Americans for Fair Taxation - FairTax.org

The fair tax would just create a new industry of special interests looking to get certain goods and services exempted, or getting their tax rate reduced.

There is no magic bullet, people.

This is exactly why we are probably going to need a constitutional amendment banning tax expenditures.

[
Well for starters it'd be the same rate for everybody. That's much "fairer" than the progressive system we have today.

So if it's less progressive than the current system, that means that the fair tax must shift the tax burden away from higher income Americans towards lower income Americans.

Is that really the problem in this country? ....that lower income Americans are undertaxed, and higher income Americans are overtaxed?

Many of the tax expenditures which currently exist are highly regressive. The mortgage interest deduction, for example. The wealthier you are, the bigger the tax break you get from the mortgage interest deduction.

A Fair Tax absent any tax expenditures would not be less progressive.

Wealthy people buy yachts and cars and vacations and SUVs and helicopters and lions and tigers and bears, oh my! That's a lot of sales tax. A lot.

And it is a consumption tax, which is superior to a production tax.

How would we have a user tax for oil companies use of the military? Or the Corporations use of the court to delay and deny victims their damages?

You are really trying to change the subject of this thread aren't you?

no, I watched the video and in between the distraction of the old geezer and music I believe they are for a "user tax". I shouldn't have to pay taxes on a pair of jeans so oil companies get get at Iraq's oil.

Please correct me if I am wrong about their position.

How would we have a user tax for oil companies use of the military? Or the Corporations use of the court to delay and deny victims their damages?

no, I watched the video and in between the distraction of the old geezer and music I believe they are for a "user tax". I shouldn't have to pay taxes on a pair of jeans so oil companies get get at Iraq's oil.

I do not believe that oil companies use our military so that would make you wrong.

I do not believe that oil companies use our military so that would make you wrong.

I'm not wrong but it is their position that the CEO of Exxon(which has made record profits since the invasion of Iraq) should only pay a National sales tax for federal revenue such as the National "Defense"?

One of the key features is what they call a prebate which is basically a government check every month for every person in the country.

Why do that when all you need to do is lower the rate and eliminate the need for cutting 300 million checks every month?

The purpose of the prebate is to entirely eliminate the tax for lower income people. Simply lowering the rate of taxation doesn't do that.

No one should be exempt from any taxes.

One of the key features is what they call a prebate which is basically a government check every month for every person in the country.

Why do that when all you need to do is lower the rate and eliminate the need for cutting 300 million checks every month?

The purpose of the prebate is to entirely eliminate the tax for lower income people. Simply lowering the rate of taxation doesn't do that.

They should be exempt up to a level of what is needed for survival.

I'm not wrong but it is their position that the CEO of Exxon(which has made record profits since the invasion of Iraq) should only pay a National sales tax for federal revenue such as the National "Defense"?

How much money did Exxon receive from the oil sales of Iraq?

I don't know, they pump about a million barrels a day.

I don't know, they pump about a million barrels a day.

How much of that oil in Iraq went to exxon? Please do not say you do not know. I say none.

They should be exempt up to a level of what is needed for survival.

No.

If there is an income tax everyone with an income should pay.

Are you exempt from gas taxes or any other federal tax ?

If you can't afford to pay your obligations you can get another job.

The tax would be on gross revenues, not net income, and it would be 20%, so if Exxon sold $300 billion worth of product, it would pay a tax of $60 billion. How much did it pay in taxes last year?

Furthermore, in the end, only individuals pay taxes. The fair tax would fall on all individuals in proportion to what they consume. I don't see why anyone who isn't an envious loser would object to that.

Forum List

Back