Americans DON'T want the debt ceiling raised

Do you honestly believe that most of the people opposing raising the debt ceiling understand what would have to happen in order for the federal government to suddenly stop adding to the debt?

Yes, the govt would have to make do with the income that it has. Some agencies would be shut down, but not the entire govt. Priorities would have to be established. The most important govt functions would get the money and the less important ones would not.

Do you honestly think that the govt can continue increasing the debt forever?

That doesn't answer what I asked. 40% of Medicare is currently paid for above and beyond what the payroll tax covers.

That means 40% of Medicare is paid from the general fund. The general fund is paying 1/3 (roughtly) of its bills with borrowing.

If you freeze the debt ceiling, that 1/3 of the spending has to stop, assuming you don't raise the revenue stream somewhere.

1/3 of 4/10s (aka 40%) is what? 13%? Close enough. How many people currently support cutting Medicare 13% overnight?

And that's just one example.

Want to look at the defense budget example next?????

there is clearly 33% waste in DOD. I worked in the defense industry for over 40 years, I could personally find 25%.

and yes, cut medicare by 1/3. cut everything by 1/3.

sooner or later that is going to have to be done. Better now than when the debt is 50 trillion.

you know, somehow the country survived without medicare, medicaid, welfare, food stamps, NPR, PP, the EPA, DOE, etc for many years.

we have allowed the role of govt to far exceed what the constitution mandates. Much of it needs to be stopped.

and yes, I care about poor people and sick people------thats what charities and churches are for.

Last edited:
I think we should agree to raise it with a deal for zero based budgeting.

No, the govt should be forced to live within its income, just like every american citizen and business.

It some govt agencies get eliminated or have their budgets cut, so be it. It would not cause a govt shutdown, just a reduction of govt spending.

sooner or later we have to bite the bullet and take the hard steps, otherwise this country is destined for financial ruin.

I don't think you're aware of the implication of what I asked for

I know what zero based budgeting means.

We have two obvious paths.

One, do nothing, invest in nothing the way Republicans want.

Or

Invest in education and infrastructure and get America moving again the way Democrats want.

Republicans have ran on a message of "do nothing" for the last two elections. Not a good message.

funny how you libs use "invest" when you mean "borrow and spend". where does it end? how much debt is too much?

No, the govt should be forced to live within its income, just like every american citizen and business.

It some govt agencies get eliminated or have their budgets cut, so be it. It would not cause a govt shutdown, just a reduction of govt spending.

sooner or later we have to bite the bullet and take the hard steps, otherwise this country is destined for financial ruin.

And you wouldn't trade the ability to de-fund obamacare and end other build in year over year expenditure increases for one increase in the debt ceiling?

That's like trading your cow for a gallon of milk.

And you wouldn't trade the ability to de-fund obamacare and end other build in year over year expenditure increases for one increase in the debt ceiling?

That's like trading your cow for a gallon of milk.

if we could trust the dems, I would say yes, but we can't.

Or

Invest in education and infrastructure and get America moving again the way Democrats want.

Republicans have ran on a message of "do nothing" for the last two elections. Not a good message.

Why are gas prices so volatile pussy?

Or

Why are gas prices so volatile pussy?

The Military-Industrial-Petrol-Tech complex likes it that way.

I have a policy of No Clickage on links for which the poster has neither the courtesy nor the intellectual ability to provide a coherent explanation regarding their relevance to the discussion.

Andrea Mitchell Dismisses NBC News Poll Finding Americans Don?t Want to Raise Debt Limit | NewsBusters

Very interesting situation here. Has America finally woke up? Doesn't look like dems will be able to clobber the republicans over the head with this this time.
Americans are dumbasses who are clueless about the ramifications.

Ask the American people:

Should we raise the debt limit, or would you like to see your 401k accounts lose 50% of their value?

Then see what they say.

I have a policy of No Clickage on links for which the poster has neither the courtesy nor the intellectual ability to provide a coherent explanation regarding their relevance to the discussion.

No problem. You would not understand them anyway. They are not meant for you.

Oh, they prove what I already know about you: You Are An Idiot.

No problem. You would not understand them anyway. They are not meant for you.

Oh, they prove what I already know about you: You Are An Idiot.

I love you too! Wanna go cry to a mod that I won't leave you alone again?

Yup. Dems pretend to be the anti war, anti oil, anti subsidy party until they get into power, then they set the new record for selling out. Reps pretend to be fiscally conservative, anti mass welfare and against new big Government programs until like Democrats they get in power, then they set new records for selling out and growing Government and peoples dependency on Government.

Good news is the country is falling apart economically, so we won;t have to deal with either of these parties much longer. The bad news is history shows we'll end up with some form of a dictatorship.

Your idea of good news is fucked.

I don't agree. I want it all to fall apart because this nation needs to re-learn a lesson. Hell the world needs to learn a lesson, and that lesson is coming and there is nothing any of us can do to stop it. It's evolution.
And you think this will all happen without any ill effects on your money, savings, investments, etc.?

Are you willing to see these "lessons" if it devastates your living standard?

44% don't want it raised
22% do

Completely irrelevant. The fact is that they don’t want the celling raised UNTIL it affects them. The instant that the real debate begins, the dems will begin beating the no SS checks, stopping military pay, no disability checks and no more Medicare payments. They will highlight the message with more grandma’s being sent over cliffs and other asinine videos that have no real connection with reality. At that moment, the polls will swing vastly in the other direction. That is simple truth. People are only against the big government expansion when their benefits and privileges are secure. As soon as that evaporates they all go running right back to big daddy government blankets to feel safe. If that were not basic human nature with most people we would never have ended up where we are now.

I would like to think that people have finally managed to gain some principals. I would love to think that they have become forward thinkers in finally understanding that the benefits they are wringing out of the government today are going to kill it tomorrow. I would be absolutely giddy6 if people really were waking up to reality BUT I simply cannot see that as being the case. I look at our current crop of politicians and the current movements in government and I see NOTHING that indicates anyone has woken up one single iota.

^^^^^
Dumbass wingnut confuses debt ceiling with government shutdown.

c128.gif
c128.gif
c128.gif

Forum List

Back