the replacement first.

the simple fact that we have to ask another nation to go into space is unacceptable. If we want to stay on the bleeding edge ahead of the world then we NEED to be capable. Oldschool is quite right in his assessment here and it has NOTHING to do with a 'boogeyman' but everything to do with Americans pushing the edge and staying ahead.

It wasn't so much a matter of scrapping space capabilities prematurely as much as it was not planning ahead. The Shuttle was an experiment and should have been sold as such from the beginning. It had capabilities like no other space craft ever built, but had serous safety design flaws that were never overcome. Bush was right to cancel the program. His father should have done it before him. Even so, there was never an early push to make a decision as to what came after because the focus was almost exclusively on building the ISS. That was the mandate. This is the fault of Congress, and no one else.

As for pushing the edge, we've always done that and are currently pushing the edge. Yes we currently have to ask Russia for a ride to the ISS. And that is unfortunate. But the notion that because we have to get a ride from them that we have somehow lost our edge is simply ridiculous. We have three spacecraft that will be launched by 2017-2018 that will not only replace the shuttle, but will give us deep space capabilities that no other nation has or will have for at least the next 10-15 years. People tend to forget that this isn't the first interval we've experienced when we didn't have our own ride into space. Other than the Apollo-Soyuz, after our first space station, there was an interval of at least five years before the shuttle where we didn't have an active manned program. None of our astronauts were going into space then. At least we are still in space today. It takes time to retool, redesign, redirect, etc. That's where we are today, between programs. All I can say is have patience. Great things are coming.

I can think of $18 trillion reasons why we can't afford NASA and lots of other nice to haves. Maybe if the deadbeats in this country got off their welfare asses and worked we could pay off the debt and invest in stuff like this.
Then you are very short sighted.

Investment pays off in the long run and NASA is an excellent place to invest.

I can think of dozens of things to cut back in long before we get anywhere near NASA.

HELLO...after 50 years of funding NASA we are $18 freaking trillion dollars in debt. If we start paying off $100 billion a year today it will only take us 180 years to pay off the debt HELLO earth to the math challenged.

You don't cancel your most advance science programs (the ones that provide high paying jobs) that spur more economic activities in order to pay off debts. That is not only short-sighted, it's just plain dumb. We have a military that is leaps and bounds more than we need or can afford. And you don't pay off the national debt by defunding game changing research and development. You pay off the national debt by encouraging such job creating activities. Ultimately, it is putting Americans back to work that will pay off the debt.

:clap2:

I'm working on it man. That's why I started the other thread. NASA is one of the most important Agencies in the U.S. It should be regarded way above agencies like the FBI and CIA.

I don't know about that, but I agree that it needs to get more support than it gets. NASA is at the forefront of science in this country. But they need more public support. And we can all help them in that regard.

NASA changed the world. It was the dagger in the chest of the Soviet Union. And then we killed it. And now it has to ask Russia for permission to put someone in outer space. It's pathetic.

We don't live in those days anymore, dude. Boogey men are not a valid reason for spending 100 billion dollars on space anymore. It's the science, dummy. And that's what we are doing today.
Sure, but that does not take away from the simple (and pathetic) fact that we scrapped our space capabilities VERY prematurely. You don't cancel a program and then ask for its replacement - you get the replacement first.

the simple fact that we have to ask another nation to go into space is unacceptable. If we want to stay on the bleeding edge ahead of the world then we NEED to be capable. Oldschool is quite right in his assessment here and it has NOTHING to do with a 'boogeyman' but everything to do with Americans pushing the edge and staying ahead.

Then why did G.W. Bush cancel the Shuttle program?

See my response.

For many laymen (myself included), it is disappointing in the extreme to see the US reduced to now fielding Apollo Capsules On Steroids, after decades of the far more spacious and flexible shuttles that once graced low earth orbit, bearing our colors.

I understand that the shuttle was not a deep space exploration vehicle, and that it was not suited for anything beyond our own neighborhood, but I had not expected to see us taking the poor-boy route and clapping together an updated rehash of old ideas from the mid-20th.

Well, at least we're almost to the point where we don't have to go begging hat-in-hand to the Russians for a ride into near-space, but crawling back out of a pre-Mercury-Project state (unable to put a man into space on our own) and serving-up Apollo On Steroids isn't exactly my idea of progress.

I understand that 'they' have sugar-plum visions of using the Orion (Apollo-rehash/update/extension) for a Mars mission, sometime between now and the 10th of never, but we can do (and should be doing) better, in fashioning a vehicle system for our first interplanetary sorties.

Orion? Yeah. It gets us back into space, I guess, but, it's a frigging capsule... old idea... settling for far less than we're capable of... bore, bore, bore.

IMHO.

The shuttle was never designed to travel into deep space. That's why it was called a shuttle. It was, from the outset, a LEO spacecraft. I could never have been used for deep space even if you wanted to. If you want to travel to deep space, you need something else. Orion is that something else. It may have the appearance of the Apollo capsule (that is primarily a design necessity to get our crew back to earth safely), but that is where the similarities stop. By itself, Orion can keep a crew of four in space for three weeks. Add a habitation module (which is the plan), and it can stay up there for far longer. That is something Apollo could never do. The longest Apollo mission was Apollo 17, at just over twelve days.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back