Americans DON'T want the debt ceiling raised

It doesn't matter if the average American wants the debt ceiling raised or not. It will be raised no matter what. Republicans will play political games with it, but in the end they want it raised as much as the Democrats do.

Yup. Dems pretend to be the anti war, anti oil, anti subsidy party until they get into power, then they set the new record for selling out. Reps pretend to be fiscally conservative, anti mass welfare and against new big Government programs until like Democrats they get in power, then they set new records for selling out and growing Government and peoples dependency on Government.

Good news is the country is falling apart economically, so we won;t have to deal with either of these parties much longer. The bad news is history shows we'll end up with some form of a dictatorship.

Your idea of good news is fucked.

I don't agree. I want it all to fall apart because this nation needs to re-learn a lesson. Hell the world needs to learn a lesson, and that lesson is coming and there is nothing any of us can do to stop it. It's evolution.

Yup. Dems pretend to be the anti war, anti oil, anti subsidy party until they get into power, then they set the new record for selling out. Reps pretend to be fiscally conservative, anti mass welfare and against new big Government programs until like Democrats they get in power, then they set new records for selling out and growing Government and peoples dependency on Government.

Good news is the country is falling apart economically, so we won;t have to deal with either of these parties much longer. The bad news is history shows we'll end up with some form of a dictatorship.

I don't agree. I want it all to fall apart because this nation needs to re-learn a lesson. Hell the world needs to learn a lesson, and that lesson is coming and there is nothing any of us can do to stop it. It's evolution.

No thanks. Not interested in any bullshit lessons. I prefer solving problems without undue suffering for the people of this nation.

No thanks. Not interested in any bullshit lessons. I prefer solving problems without undue suffering for the people of this nation.

lol. Evolution does not give a fuck about what you want. Keep trying to buy your way out of this mess with "investing" money that has to be printed and backed by nothing. Of course the more you print, the more you spend, the closer to the you get to the lesson you don't want to learn.

44% don't want it raised
22% do

Completely irrelevant. The fact is that they don’t want the celling raised UNTIL it affects them. The instant that the real debate begins, the dems will begin beating the no SS checks, stopping military pay, no disability checks and no more Medicare payments. They will highlight the message with more grandma’s being sent over cliffs and other asinine videos that have no real connection with reality. At that moment, the polls will swing vastly in the other direction. That is simple truth. People are only against the big government expansion when their benefits and privileges are secure. As soon as that evaporates they all go running right back to big daddy government blankets to feel safe. If that were not basic human nature with most people we would never have ended up where we are now.

I would like to think that people have finally managed to gain some principals. I would love to think that they have become forward thinkers in finally understanding that the benefits they are wringing out of the government today are going to kill it tomorrow. I would be absolutely giddy6 if people really were waking up to reality BUT I simply cannot see that as being the case. I look at our current crop of politicians and the current movements in government and I see NOTHING that indicates anyone has woken up one single iota.

Then why does everything you support only speed us close to that lesson?

the debt is a problem.

but we have to solve this problem in a rational and logical way.

slowly, surely, and progressively bring down the deficit till its zero.

that means more revenue and less spending.

Much more revenue and much less spending!

We need to raise the top rates to 75% on all incomes over $1 million regardless of source (ie dividends). This rate will drop back to 50% once the national debt is back to zero. It will automatically kick back in as soon as the national debt grows again.

We need to eliminate the income cap on social security.

We need to phase out all corporate subsidies across the board.

We need to impose a means test for Medicare.

We need to reduce defense spending by 50% to bring it back to pre-9/11 levels.

We need to gradually transfer social programs like public schools and Medicaid back to the states (and return their current share of federal taxes).

the debt is a problem.

We need to raise the top rates to 75% on all incomes over $1 million regardless of source (ie dividends). This rate will drop back to 50% once the national debt is back to zero. It will automatically kick back in as soon as the national debt grows again.

We need to gradually transfer social programs like public schools and Medicaid back to the states (and return their current share of federal taxes).

Good luck running for office on that oh-so-likely economic platform, genius.

Then why does everything you support only speed us close to that lesson?

I am not buying the claim that economic armageddon is inevitable. I think we can do what needs to be done.....and the things I support are a part of that.

Maybe you are confused about what it is I support?

the debt is a problem.

mostly a good list, but that would end the country. It's odd how people don't get the basic undeniable fact that if you take 75% (in this case) of someones wealth they will in fact either produce less due to less overall capital (less jobs) or move their money out of the country.

Andrea Mitchell Dismisses NBC News Poll Finding Americans Don?t Want to Raise Debt Limit | NewsBusters

Very interesting situation here. Has America finally woke up? Doesn't look like dems will be able to clobber the republicans over the head with this this time.

I think we should agree to raise it with a deal for zero based budgeting.

No, the govt should be forced to live within its income, just like every american citizen and business.

It some govt agencies get eliminated or have their budgets cut, so be it. It would not cause a govt shutdown, just a reduction of govt spending.

sooner or later we have to bite the bullet and take the hard steps, otherwise this country is destined for financial ruin.

Andrea Mitchell Dismisses NBC News Poll Finding Americans Don?t Want to Raise Debt Limit | NewsBusters

Very interesting situation here. Has America finally woke up? Doesn't look like dems will be able to clobber the republicans over the head with this this time.

Do you honestly believe that most of the people opposing raising the debt ceiling understand what would have to happen in order for the federal government to suddenly stop adding to the debt?

Yes, the govt would have to make do with the income that it has. Some agencies would be shut down, but not the entire govt. Priorities would have to be established. The most important govt functions would get the money and the less important ones would not.

Do you honestly think that the govt can continue increasing the debt forever?

I think we should agree to raise it with a deal for zero based budgeting.

No, the govt should be forced to live within its income, just like every american citizen and business.

It some govt agencies get eliminated or have their budgets cut, so be it. It would not cause a govt shutdown, just a reduction of govt spending.

sooner or later we have to bite the bullet and take the hard steps, otherwise this country is destined for financial ruin.

I don't think you're aware of the implication of what I asked for

Do you honestly believe that most of the people opposing raising the debt ceiling understand what would have to happen in order for the federal government to suddenly stop adding to the debt?

Yes, the govt would have to make do with the income that it has. Some agencies would be shut down, but not the entire govt. Priorities would have to be established. The most important govt functions would get the money and the less important ones would not.

That doesn't answer what I asked. 40% of Medicare is currently paid for above and beyond what the payroll tax covers.

That means 40% of Medicare is paid from the general fund. The general fund is paying 1/3 (roughtly) of its bills with borrowing.

If you freeze the debt ceiling, that 1/3 of the spending has to stop, assuming you don't raise the revenue stream somewhere.

1/3 of 4/10s (aka 40%) is what? 13%? Close enough. How many people currently support cutting Medicare 13% overnight?

And that's just one example.

Want to look at the defense budget example next?????

Dean are you really so stupid to think that the very words I WROTE are some kind of insult? Don't be so stupid. If you want to be clever find something embarrassing to post dumbass. I think I once called obama a manchild or something. Now be a good little troll and go play in the street.

PS. Why are gas prices so volatile?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/usmb-badlands/312902-anti-science-gop-14.html#post7836311

Most of what you write is an insult to common sense.

Well then you have nothing to fear since you posess none.

Fear?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/usmb-badlands/312902-anti-science-gop-14.html#post7836311

We have two obvious paths.

One, do nothing, invest in nothing the way Republicans want.

Or

Invest in education and infrastructure and get America moving again the way Democrats want.

Republicans have ran on a message of "do nothing" for the last two elections. Not a good message.

That doesn't answer what I asked. 40% of Medicare is currently paid for above and beyond what the payroll tax covers.

That means 40% of Medicare is paid from the general fund. The general fund is paying 1/3 (roughtly) of its bills with borrowing.

If you freeze the debt ceiling, that 1/3 of the spending has to stop, assuming you don't raise the revenue stream somewhere.

1/3 of 4/10s (aka 40%) is what? 13%? Close enough. How many people currently support cutting Medicare 13% overnight?

Yes! And I want to slash that too

It will get raised.

Financial markets believe it will. If it doesn't, and the market thinks the Republicans are serious, the Dow will drop by 1000 points in 2 days.

And then it will get raised after that.

Yes! And I want to slash that too

You're never going to get the votes to cut the defense budget by a third.

Forum List

Back